ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Virginia... Time to make a decision.

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
West Virginia and others have set dates for fall practice and fall sports to resume. Dont leave the kids in Virginia hanging.. What's the deal??

West Virginia and others have set dates for fall practice and fall sports to resume. Dont leave the kids in Virginia hanging.. What's the deal??
Question? What has happened recently that has made you confident that football should happen? We have no vaccine? The NFL and college levels doesn't even have a plan outside of constant testing that will make players safe during competition. But I am with you in regards to the VHSL need to make a decision. What miracle going to happen in less than 3 weeks?

I am not confident that football season should happen at all. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't. I am by no means an expert. Would I like it to start?....yes. I just think that a decision needs to be made one way or another ASAP. Other states look like they plan to proceed with fall sports (which could be cancelled at the last moment). I highly doubt that the Virginia Governor will allow it, but a decision needs to be made. The VHSL is prepared with several scenarios, they are just waiting on hearing for some sort of direction from the state Government. Postpone the start of the season, try to play in the spring or just cancel the season? What's up??? Is there a plan from the State at all? People can decide for themselves if they want their kids to play, or if they go to a game or not. Rec Leagues have been going full steam ahead. There is a lot of fear about the virus and I understand, but at some point, people need to be allowed to make their own decisions. It doesn't matter what I personally think. Is it good for these kids to be going to school only 2 days a week when this virus affects them no worse than the flu? Not my call to make either, but kids have much better outcomes. Maybe they play with no fans? I don't know, but we need decisions to be made now. Either cancel it or try to proceed with some sort of plan. One thing I know, is that plans can change. If the state decides to proceed, at least there is a plan in place, they can always change or cancel those plans at a later date.

Amen brother. VHSL needs to mandate a waiver for all parents to sign that allows their kids to play. Kids are out hanging with one another and training together. Limit crowd size (stream the games on Twitter or YouTube) and let the kids play.
Yes, streaming games online and generating some sort of revenue for them would be good for the schools. What you said makes a lot of sense.

Once again what miracle is going to happen in 3 weeks? Colleges are cancelling entire conference schedules for the fall? The Power 5 schools are in denial and trying an only conference game schedule? Some school systems haven't approved off-season workouts. It's not as cut and dry as you think. Don't get me wrong I want football and I do feel for seniors and their parents. It doesn't seem fair.

I want the season as much as anyone and I'm confident that some type of season will happen at some point this year BUT there is no way schools can survive w/o fans in the stands. That really can't be the plan especially football/basketball. The VHSL knows this as they need that revenue at the state level and the regional tournament cut they receive. Athletic departments can't fund an entire program w/ entry fees and officials cost w/o gate receipts. Programs would go belly up real quick

Reactions: 19GHS87 and aw19752
Maybe we will have a decision on the 15th from the special meeting.

That's what I want more than anything, a decision. At least there will be some type of direction to move forward, or not at all.

Once again what miracle is going to happen in 3 weeks? Colleges are cancelling entire conference schedules for the fall? The Power 5 schools are in denial and trying an only conference game schedule? Some school systems haven't approved off-season workouts. It's not as cut and dry as you think. Don't get me wrong I want football and I do feel for seniors and their parents. It doesn't seem fair.
Nobody expects a miracle. We all know what we are up against. Some colleges are cancelling entire conference schedules. Some Colleges as of now are playing Conference only schedules. Some states are moving forward with fall sports, some have decided not to. All I want is to know if there is some sort of plan.

Reactions: aw19752
Nobody expects a miracle. We all know what we are up against. Some colleges are cancelling entire conference schedules. Some Colleges as of now are playing Conference only schedules. Some states are moving forward with fall sports, some have decided not to. All I want is to know if there is some sort of plan.
Maybe the meeting on July 15 will clarify.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I went to a travel baseball tournament yesterday and there was no masks or social distancing. If they shut fall sports down and they’re not in school these other AAU sports Basketball/Baseball need to be shut down as well imo.

I went to a travel baseball tournament yesterday and there was no masks or social distancing. If they shut fall sports down and they’re not in school these other AAU sports Basketball/Baseball need to be shut down as well imo.
You were “that guy” looking around for masks and distancing?? That means you already have a formed opinion.

I hope Lowe’s stays open so you can act like you’re buying a new grill.

Has anyone checked on Tom Hanks?

You were “that guy” looking around for masks and distancing?? That means you already have a formed opinion.

I hope Lowe’s stays open so you can act like you’re buying a new grill.

Has anyone checked on Tom Hanks?

Lol no I wasn’t at all. Just noticed it and screw Lowe’s

With cases soaring in the more populated areas I don’t see a fall schedule unless it’s an abbreviated schedule. Even SW part of state as well as East Tn seeing increased numbers fall sports look doubtful. Gotta remember fall leagues are not governed by VHSL.

Rec Ball has been going on around here for a while now. An issue that we have in this area, that perhaps is not faced in other areas is the real prospect that if WV or TN has a season and Virginia does not, a lot of athletes are going to cross borders to play, especially those who think they may have a breakout season to get themselves on the radar. It may sound a little far-fetched, but living literally on the border, it wouldn't be that hard for some to do just that. A cross-town move here, is literally across the state line.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Rec Ball has been going on around here for a while now. An issue that we have in this area, that perhaps is not faced in other areas is the real prospect that if WV or TN has a season and Virginia does not, a lot of athletes are going to cross borders to play, especially those who think they may have a breakout season to get themselves on the radar. It may sound a little far-fetched, but living literally on the border, it wouldn't be that hard for some to do just that. A cross-town move here, is literally across the state line.
Not far- fetched whatsoever. It is a harsh reality that will happen for sure in some cases. The governors comment about not having kids in school if we aren't in phase 3 is uneasy as I have a feeling what's gonna happen in the fall..................

Reactions: OutsiderForLife
Not far- fetched whatsoever. It is a harsh reality that will happen for sure in some cases. The governors comment about not having kids in school if we aren't in phase 3 is uneasy as I have a feeling what's gonna happen in the fall..................

And just like that, West Virginia has announced plans to play fall sports. It's a common sense approach. It looks they are planning to play come hail or high water. Plans are in place to keep kids as safe as possible by testing, limiting fans and time in the locker room, etc.... Border Counties are in danger of losing athletes.

I like this decision by the WV Governor. If a parent is concerned about their child, they do not have to play. Gutsy decision.

Across the border in Tazewell County, Virginia plans are in place for kids to return to school with an option to receive online instruction. This to me is a good call. Again, if you don't want your kids in the building, there is an option for you. Cleaning, social distancing and no large gatherings in the gym, cafeteria or auditorium, etc. Great plan and
call by Tazewell County.

People should have the freedom to decide for themselves what is best for them.

I respect whatever decision Virginia makes, but I like what WV is doing.

And just like that, West Virginia has announced plans to play fall sports. It's a common sense approach. It looks they are planning to play come hail or high water. Plans are in place to keep kids as safe as possible by testing, limiting fans and time in the locker room, etc.... Border Counties are in danger of losing athletes.

I like this decision by the WV Governor. If a parent is concerned about their child, they do not have to play. Gutsy decision.

Across the border in Tazewell County, Virginia plans are in place for kids to return to school with an option to receive online instruction. This to me is a good call. Again, if you don't want your kids in the building, there is an option for you. Cleaning, social distancing and no large gatherings in the gym, cafeteria or auditorium, etc. Great plan and
call by Tazewell County.

People should have the freedom to decide for themselves what is best for them.

I respect whatever decision Virginia makes, but I like what WV is doing.
If Virginia can play in the Spring, I personally think that is the best possible option right now. If that isn’t feasible, you have to follow WV. Too many kids depending on scholarships and opportunities at the next level to leave out to dry. Football isn’t life or death to some, but that’s a different story for others. I believe that we should start winter sports after winter break. Most teams that make it far in football, don’t start until after Christmas anyway. End winter sports in mid March (state championship and all) and start the football season and other fall sports the following week and play until late May. Spring sports from late May until mid July. The beautiful thing about baseball & softball is you can play doubleheaders. It’s a win win for everyone.

If Virginia can play in the Spring, I personally think that is the best possible option right now. If that isn’t feasible, you have to follow WV. Too many kids depending on scholarships and opportunities at the next level to leave out to dry. Football isn’t life or death to some, but that’s a different story for others. I believe that we should start winter sports after winter break. Most teams that make it far in football, don’t start until after Christmas anyway. End winter sports in mid March (state championship and all) and start the football season and other fall sports the following week and play until late May. Spring sports from late May until mid July. The beautiful thing about baseball & softball is you can play doubleheaders. It’s a win win for everyone.
One problem with moving the fall sports to the spring is the big shortage of officials. Lots of officials do more than one sport. One other deal is how will the grass fields used for football handle all the use during the wet spring weather,

One problem with moving the fall sports to the spring is the big shortage of officials. Lots of officials do more than one sport. One other deal is how will the grass fields used for football handle all the use during the wet spring weather,
That 25-50k (or more at some schools) in football revenue is needed or just go ahead and cancel all sports for the year. No (and I mean NO) school can take on that cost while furloughing is taking place to employees. Officials cost alone in the spring is overbearing for schools if they don't have that revenue. Stadiums are not packed for softball/baseball/soccer. Track has weekly entry fees for invites. That's why the NCAA will do whatever it takes to get football in this year. Nothing in the spring can fend for itself. It's basic math at it's finest.

This is SUCH a complex decision and has to be looked at from many different angles, so I am glad I don't have to be a part of making it. Going from one extreme to the other, I think it may come down to: playing football as scheduled in front of whatever fans are willing to come and just let them decide for themselves how safe it may be; to holding off all sports at least for the fall until we know more about the COVID trend; to making the decision now to cancel all sports for the entire year and concentrate instead on educating the kids as best we can. I will not be surprised at any one of those three decisions or anything in between.

Power 5 conferences are making decisions to reduce their schedules to only conference games. JUCO level just announced all JUCO sports postponed until spring. The trends are leaning towards lesser schedules, different times or at least delayed.

Something to consider, that I haven't seen mentioned is that when schools first come back into session from summer break, there are a lot of colds and illnesses right off the bat. Students and teachers. During the summer kids aren't around mass amounts of people. Put them all back in and their systems need to build back up. Don't know if it's ever been scientifically proven, just speaking from experience. If this usually happens with common, minor illnesses...?

Graham High School is due to miss a huge gate for the annual Bluefield-Graham game which brings in about 10,000 - 12,000 every year. Bluefield is in WV and Graham is in VA, they share the same stadium and alternate home and away each year. This is Graham's year to host (VA) and get that huge gate. It will be a crushing blow towards athletic funding to miss out on an opportunity like that.

The contract with Graham and Bluefield is a 50-50 split every year. Doesn't matter who the home team is. If this game is not played it hurts both schools.

Just saw that high school football will not be played in Virginia this fall.

Just saw that high school football will not be played in Virginia this fall.
Ouch. Thanks for the update. Well, this is what I was hoping for, a plan. At least there are a couple of options for football in the spring. They forgot to list one of the options: no sports at all this year (that is a definite possibility). I guess we all just sit back now and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCKnights
Hope and pray things do not get any worse by spring and no sports are played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT