ADVERTISEMENT

Officials shouldn't worry!

Feb 27, 2009
Normally the losing fans are most upset at the officiating. Most fans don't walk away saying what a great game being called both ways equally. They normally mean their team won a close one. At all levels fans complain about officiating. It seems to me any great high school official could answer a call to officiate college the next day; in a few short minutes could call the bases or balls and strikes in the major leagues. When I saw a major league umpire not call an out at the last out of a perfect game, in my opinion he couln't be any better than a high school ref the call was so obvious. I think when the major league umpires strike, the calling up of umpires from some lower ranks does not actually hurt the game. Am I wrong!

I got started back in the officiating a little older than most. I do a mix of "B" team,jv and varsity every year. Some of the toughtest games to do are the "B" teams when the little gyms are packed and the fans are very enthustatic and the skills are not up to a high level yet. One of the easiest games I have ever done was D 3 scrimmage this year. Skill levels were great and not a lot to call.
eek.gif

The better the level of play, the easier it is to call.

I once umpired a Little League baseball game. The losing pitcher issued 19 walks. after the game I heard him tell someone that I was reason the team lost. He was so wild, I was giving him "6 inches off plate" and he still couldn't throw a strike.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT