Winchester
1. Loudoun County (6-0) 27.0
2. Woodgrove (4-2) 26.2
3. Sherando (6-1) 26.0
4. Kettle Run (7-1) 26.0
5. Riverside (6-2) 24.8
6. Millbrook (6-2) 23.1
7. Liberty (4-3) 23.0

Woodgrove looking to win out and grab # 1 seed.
Sherando would probably be # 2 seed if they win out.
L.C is looking at 3 or 4 seed if they lose.
K.R 3 if they win out
Riverside has to win out to stay in and be a 5 seed
Millbrook must win 1 of 2 - upsetting Sherando could muddy the whole thing.

Maybe I misunderstood the other poster's point. I thought he was salty that his team dropped because somebody else was getting easy points by playing a 6A Fairfax County school.

In the grand scheme of things; is playing a lame 6A that you can beat worth it if that same lame 6A team can't beat anybody else?

For points. Yes.

When Woodgrove has 2 losses and sits above kettle run with the only one loss to our #1 seed, playing higher grade schools might be worth the risk. Doesn’t Woodgrove play class 5?

Yes. I am salty. And old. Lol.

For points. Yes.

When Woodgrove has 2 losses and sits above kettle run with the only one loss to our #1 seed, playing higher grade schools might be worth the risk. Doesn’t Woodgrove play class 5?

Yes. I am salty. And old. Lol.
Not sure Kettle Run is consistent enough to put someone like that on their schedule. It’s hit or miss with them and the time they do they might get crushed. In 4B their 4 seed willl have a higher rating than 4C’s 1 seed.

Not sure Kettle Run is consistent enough to put someone like that on their schedule. It’s hit or miss with them and the time they do they might get crushed. In 4B their 4 seed willl have a higher rating than 4C’s 1 seed.

Hey OC...i agree we are not good enough year to year by a long way! As someone said I was just Salty with the seeding drop. Lol.

I think I get it. So if schools try schedule just for points and then lose to the upper classes it can hurt them in playoff seeding. That kinda makes sense to keep the ADs honest. Do I have that correct??

Reactions: OCBoy
Hey OC...i agree we are not good enough year to year by a long way! As someone said I was just Salty with the seeding drop. Lol.

I think I get it. So if schools try schedule just for points and then lose to the upper classes it can hurt them in playoff seeding. That kinda makes sense to keep the ADs honest. Do I have that correct??
I totally get your point but i think my point meant it was less likely a 6A would even schedule a 4A

Reactions: WarrentonCougar21
Woodgrove plays a couple of Class 5s, but they are all geographic rivals from Loudoun County. No Fairfax County school on their schedule. They also played a Class 3 school.

Bottom line is Woodgrove has played Broad Run, Massaponax, and Tuscarora. That is a stout OOD schedule and they have earned the nod. They are really frickin’ good but, Loudoun County matches up with them really well.

Someone can check my math, but I believe Kettle Run would have been better off NOT taking the forfeit from Manassas Park. A win over a class 3 school with no chance of bonus points brings down a good team's rating.

Kettle Run would be in second place with 26.6 if they had just left deleted Manassas Park game from schedule. But that was a tough call to make, because you don't know before the season how good you would be doing. Another loss or two, and people would be asking, "Why didn't you take the forfeit?" I predict that Kettle Run wins out and has higher seed than Sherando, so no problems.

Reactions: OCBoy

Class 6 with a 2-8 record gets you 30 points divided by 10=3 points at end of season.
Class 5 with 4-6 record gets you 32 points divided by 10= 3.2 points at end of season.
Class 4 with 8-2 record gets you 38 points divided by 10= 3.8 points at end of season.
Class 3 with 9-1 record gets you 38 points divided by 10= 3.8 points at end of season.
Beating teams with many wins is better than just "playing up".

But also,
Class 6 10-0 (you lose to them) gets you 26 points
Class 5 1-9 (you win) gets you 26 points
Class 4 2-8 (you win) gets you 26 points

A loss to great team is okay

Reactions: VolNation85
No system is perfect but I really believe this is the best one the VHSL has had during my time since I was in high school. I graduated in 2003 and I remember when the old 4A Region 3 only took 4 teams for playoffs and it was based strictly on records. That region at the time was made up of the Seminole and River Ridge districts respectively and only the top two teams from each district got in. Heritage was 10-0 and Liberty-Bedford was 9-1 (only loss to Heritage) so they were the two that got in from the Seminole while an 8-2 Amherst team (only losses to Heritage and Liberty) was left out because only two teams from each district advanced.

Reactions: OCBoy and wikki
No system is perfect but I really believe this is the best one the VHSL has had during my time since I was in high school. I graduated in 2003 and I remember when the old 4A Region 3 only took 4 teams for playoffs and it was based strictly on records. That region at the time was made up of the Seminole and River Ridge districts respectively and only the top two teams from each district got in. Heritage was 10-0 and Liberty-Bedford was 9-1 (only loss to Heritage) so they were the two that got in from the Seminole while an 8-2 Amherst team (only losses to Heritage and Liberty) was left out because only two teams from each district advanced.
Salem also missed out at 8-2 with their losses coming to William Byrd (7-3) by 4 Points and Blacksburg by 1 point. Blacksburg (8-2) and William Fleming (8-2) advanced from this side of the state even though Salem beat William Fleming 26-7 and Fleming advanced to the championship game. Yeah the playoffs were ridiculous back then some people would argue the playoffs have gone too far the other way but I would rather have too many than not enough.

I remember that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT