ADVERTISEMENT

On field mechanics question

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
How frequently does a line judge from the opposite side of the field make a DPI call when the play in question is outside the hash @ the numbers on the other side of the field? I realize that anyone could call an infraction but from an area responsibility standpoint, how likely is that even a call that is made?

I would say that's a very rare circumstance. In most circumstances, the official on one side of the field should not be watching the other side of the field, although there may be extenuating circumstances. If it happens when I'm on the field, we're going to have a very deep conversation then and there.

The NBA has done a study on calls made out of an officials area. They said 95 % of the out of area calls are wrong.

I have the utmost respect for the men and woman that continue to take the verbal assaults every week for us to get these games played. I am frustrated that there seems to be an overwhelming amount of calls made from an official out of position and some are not newbies so they know better.

Reactions: bowlingref
There are several reasons an official from one side of the field throws a DPI on the other side. Some are decent reasons, some are not.

If he's truly just out there officiating the whole field, he'll quickly get a rep for doing this and no one will want to work with him. It's called "fishing in someone else's pond" and it's a no-no. First, he shouldn't be looking there. Second, it's hard to sell a call that's across the field. (Although fans 60 yards from plays seem to think they have a good view.)

In my crew, if you see something in someone else's area and it's a 5 or 10 yarder, let it go. If it's a 15 yarder, a major foul, it's important to get that. Even though DPI is a 15 yarder, I wouldn't throw that from across the field but maybe the official in the OP felt like he had to.

Or maybe the guy over there was very new and nervous as can be, and the older guy is forced to call most of the field. I've had it happen. Early this year I was working a 4 man crew on a JV game, (might have been middle school, can't recall) and a first year guy was shaking in his shoes. There's a long pass (25-30 yards) to his side and I peeked down there, even though normally I don't turn to watch the ball in flight. The receiver was mauled. Gross DPI, but no flag. We all saw it and we were all waiting for New Guy to flag it but he didn't. I'm not flagging something 45 yards away and the others felt the same way, but someone probably should have done something.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT