ADVERTISEMENT

Officials Needed!

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
High School Football EVERYWHERE needs more officials! If you’re looking to stay a part of the game or to give back to the next generation, becoming a referee is a great way to do that and make some money at the same time!
FPr5QOmXsA4IG9Y

Check out http://cvfoa.org for more info!

The headline could have read High School officials needed in all sports. No one wants to put up with the crap from fans players and coaches.

This is true but it overlooks a greater truth: Officiating is fun.

For those of us who do it, we deal with the negative aspects of this avocation. They're out there and, it's true, they are getting worse. But what's also true is that there are many, many positives. Sometimes it takes a little while for those positives to become appearant. You have to get to know the other men and women in the association and make those friendships.

In the first year or towo off officiating any sport, you're not going to be very good but you're going to get better. this is also the time frame when you work the sports in middle schools and rec programs where parents are at their worst. Get a couple years experience and you move up to games where the coaches are more professional, the games are usually on fields with fences, and you've learned how to ignore the nonsense.

It's why, after all these years, I still do it. It's also why the guys who work for 5 or 6 years are going to keep coming back. We have made some of our closest friendships on the fields and in the cars traveling to and from games.

Plus, if you're an official and you go 2,000 miles away and happen to meet someone who's also an official, there's a bond, an understanding and a connection.

Pointing out that there are behavioral problems among people involved in sports that's driving away officials doesn't help convince anyone thinking about it to give it a shot. I can't recommend it enough. I always say officiate because I want to give back to the game, but the truth it, the game is definitely giving something special to me, too.

For those of us who do it, we deal with the negative aspects of this avocation. They're out there and, it's true, they are getting worse. But what's also true is that there are many, many positives. Sometimes it takes a little while for those positives to become appearant. You have to get to know the other men and women in the association and make those friendships.

In the first year or towo off officiating any sport, you're not going to be very good but you're going to get better. this is also the time frame when you work the sports in middle schools and rec programs where parents are at their worst. Get a couple years experience and you move up to games where the coaches are more professional, the games are usually on fields with fences, and you've learned how to ignore the nonsense.

It's why, after all these years, I still do it. It's also why the guys who work for 5 or 6 years are going to keep coming back. We have made some of our closest friendships on the fields and in the cars traveling to and from games.

Plus, if you're an official and you go 2,000 miles away and happen to meet someone who's also an official, there's a bond, an understanding and a connection.

Pointing out that there are behavioral problems among people involved in sports that's driving away officials doesn't help convince anyone thinking about it to give it a shot. I can't recommend it enough. I always say officiate because I want to give back to the game, but the truth it, the game is definitely giving something special to me, too.
That was very eloquently stated, White Hat.

I really enjoy officiating basketball. Just great to be able to still run with the kids going on 70 years old.

You mean 70 years young, I believe.

What is the oldest official that any of you have seen actively officiating at the high school level? (Excluding clock operators and the like.)

You mean 70 years young, I believe.

What is the oldest official that any of you have seen actively officiating at the high school level? (Excluding clock operators and the like.)

There have been a handful of guys who havebeen out there into their 70s, but only one of them really had any businss still out there. He was in great shape and you'd never guess he was over 70. he wanted to officiate for 50 years and he got it done. The other guys were kind of fooling themselves. One fella noticed another older guy not keeping up and he said "I hope I don't ever look like that. I hope if I stay too long someone will tell me." I was still in my 20s and didn't want to be disrespectful, but I just said "Hmmm, well, funny you should say that..." and sort of left it there, so he wasn't sure if i was joking or being serious.

Age isn't everything. We've had several guys who started well into their 40s and do a good job. Almost all of them say they wish they had started sooner.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I was talking with a guy recetly about taking up football officiating. He had read a book called "Tribe" by Sebstian Junger and talked about it. In that book, there are guys who say being in combat was the best times of their lives.

I'm not suggesting for a second that officiating is akin to combat, but the point is that the camaraderie is a powerful positive feeling. Anyone who's been a part of a military unit, close-knit team, a fraternity, a club that has strong bonds, anything like that, will understand what that feels like and it's absolutely one of the best part aspects of being an official.

You become part of a team and, if you work with your teammates so that you will all do the best job possible, you'll find officiating rewarding.

Here's the other thing: you don't have to actually know all that much about football. I couldn't coach football for a minute. I've had coaches ask me about the three-technique of the man-over or some other jargon and I don't remember, or probably never knew, what that even means. It doesn't matter. Those things have nothing to do with undrstanding the rules or how to call the game. Everything an offiial needs to know can easily be taught without requiring anyone to understand how to diagram a tight end drag.

Ex players may have slight advantage, mostly stemming from their love of the game. But some have a disadvantage, too, in that they liked the validation of winning and the glory of hearing cheers. That's not a thing for officials.

One guy believes offensive linemen and basketball players make the best officials because of one key skill. Can you guess it? It's the ability to do your job without looking at the ball. You know where the ball is, but you're not watching it, you're watching the other team and reacting t their actions in conjunction with your responsibilities.

Seems like good logic.

If you are interested, now's the time to make initial contact with your local association. Here is a list of commissioners. If you call the wrong one, they'll put you in touch with the right one.

If you hav trouble with the link, this page is on the VHSL web site. Click on "Officials" at the top

I did a J/V-Varsity girls basketball double this year with a crew that consisted of a 77 year old man-75 year old lady and me. I am 69. Probably one of the oldest to officiate a varsity basketball game.

I want to rethink my comments?

You literally called these guys cheaters and said they are on the take. You said they take money and enjoy screwing over kids. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE YOU COULD HAVE SAID ABOUT THREE UMPIRES. YOU WENT AFTER THEM AS HARD AS YOU COULD. You rethinking that? Sounds like you're doubling down. But I guess it's fine for you to come on here and hurl horrible insults and then if someone offends your delicate sensibilities, you get your back up. You may think you're above criticism, but if you throw around the most brutal insult that you could have possibly typed, you're not too good to get something back.

You coach and teach? Great. The rosters of officials used to be full of coaches and teachers who coached one sport and officiated another. They taught for nickels and coached for pennies, and that was THE EXACT REASON they also officiated.
Great response. I have heard this many times. If you are officiating high school sports to make money. You are in it for all the wrong reasons.

Guys, and gals, the older I get, the more I realize how elite you are.
Thank you for being who you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT