ADVERTISEMENT

Nottoway's Tyler Banks holds offers from Michigan, VT, TN, and more

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
The Junior Nottoway Cougar Athlete who plays QB for Nottoway is 6-2, 225, and is recruited as an athlete, and he also dominates on defense for Nottoway and will likely end up as a safety or "whip" type linebacker at the next level. He's the real deal. He has major offers from the like of VT, Michigan, TN, Boston College and many more. He is considered a heavy Virginia Tech lean, but is very likely to receive an offer from Notre Dame by season's end. Notre Dame has shown high interest. Additionally, the kid is a straight A student and has interest from Princeton and Columbia in the IVY league. This guy looks very similar to Cam Chancellor in High School who was a big guy who could run and played QB and of course, was a terror on defense at Maury and just an all around athlete. Nottoway has themselves another stud who is going to be bigtime at the next level.

I don't know the criteria for Region A and how they are selecting their 4 teams to make the playoffs. Nottoway is 2-0 and has a very, very solid team, the best they've had since their most recent title appearance in 2014 in a long run of state title games in their storied football history. If Nottoway gets in, and assuming they do, expect one heck of a contest with King William and Nottoway in the Region A Title Game. Assuming both get that far, but these two are the clear favorites in that region. It's my understanding that Amelia and Poquoson are way down this year, and Goochland of course is 3A as of 2019, and Thomas Jefferson, the Region A champion from last season who beat King William in a nailbiter for the Region A title last season is not playing football this year. So, King William and Nottoway are the clear favorites to play in that Region A title game and it should be a good one. Being that my wife is from Victoria (Central-Lunenburg), I am somewhat familiar with Central and Nottoway football.

Last edited:
Not to discredit you cat, but Nottoway’s 2 wins aren’t exactly against the New York football Giants. A 5 point squeaker over 1A Lunenburg and then dominating 1A Cumberland, who hasn’t won a game since 2016. Playing in the JRD limits your competition and when you don’t play Buckingham or Goochland it limits it more. I’m sure the same can be said about many teams this spring though, and I’m not trying to discredit you at all. I know as soon as I say this the Cougars could break off a state title run and prove me wrong

Not to discredit you cat, but Nottoway’s 2 wins aren’t exactly against the New York football Giants. A 5 point squeaker over 1A Lunenburg and then dominating 1A Cumberland, who hasn’t won a game since 2016. Playing in the JRD limits your competition and when you don’t play Buckingham or Goochland it limits it more. I’m sure the same can be said about many teams this spring though, and I’m not trying to discredit you at all. I know as soon as I say this the Cougars could break off a state title run and prove me wrong

Knightfan, I agree with you about Nottoways schedule, but keep this in mind, Central Lunenburg is much better this year. There only losses are to Nottoway and Goochland. Goochland beat Central 28-12, and Goochland is ranked 4th in the state in 3A and are the real deal. That game was 14-12 with 10 minutes left. So, even though Nottoway has played 2 1A schools, I agree with you it's not impressive on paper, but Central is very good and gave Goochland a battle, and Nottoway beat them by 5, but keep in mind Central and Nottoway are a rival game

I'm only going much by what I've been told from relatives in that area and everything I've been told is that this Nottoway team is the best they've had since 2014. Not saying they are walking to a state title, but they are much improved. Kind of like Tazewell in the West. They have a senior bunch that they've been talking about since little league and junior high that was expected to do well. The same at Nottoway, but most of their starters are juniors and were sophomores last season and were expected to do well. Very, very talented. I agree with you though, not playing BC and Goochland can provide for few to very little L's, but I'm just saying they are improved and a team to watch out for.

Should learn a bit about Region A this week as King William is scheduled to play Poquoson, and Nottoway plays Amelia. Those are the likely 4 teams (if everyone is eligible). Could even end up those same matchups

Reactions: Fairlawncat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT