ADVERTISEMENT

Not to left out Section A is also interesting/

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Lake Taylor scrapes by Norview, Kings Fork winning well as expected, Deep Creek undefeated but so far not the toughest schedule, Smithfield rebounds big against previously 3-0 York and Lafayette is finding its footing but still a little rough on offense.

Lake Taylor scrapes by Norview, Kings Fork winning well as expected, Deep Creek undefeated but so far not the toughest schedule, Smithfield rebounds big against previously 3-0 York and Lafayette is finding its footing but still a little rough on offense.

Very interesting. I think LT benefits the most from a weak district schedule, and aside from maybe the Phoebus game, should win out. Kings Fork and Deep Creek both have the hardest part of their southeastern district schedules coming up, which is arguably the toughest district in the 757.

Very interesting. I think LT benefits the most from a weak district schedule, and aside from maybe the Phoebus game, should win out. Kings Fork and Deep Creek both have the hardest part of their southeastern district schedules coming up, which is arguably the toughest district in the 757.
LT's game with Norcom will be a toss up. Norcom is winning all their games, but barely and not scoring very much. Yep, KF and Deep Creek have a loaded second half schedule. Smithfield still has legit Warhill and crafty Poquoson to go. Lafayette has an away game at nemesis Poquoson, a very tough place to win.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Deep Creek definitely has the attention of the South Eastern District. Their upcoming matchup against Indian River will likely decide the runner up for the Division.

I know the Smith fans would rather have a softer opponent for their Homecoming game, too!

The last half of the season is brutal for the District & the teams coming out on top will be battle tested for the playoffs within their Classification.

LT's game with Norcom will be a toss up. Norcom is winning all their games, but barely and not scoring very much. Yep, KF and Deep Creek have a loaded second half schedule. Smithfield still has legit Warhill and crafty Poquoson to go. Lafayette has an away game at nemesis Poquoson, a very tough place to win.

Those will be some good games. I'd like see the Poquoson vs Warhill game too.

Deep Creek definitely has the attention of the South Eastern District. Their upcoming matchup against Indian River will likely decide the runner up for the Division.

I know the Smith fans would rather have a softer opponent for their Homecoming game, too!

The last half of the season is brutal for the District & the teams coming out on top will be battle tested for the playoffs within their Classification.

So you don't give anyone a chance at stopping Smith's district streak this year? LOL

Reactions: gwb16 and ForksUp
There will be tough games against I. River (Saturday game at neutral sight) & Deep Creek (Homecoming) As a fan, I hope we get fair refs and an epic battle. The streak is/will be a symptom of their success, not the goal. If it ends then that team who ends it should be expected to at least be in the Regional Finals in their Classification too.

The last time I. River almost beat Smith, they made it to the Regional Finals vs Highland Springs.

I do not give anyone a chance to stop OS streak this year. Some decent teams but not the same caliber as OS. What would Vero beach have done against DC or KF or WB? It would have been ugly.

I do not give anyone a chance to stop OS streak this year. Some decent teams but not the same caliber as OS. What would Vero beach have done against DC or KF or WB? It would have been ugly.

KF has the athletes.

Couple this working against them is they have to avoid penalties. KF dominated WB but 19 penalties at around 150 yards killed them. Second, teams going into a game against Smith, especially SE teams, are intimidated. Then, the first time adversity hits, Smith takes advantage and ends the game. There is the obvious fact that Smith is a great team and very well coached as well.

If KF gets to that game with the 1 loss and is playing clean football, I think Smith coming to Suffolk could get interesting.

KF has the athletes.

Couple this working against them is they have to avoid penalties. KF dominated WB but 19 penalties at around 150 yards killed them. Second, teams going into a game against Smith, especially SE teams, are intimidated. Then, the first time adversity hits, Smith takes advantage and ends the game. There is the obvious fact that Smith is a great team and very well coached as well.

If KF gets to that game with the 1 loss and is playing clean football, I think Smith coming to Suffolk could get interesting.

Kings Fork is the one team with the horses to pull it off, I just don't trust them enough at this point to call that type of upset. I think they'd have to play really well.

KF is a force in 4a regardless. I Don't think my boys or anyone else in 4a could beat OS either.

Reactions: ForksUp
Kings Fork is the one team with the horses to pull it off, I just don't trust them enough at this point to call that type of upset. I think they'd have to play really well.

KF is a force in 4a regardless. I Don't think my boys or anyone else in 4a could beat OS either.

Completely agree. They have to clean up the dumb penalties. I think come playoff time that's what could bite them. It's hard to match the speed they have. The defensive line is a force, will get tested this week against NR. In the middle of that line is 6'3 310 SOPHOMORE Trayshawn Mitchell, younger brother of Tejedra Mitchell. Then with a transfer from Lakeland, kid names Jayree who is probably about 280 and meaner than a rattlesnake. They are stout.

Again, they have talent everywhere. Truthfully, every position defensively is a starter who could play college ball at a high level. They just have to stay disciplined. When they get tested in close games can they avoid the stupid mistake, it didn't happen against WB and they were up 20-8 at one point. We shall see.

No matter what, that Smith streak is amazing considering the talent in this district.

Completely agree. They have to clean up the dumb penalties. I think come playoff time that's what could bite them. It's hard to match the speed they have. The defensive line is a force, will get tested this week against NR. In the middle of that line is 6'3 310 SOPHOMORE Trayshawn Mitchell, younger brother of Tejedra Mitchell. Then with a transfer from Lakeland, kid names Jayree who is probably about 280 and meaner than a rattlesnake. They are stout.

Again, they have talent everywhere. Truthfully, every position defensively is a starter who could play college ball at a high level. They just have to stay disciplined. When they get tested in close games can they avoid the stupid mistake, it didn't happen against WB and they were up 20-8 at one point. We shall see.

No matter what, that Smith streak is amazing considering the talent in this district.

The next few weeks will be interesting in this district. I think the gap between Smith and KF, DC, and IR are closer than most think. Smith has only been tested by Vero Beach, which played a solid game a long way from home, but I wouldn't consider them elite, especially not by Florida standards. But again, Smith is Smith, and even with adjusting to two new head coaches in two years, their streak will be hard to break.

The next few weeks will be interesting in this district. I think the gap between Smith and KF, DC, and IR are closer than most think. Smith has only been tested by Vero Beach, which played a solid game a long way from home, but I wouldn't consider them elite, especially not by Florida standards. But again, Smith is Smith, and even with adjusting to two new head coaches in two years, their streak will be hard to break.

Vero is damn good ball team. Very similar to Smith as far as they aren't going to beat themselves. I believe they had a chance to run away with the Smith game, think they were up a couple scores at half but could be wrong. Smith fought back and made it a game. That's impressive considering Vero will be in the hunt for a state title. Smith deserves credit there.

Vero is damn good ball team. Very similar to Smith as far as they aren't going to beat themselves. I believe they had a chance to run away with the Smith game, think they were up a couple scores at half but could be wrong. Smith fought back and made it a game. That's impressive considering Vero will be in the hunt for a state title. Smith deserves credit there.

I agree. Vero Beach is very good and played with minimal mistakes. I think Smith matched up with them well and could win if they played again. Smith also deserves credit for representing the state against top out of state competition. But if KC and DC can play without being intimidated by Smith and stay close for three quarters, there is a chance they pull off the upset.

I agree. Vero Beach is very good and played with minimal mistakes. I think Smith matched up with them well and could win if they played again. Smith also deserves credit for representing the state against top out of state competition. But if KC and DC can play without being intimidated by Smith and stay close for three quarters, there is a chance they pull off the upset.

Certainly agree. That intimidation factor Smith has going for them right now is huge. Kids all around the district hear about the streak constantly, then game week it gets amped up.

I don't want this to sound like I'm knocking Smith, I'm not they are very good. At this point though, I think the thought of the streak itself almost puts teams away before they even snap the ball. If not then, the first time something bad happens that streak becomes huge in their minds.

On the flip side of that, as you mentioned if a team can keep it close for 3 quarters I think the pressure gets shifted over to Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT