ADVERTISEMENT

OMHDC & 3puttcharlie

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Tell me the tale of the hot dog stand. I never have heard the story, only references.

He didn't really know it, but I visited there a few of times. Good hot dogs, Nathan's hot dogs in fact, bragged about using nothing but Nathan's. Dogs were good too and you could get them about anyway you wanted. Also got to talk football, and usually with somebody who knew what they were talking about. It was a neat little thing, comfortable, friendly, and on a day when you had some loose time, it was a good way to spend it. I hate it he had to shut it down. He was on his way to creating a Salem landmark, no doubt, statue and all one day. Now it's just a pleasant memory.

Did one of these two own it, or did the just always talk about the happy experience like you. I just thought they were owners of something?

Have you ever been the "supposedly" famous hot dog place on 460 as you are coming westbound in to Lynchburg? I have never stopped there, but everybody says they have a great dog.

I think the place you're referring to coming into Lynchburg is Moores Country Store. If you like your hot dogs spicy this is the place for you. The chilli has some sort of oil from a super hot pepper and it will clear out your sinuses.

Ole mule retired from the business two years ago. Hr still has his mobile stand and pops around from time to time. I had two in sept ate a salem game. Damn good chili. His old stand is now a cupcake store........ they paved paradise and put a cupcake stand up........;(((

Just no respect for history. But sadly, little by little, the things us old guys hold dear seem to go away.

Anyone that was around Petersburg before about 1990, probably ate a Forty's hot dog. Never had one as good since it shut down. It got flattened, and a nice new wider road made life better? And now there is Family Dollar in it's place. Nothing against Family Dollar, but I really don't see how this was an improvement. Oh yeah, Forty's was there since the 1930's.

Progress sucks sometimes doesn't it. A damned cupcake store. Society traded a good hot dog for a cupcake. That tells us something doesn't it.

Dinwiddie... I can't pass ths up.... wwould that make it now a "FORTY DOLLAR DOG"....+ feeling your hoydog pain..... marry christmas

Yes I'm home and thank you for your help with the van. I got it yesterday and I meant to get on here and thank you!

You are just over to top 3putt. But I'll tell you this. I'd probably pay that to just have one more before I die.

Forty was Forty Davis. I think his dad started the business when US 1 was the only north/south highway on the east coast. There are still a lot of remnants of the buildings/businesses along this highway. Old motels that had a semi-circle of small cottages, tourist lodges, service station buildings, and eateries. Forty's building still had the stenciled things on the top of the windows like "Real Virginia Hams", or "Fresh Peanuts". Of course, by the time I came along, I 95 had relegated places like Forty's to catering to locals, and they adjusted or vanished. Sometime before I was born Forty had started selling hot dogs with his own original chili. He found a following that lasted him until VDOT said "sorry for your luck, but you are in the way of our road". Forty 'spent his last few years bagging groceries at a local Safeway. He did however, sell or gave his business to a brother in law about a year or two before the road was widened and took his building. I believe they both though they would build a modern building on what was left of the property, but it never happened.

Thus, the end of the trail for Forty's famous hotdogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT