ADVERTISEMENT

offense snaps before ready for play whistle

Apply football sense. Blow whistle and shut it down. No play, obviously.

Is it a foul for Delay of Game? Depends.

You can call delay of game of you think it was done for a specific or belligerent reason or to gain an advantage in some way. Or if it was just the QB didn't realize the RFP hadn't been blown when it was reasonable to think it had (i.e., the chains were having a problem or an official was addressing something on the sideline and was not ready) then just reset it and do it right.

Thanks. It was called illegal procedure and penalized 5 yards. Made no difference in outcome, but didn't seem to me to be the right call. Did see that it happened in a college game this weekend and was penalized as delay of game.

Thanks. It was called illegal procedure and penalized 5 yards. Made no difference in outcome, but didn't seem to me to be the right call. Did see that it happened in a college game this weekend and was penalized as delay of game.
It is a delay of game under NCAA rules. I'm a fairly experienced NCAA official and haven't been in a game where this was called in years but I will say that it is flagged when it happens at that level. I definately agree that talking to high school kids the first time it happens is the right thing though. Advancing a kick more than 5 yards after a fair catch is also flagged as a delay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT