5. GW
6. Lafayette
7.Eastern view
8.kings fork
9. Woodgrove
10. Glass
I could be wrong, so dont quote me in this one

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Wow, no Louisa or Monacan, but who do you take out? Not sure Dinwiddie is a top 5 team right now. We shall see in the next few weeks how these rankings stack up.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Wow, no Louisa or Monacan, but who do you take out? Not sure Dinwiddie is a top 5 team right now. We shall see in the next few weeks how these rankings stack up.

Yes - that was correct. Louisa was the last team out (I considered them as high as 4th or 5th at one point in the summer even) and then Monacan, which then I gave even more thought to after I got Coach's survey back and saw they are projected to start 11 - yes, 11 - starters on defense. Do have to replace that terrific QB/RB combo of Fludd and Bridy (now at VMI).

Beyond those two -- Deep Creek, Dominion, William Byrd, Charlottesville, Millbrook and Heritage-Leesburg also received consideration. Of course, with Heritage-Leesburg's previous Head Coach Reed Prosser just recently taking the Athletic Director gig at Handley, the slid down a bit on that list.

Class 4 was very tough to project... and I'm sure there will be a couple misses. Woodgrove is my surprise this year, similar to King's Fork from last year (which we hit on), so watch out for them.

The only division that was harder to rank for me this year was Class 2, where I think there are literally 15 teams deserving of our Top 10, yet I don't feel comfortable about any - even the reigning 3-time State Champ Appomattox (who we didn't put at the top, which I'm sure many will disagree with) - at #1. Love the freshman QB at Appomattox - Tre Lawing - though. He's going to be special. Just think it'll be more beyond this season.

Yes - that was correct. Louisa was the last team out (I considered them as high as 4th or 5th at one point in the summer even) and then Monacan, which then I gave even more thought to after I got Coach's survey back and saw they are projected to start 11 - yes, 11 - starters on defense. Do have to replace that terrific QB/RB combo of Fludd and Bridy (now at VMI).

Beyond those two -- Deep Creek, Dominion, William Byrd, Charlottesville, Millbrook and Heritage-Leesburg also received consideration. Of course, with Heritage-Leesburg's previous Head Coach Reed Prosser just recently taking the Athletic Director gig at Handley, the slid down a bit on that list.

Class 4 was very tough to project... and I'm sure there will be a couple misses. Woodgrove is my surprise this year, similar to King's Fork from last year (which we hit on), so watch out for them.

The only division that was harder to rank for me this year was Class 2, where I think there are literally 15 teams deserving of our Top 10, yet I don't feel comfortable about any - even the reigning 3-time State Champ Appomattox (who we didn't put at the top, which I'm sure many will disagree with) - at #1. Love the freshman QB at Appomattox - Tre Lawing - though. He's going to be special. Just think it'll be more beyond this season.

@matthew328826 I was not being critical. You guys always do a fine job and your record is very accurate. Everybody except Hoos whiffed on Louisa last year. I know the Lions lost a ton of leadership and talent, but I am fairly convinced they will be a factor in Region B at the least. If Monacan can get sound line play they will be very good. We shall find out tonight against the run heavy Hanover Hawks.

@matthew328826 I was not being critical. You guys always do a fine job and your record is very accurate. Everybody except Hoos whiffed on Louisa last year. I know the Lions lost a ton of leadership and talent, but I am fairly convinced they will be a factor in Region B at the least. If Monacan can get sound line play they will be very good. We shall find out tonight against the run heavy Hanover Hawks.

I didn't miss on Louisa sir.... I knew it and said it all along! Yes we will see on Monacan. I thought if they were in the top 10 it should be in the back half. So number 12 is ok with me given the unproven nature.

Good to see WB getting some respect even with Basham gone.

It's not as big of a factor early, when putting together a pre-season ranking, but later in the year, you really need to remember who teams lost to.

This is a poor example, but it makes the point, Denbigh wiill almost definitely be 0-3 out the gate. But, having faced Dinwiddie, Hampton and Phoebus, 0-3 could be very mis-leading.

Hanover is another good example most years. They play Highland Springs, Henrico, and Varina, plus a couple of other heavyweights. They could limp into the playoffs as low as 5-5, and still be lethal.

Still, at the pre-season point, every team is un-defeated and un-scored upon. You only have their previous track record, which players they lost and who returned. We are all going to be way off in both directions on a few. And that is one of the things that makes high school football such a blast to follow.

Nice job as always. It is tough when everyone has very so many variables. I would like to know, where do you think Jefferson Forest should be ranked? It may be premature to say Top 10, but I believe they are a strong candidate for Comeback team of the Year if such an award existed.

Reactions: matthew328826
Oh no you're fine, I knew you weren't being critical. I was just chiming in, giving some logic and thoughts to the conversation. You're fine.

I definitely think Louisa will be a factor in Region 4B, for sure. It was an extremely, extremely tough call, and one that I may - probably will - regret. The more and more I studied them, I just worried with some of the graduation departures and new faces, along with a new Head Coach, about them replicating what they did in 2017. But they should be fine and very much a factor to where it won't stun me by any means to see them get back to where they did last year, playing in the final game or at the very least advancing beyond the opening round of the playoffs.

Nice job as always. It is tough when everyone has very so many variables. I would like to know, where do you think Jefferson Forest should be ranked? It may be premature to say Top 10, but I believe they are a strong candidate for Comeback team of the Year if such an award existed.
Totally my fault there - I had Jefferson Forest on my Honorable Mention list -- they were actually 3rd behind Louisa and Monacan, just in front of Deep Creek. Really like the group Bob Christmas has. Should put up points in bunches, lot of weapons... big question mark for me was the defense. But they were a team when I began studying them had them initially around the 7/8 spot... then they just kept falling when I evaluated teams I felt were better. They could prove me wrong and they're a real sleeper / surprise team for sure. Believe they have 15 starters (say 8 on offense and 7 on defense) back from what we got on their survey.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Matthew thanks for the update. Wow kickoffs just around the corner and for August it fells a lot like fall.

Just because it's funny I had to.

Doesnt every team despite good or bad START 11 players on defense lol not counting the 8 man games :);):p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT