ADVERTISEMENT

Ok brain trust, help me out please.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Isnt there a very seldom used rule that allows a team chose to do something wierd with a free kick choice at the end of the first half?

Isnt there a very seldom used rule that allows a team chose to do something wierd with a free kick choice at the end of the first half?

While it makes the most sense to use it at the end of a half (however still an extremely rare occurrence), the “fair catch free kick” can be used anytime during the game. It is something I’ve always wanted to see myself.

After a receiver has completed a legal fair catch or an awarded fair catch on a free kick (kickoff) or scrimmage kick (punt or field goal attempt), the receiving team can elect to free kick. This is a special free kick scenario in that if the ball passes through the uprights, 3 points are awarded to the kicking team just like on a field goal. The benefit of this compared to a normal field goal formation is the defense is required to stay 10 yards beyond the ball until the kick, as this is treated like a normal free kick down (this is a “kickoff” that takes place wherever the ball is fair caught). So, essentially this takes out the ability for the kick to be blocked.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank you sir. I wonder if WhiteHat or some of the other officials on here have ever witnessed it?

I have not witnessed it in person but remember when it happened about 20 years ago in my neck of the woods. I've had a couple coaches ask me about it. I really want to see it happen.

There's one more really odd situation that arises from this rule. Consider the following play.

With 10 seconds to go in the game Blue team leads by 2 but has fourth down at midfield. They just want to get a punt off and hope the clock expires. The punt is away but the white team's receiver calls for a fair catch to prevent any more time running off the clock, preferring to run a play than to hope for a return.

The fair catch is made at the White team's 10 yard line with 3 seconds to go. While a free kick is an option, no one is going to make a 100 yard kick, so they run a pass play. The play exploits the prevent defense for a big gain to the Blue 40 where the ball carrier is tackled but there was a 5-yard facemask foul on the tackle.

Time expired during the down but because White will accept the penalty to the Blue 35, there will be one untimed down.

White's coach informs the referee he wants to free kick from the 35. Blue has to give 10 yards. No chance for a bad snap. Basically an unopposed chance for the game-winner. Is this allowed?

Sure is. When a live ball penalty on the defense is accepted the down shall be replayed. All options available to the offense before the play remain, so because there was a free kick option before White's first play, that option remains.

Let's take it one step further. Say White's long play ended at the Blue 10 yard line and the measurement for the facemask penalty puts it at the 5. White wants a free kick, so does Blue still have to give 10 yards? Will Blue's free kick line be 5 yards deep in the end zone? Yes and yes.

Can you imagine the scene if a game ended that way?

I have not witnessed it in person but remember when it happened about 20 years ago in my neck of the woods. I've had a couple coaches ask me about it. I really want to see it happen.

There's one more really odd situation that arises from this rule. Consider the following play.

With 10 seconds to go in the game Blue team leads by 2 but has fourth down at midfield. They just want to get a punt off and hope the clock expires. The punt is away but the white team's receiver calls for a fair catch to prevent any more time running off the clock, preferring to run a play than to hope for a return.

The fair catch is made at the White team's 10 yard line with 3 seconds to go. While a free kick is an option, no one is going to make a 100 yard kick, so they run a pass play. The play exploits the prevent defense for a big gain to the Blue 40 where the ball carrier is tackled but there was a 5-yard facemask foul on the tackle.

Time expired during the down but because White will accept the penalty to the Blue 35, there will be one untimed down.

White's coach informs the referee he wants to free kick from the 35. Blue has to give 10 yards. No chance for a bad snap. Basically an unopposed chance for the game-winner. Is this allowed?

Sure is. When a live ball penalty on the defense is accepted the down shall be replayed. All options available to the offense before the play remain, so because there was a free kick option before White's first play, that option remains.

Let's take it one step further. Say White's long play ended at the Blue 10 yard line and the measurement for the facemask penalty puts it at the 5. White wants a free kick, so does Blue still have to give 10 yards? Will Blue's free kick line be 5 yards deep in the end zone? Yes and yes.

Can you imagine the scene if a game ended that way?

Guarantee most coaches wouldn't think to do that and most officials wouldn't allow it even if a coach asked for it. Gotta have a heck of an understanding of the rules to get that deep.

Guarantee most coaches wouldn't think to do that and most officials wouldn't allow it even if a coach asked for it. Gotta have a heck of an understanding of the rules to get that deep.

I wouldn’t say most officials wouldn’t allow it. Most officials would go through the thought process if the coach asked and realize they are replaying the down and it was legal.

Unless my memory fails me and I am remembering a similar, but different, situation I saw this in a Westfield game two years ago when they had Brian Delaney as their kicker (HS All-American, UVA). WF fair caught a punt near midfield then had Delaney attempt a free kick. Delaney could kick the ball 70+ yards off a tee, so it was an option. I don't recall if he made it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT