ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, let me be the first.....!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Which four teams from the West, and the East, will be the preseason picks for next season? This will take a little research for most of us, outside of our own teams. We need to see who is losing impact players to graduation. And whose underclassmen came into their own as this season progressed.

Salem should be up there. A lot returning including QB Noah Beckley and dangerous WR Viante Tucker(averages about 25ypc). Do lose Ramsey and Claybourne but the idea is they're replaced with Ramsey's bigger, faster little brother Deangelo(SO this year) and Claybourne is replaced with Avante Robinson(FR this year) who is basically Claybourne when he was younger(undersized, strong, speedy). Lots of receiving talent returns(all of it, I think, and there's 4 kids who can catch balls and do damage, more WR talent than I think Salem's ever had before), excellent kicker returns, D had 6 soph. starters on it this year so they're back with Riley Fox(JR this year) leading the way.

The RBs, Wall(OL), Ponton(CB), and a few others will be missed but Salem is in a very good place compared to where they were when this season started and they were replacing 17 of 21 starters. Too early for me to see how good I feel but I think another deep playoff run is in reach.

Last edited:
Radio said JF had a lot of seniors so it may be hard for them to return. Coach Christmas did a great job when he was at JF before and then again the last couple years. With his offense who knows...

Well, as far as the east goes, you have to put Lake Taylor near the top. Until someone proves they are not a top contender, they are a top contender in my book.

Monacan loses a few good players, but return a phenomenal QB. And Coach Jim Henderson has proven he can mold whatever hand he is dealt into a top team.

Hanover will still have Cheatham. If they keep most of those offensive lineman, they could be tough. But I heard they will be hit hard by graduation.

Dinwiddie should be good again. But I'll leave that for someone else to discuss.

I don't know what Courtland loses, but if they are not hit hard, you have to believe that they will be back.

That's about all I know st this time, without doing some serious research.

Which four teams from the West, and the East, will be the preseason picks for next season? This will take a little research for most of us, outside of our own teams. We need to see who is losing impact players to graduation. And whose underclassmen came into their own as this season progressed.
Hate to say this, but Cheatham is back at Hanover and they will be a force to be reckoned with. Monacan, Dinwiddie lose a few players, but their offenses should be stellar. LT and Salem will reload. Have no clue about the Northwest, but look for John Champe and Sherando to be in the mix. Chancellor and EV should be a factor as well.

GW Danville has some young talent.

Hate to say this, but Cheatham is back at Hanover and they will be a force to be reckoned with. Monacan, Dinwiddie lose a few players, but their offenses should be stellar. LT and Salem will reload. Have no clue about the Northwest, but look for John Champe and Sherando to be in the mix. Chancellor and EV should be a factor as well.

GW Danville has some young talent.
You left out Louisa!?!?!?!?

Well, as far as the east goes, you have to put Lake Taylor near the top. Until someone proves they are not a top contender, they are a top contender in my book.

Monacan loses a few good players, but return a phenomenal QB. And Coach Jim Henderson has proven he can mold whatever hand he is dealt into a top team.

Hanover will still have Cheatham. If they keep most of those offensive lineman, they could be tough. But I heard they will be hit hard by graduation.

Dinwiddie should be good again. But I'll leave that for someone else to discuss.

I don't know what Courtland loses, but if they are not hit hard, you have to believe that they will be back.

Hanover lost their entire OL and TE

I think Pulaski Co can be a threat next year. Return entire backfield and much of the O line. QB also.

Reactions: BleedingNavy

Eastern View will lose its QB but will return mostly everyone else. Add in some JV players from that good team especially the dynamic Matt Lowry the JV QB and they should be about the same. But the team out of this area that needs to be watched is Chancellor. They return EVERYONE!! LT has put the east in such high regards it's hard to tell who might be a contender or pretender

Barring losses due to injury or other unforeseen circumstances, Salem should be a pretty strong favorite for a three-peat in the West. And I imagine LT will still have to be dealt with in the East.

As far as other teams in 4A West, there are three who I think will be up there, though I know very little about their returning personnel: Sherando, Woodgrove, and GW. Pulaski might be capable of reaching the regional semis. And William Byrd might be a dark horse to make the final four. The Terriers missed the playoffs at 6-4 this season, but lost to Northside, Magna Vista and Botetourt by a combined total of seven points. I look for Byrd to contend for a top eight seed.

I know JF was senior-dominated, and I think Champe was as well. Not sure we'll see either of them hang around very long in the postseason in 2016. But, ya never know!

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. As expected, it looks like another typical year. The same teams are on everyone's list and the question is who just might take that next step up and be the semi expected surprise.

Four teams I'd like to hear a prediction on are:

Charlottesville
Dominion
Amherst
Smithfield.

These teams may not be in the final four picture in either region, but they all seemed to be going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and how about this outlier, LCA? Mike, I know you probably have the best insight on these guys.

Millbrook loses 3 starters on each side of the ball so they should be pretty good...

In the West i'm putting Salem at the top early. Millbrook returns their top 3 skill guys, if they bring back a few lineman, I'd have them in the mix for contender. Sherando still has Rivers. Whoever comes out of the Dulles between Woodgrove, Champe and Dominion and GW Danville would be my top 5 in order out West

1. Salem
2. Millbrook
3. Sherando
4. Dulles champ
5. GW-Danville

JF will take a step back but will still be a solid playoff team. Pulaski if they can build off last year could make noise. William Byrd with Basham returning is another off the radar team that could come into the picture.

In the East I see 5 teams standing out

1. LT --until someone beats them they are the team
2. Hanover - Clayton Cheatum
3. Chancellor - return some talented skill guys and nationally rated DE Matos
4. EV - D'ago Hunter aka Kendrick Kube part 2, go look him up. RB Orange is going to be good for them also
5. Dinwiddie - K'Vaughn Pope might be the best player in this class next year and he's only going to be a junior.

Others that may contend; Courtland loses a lot but they've always got a good squad, probably will take a step back next year but still a solid playoff squad. Interested to see how Lafayette will bounce back. To good of a program not to be a playoff team even with so much lost to graduation. Monacan with that QB returning will be in the mix. Louisa with all they return should be able to challenge in the east as well.

Good stuff guys. As expected, it looks like another typical year. The same teams are on everyone's list and the question is who just might take that next step up and be the semi expected surprise.

Four teams I'd like to hear a prediction on are:

Charlottesville
Dominion
Amherst
Smithfield.

These teams may not be in the final four picture in either region, but they all seemed to be going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and how about this outlier, LCA? Mike, I know you probably have the best insight on these guys.
Amherst losses were to Salem twice, JF and Appomatox all undefeated teams. We have lots of returning players including our QB who was injured in the Appomattox game. This was one of the best group of guys that played as one in a long time. Have high hopes for them next year

In the West i'm putting Salem at the top early. Millbrook returns their top 3 skill guys, if they bring back a few lineman, I'd have them in the mix for contender. Sherando still has Rivers. Whoever comes out of the Dulles between Woodgrove, Champe and Dominion and GW Danville would be my top 5 in order out West

1. Salem
2. Millbrook
3. Sherando
4. Dulles champ
5. GW-Danville

JF will take a step back but will still be a solid playoff team. Pulaski if they can build off last year could make noise. William Byrd with Basham returning is another off the radar team that could come into the picture.

4. EV - D'ago Hunter aka Kendrick Kube part 2, go look him up. RB Orange is going to be good for them also
5. Dinwiddie - K'Vaughn Pope might be the best player in this class next year and he's only going to be a junior.

Others that may contend; Courtland loses a lot but they've always got a good squad, probably will take a step back next year but still a solid playoff squad. Interested to see how Lafayette will bounce back. To good of a program not to be a playoff team even with so much lost to graduation. Monacan with that QB returning will be in the mix. Louisa with all they return should be able to challenge in the east as well.
Good job one man. Yes, Pope is the real deal and if D-1 prospect Freeland's hands improve he will keep teams from doubling Pope.
Dinwiddie loses one rb, but there is no drop off with Cooper and Sturdivant returning. Witt will be a proven senior at qb so the offense will be ready. Lost a sound linebacker, but the young defense should be better. Lost kicker and punter, so special teams could be an issue.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Lafayette will be good again next year but in the same conference as LT puts everything in perspective. Top 2 rb come back as well as soph FB who started half the games. Top receiver and returner in Grimsley is back as half the O line. QB is open as TE and how these fill will be key to how good. Lose 2 top receivers and best lb but others all lb on defense return. If we played a tough first game and not Huguenot I would know alot more after the first game - as it is it will be weeks trying to fiqure it out.

Amherst losses were to Salem twice, JF and Appomatox all undefeated teams. We have lots of returning players including our QB who was injured in the Appomattox game. This was one of the best group of guys that played as one in a long time. Have high hopes for them next year

How could I forget about Amherst. Next year should be the year for them to break back into the contender area in the West.

Reactions: wikki
Good job one man. Yes, Pope is the real deal and if D-1 prospect Freeland's hands improve he will keep teams from doubling Pope.
Dinwiddie loses one rb, but there is no drop off with Cooper and Sturdivant returning. Witt will be a proven senior at qb so the offense will be ready. Lost a sound linebacker, but the young defense should be better. Lost kicker and punter, so special teams could be an issue.

The JV kicker was kicking touch backs, so we may have a decent kicker.

How could I forget about Amherst. Next year should be the year for them to break back into the contender area in the West.
If for no other reason than Wikki deserves it, I hope the Lancers kick butt next year.

Reactions: wikki
OneMan, how much work have The Black Knights got to do to be a threat? They were not that far off this year.

What is Kings Fork losing? They got everybodies attention when they got out ahead of LT before that when south for them.

1. Salem
2. Millbrook
3. Sherando
4. Dulles champ
5. GW-Danville

Sherando will be good but young, a sophomore QB, and two very fast sophomore rb's , a lot returning but they will be young at the key skill positions. They will put a good product on the field as always but not be a state contender. The Freshman class this year is probably the most talented to enter Sherando in a long time, and anxiously awaited to mature. Maybe the best of all time, to be determined with the work ethic needed to achieve success.

Sherando will be good but young, a sophomore QB, and two very fast sophomore rb's , a lot returning but they will be young at the key skill positions. They will put a good product on the field as always but not be a state contender. The Freshman class this year is probably the most talented to enter Sherando in a long time, and anxiously awaited to mature. Maybe the best of all time, to be determined with the work ethic needed to achieve success.
I heard they had a strong freshmen class but I also heard that Aylor was horrible and Admiral Byrd wasn't very good and most of Byrd's best players were going to Millbrook. The feeder program isn't what it once was I also heard Handley's feeder school started football up again and went undefeated so maybe they can get back to what they use to be.

Last edited:
Weightroom. That is my final answer.
All due respect, the Black Knights have had nothing resembling a team since 2003 (unless an under .500 team is acceptable). The weight room IS important but there's a lot more and the only way to prove it is with wins.

GL in 2016.

Eastern View will lose its QB but will return mostly everyone else. Add in some JV players from that good team especially the dynamic Matt Lowry the JV QB and they should be about the same. But the team out of this area that needs to be watched is Chancellor. They return EVERYONE!! LT has put the east in such high regards it's hard to tell who might be a contender or pretender
EV will be losing a lot of beef on the O and D lines.....we will see if the JV can fill in effectively....They dominated all the JV teams except for Sherando (last minute 1-pt. loss).

Speaking from whom I've seen and who returns and such

Courtland: They lose A LOT, a whole bunch of seniors graduating, but they are a solid program and will have a solid team. They will make the playoffs, probably win a game too.

King George: They should be about the same if not a little bit better, think they could win a playoff game next year.

Chancellor: They return a whole bunch, could be arguably one of the top 5 or 10 teams in 4A next year. Deep run in the playoffs is very possible.

Eastern View: They lose their QB, but return quite a few weapons. They will be a playoff team and will be looking to continue their success.

Louisa: They will be solid, it's a matter of can the gel and get it going.

Powhatan: .500 or better team, playoffs a possibility

Hanover: Losing their entire OL is tough to replace, but with the QB they have, Hanover will still be a solid football team capable of winning a couple playoff games

Lake Taylor: They are the #1 team in 4A until someone proves otherwise, just solid year and and year out and will return a nice contingent from this years team

Reactions: OCBoy
EV will be losing a lot of beef on the O and D lines.....we will see if the JV can fill in effectively....They dominated all the JV teams except for Sherando (last minute 1-pt. loss).
The EV progression from one year to the next is going well. They do lose some beef, but they also return some and add some. The key is they have bought in to the weight room for a few years and the next few classes will be the first that have hit the weights with this kind of nmbers for the whole 4 years. Next year they will have good to great running backs (3 or 4). Besides Orange and Pollard, there is a JV kid who looks very good. The QB spot will need to be developed no matter who steps in. It took my son a few games for it to click as a sophomore.I expect he will have a strong running game to help him. The defense is where you hope they continue to get better. They lose a lot up front. That being said, several of the kids that stepped up this year weren't in the picture last year.. I am optimistic that will continue. The kids just have to keep the culture changing for the better.

Reactions: OCBoy
The EV progression from one year to the next is going well. They do lose some beef, but they also return some and add some. The key is they have bought in to the weight room for a few years and the next few classes will be the first that have hit the weights with this kind of nmbers for the whole 4 years. Next year they will have good to great running backs (3 or 4). Besides Orange and Pollard, there is a JV kid who looks very good. The QB spot will need to be developed no matter who steps in. It took my son a few games for it to click as a sophomore.I expect he will have a strong running game to help him. The defense is where you hope they continue to get better. They lose a lot up front. That being said, several of the kids that stepped up this year weren't in the picture last year.. I am optimistic that will continue. The kids just have to keep the culture changing for the better.
Yep....Defense is where it's at. I think the offense will be plenty good

Not many saw Champe rising as fast as they did in 2015.
The whole 4A West turned out stronger than forecast in 2015, Among the most surprised were the 4A West athletic directors.

Speaking from whom I've seen and who returns and such

Courtland: They lose A LOT, a whole bunch of seniors graduating, but they are a solid program and will have a solid team. They will make the playoffs, probably win a game too.

King George: They should be about the same if not a little bit better, think they could win a playoff game next year.

Chancellor: They return a whole bunch, could be arguably one of the top 5 or 10 teams in 4A next year. Deep run in the playoffs is very possible.

Eastern View: They lose their QB, but return quite a few weapons. They will be a playoff team and will be looking to continue their success.

Louisa: They will be solid, it's a matter of can the gel and get it going.

Powhatan: .500 or better team, playoffs a possibility

Hanover: Losing their entire OL is tough to replace, but with the QB they have, Hanover will still be a solid football team capable of winning a couple playoff games

Lake Taylor: They are the #1 team in 4A until someone proves otherwise, just solid year and and year out and will return a nice contingent from this years team
Hanover usually finds enough OL just like GW finds RB's.

Yea I wasn't sure about the line play but they should "reload" in "Hatfields game"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT