ADVERTISEMENT

OneMan, Bleeding Navy, CutnJump...?

RKE Fan

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 10, 2010
OneMan, Bleeding Navy, CutnJump, Leftovers2005 (Although I know you rarely post anymore), what say you on the LT/Salem match-up this year? I've always admired your opinions and insight into big games and this one is now two days away! I offered a few of my own thoughts, but they got deleted along with the entire thread several days ago. I figured since you all do not count yourselves as loyal fans of either LT or Salem, we might have a fighting chance at keeping a thread open through Saturday. What do you think? Keys to victory, crucial match-ups, advantages/disadvantages of each? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
I have spent a lot of time reading and analyzing the thoughts of others regarding this match up, so I will give it a shot. Some of my comments have been already stated by others; however, I will be redundant to make my points.

Offensively, Salem needs to be very patient and pound the ball inside. Yes, LT's interior line is stout, but you never know when you may pop one. Please understand I am not advocating traps or counters. LT is very good at smelling a rat and penetrate too well for any delays. Simply put good old fashion quick dives. The Spartans can try, but I believe they will have difficulty utilizing the sweep. Lake Taylor not only pursue well, but they fill the lanes and gang tackle. Salem could mix in a screen pass, but in my opinion it must be a middle screen. Play action, high percentage, short passes on typical running downs may produce positive results against this defense. LT generally leaves the center of the field unprotected, but most teams cannot hold blocks long enough to throw the deeper post or seam routes. Another key for Salem to be conservative on third and long situations. Punting and flipping field position is a must in this game. With LT's db's you are playing with fire on third and long passing situations. If the field goal is available take a shot. Craft has a strong leg and is accurate.

Defensively, Salem must protect the edge and the db's must come up and make the tackle. Fox must play strong and keep the first option (dive) gains to a minimum. If the Ramsey brothers get sucked in Salem will be in for a long day. Most people think that assignment defense is the way to stop LT's veer, but I do not agree. LT's lineman are very agile and will quickly move to the second block. This may sound crazy, but blitzes from the outside may be the better choice. I for one think its worth the risk. No matter what Salem must put a body on the quarterback every chance they get. On third and long I suggest cover two or a variation of it. LT has way too much speed at the receiver position. The one risk of the coverage could be LT's utilization of the tight end. I would also suggest high pressure on punting situations. If LT has a weakness its in the punting game.

LT runs the veer both under center and out of the pistol. Although their young quarterback is not as physical as Johnson (last years qb) he may be a bit quicker. He is a very good game manager and is an accurate passer. LT will need to utilize its speed on the edge and force Salem to spread out. The use of bubble screens will force Salem to guess and could open up the deep passing game. Palmer will be a factor no matter what. Yes, Salem shut down Navy Jones and Company, but the veer is a quicker hitting offense and with the threat of LT's passing game look Palmer rip off some long runs. Other than the interior line match ups the LT receivers vs. Salem db's is the most interesting match up. In my opinion LT's receivers are more polished this season and should be able to make plays in space. LT will do what they do and Salem must stop them if they can. LT's punt and kickoff return teams are dangerous and could play a major role in this game.

Defensively we all know what to expect from LT. Nine in the box with man on man coverage on the outside. The key for LT is to control the line of scrimmage and force Salem to pass. Forcing Salem into long yardage situations is the key to winning the defensive battle.

The teams met last year and their philosophies have not changed so there should not be any real surprises. If LT forces Salem out of their comfort zone it will be a long night. If Salem sticks to their game plan and can keep it close special teams could be a factor. Most observers believe Salem is much improved defensively. Optimistically speaking it sounds good from a fans standpoint, but believe it or not I think LT is a more balanced and explosive team than last year. Who wins out? I guess we will see on Saturday.

Final prediction: LT 34 Salem 17

OneMan, Bleedy Navy, CutnJump, Leftovers2005 (Although I know you rarely post anymore), what say you on the LT/Salem match-up this year? I've always admired your opinions and insight into big games and this one is now two days away! I offered a few of my own thoughts, but they got deleted along with the entire thread several days ago. I figured since you all do not count yourselves as loyal fans of either LT or Salem, we might have a fighting chance at keeping a thread open through Saturday. What do you think? Keys to victory, crucial match-ups, advantages/disadvantages of each? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

For LT to win ---

1. Take care of the ball on offense. The QB is young but he's grown up fast this year especially during the KF game when he had to air it out to make the comeback. That performance shows not only his physical gifts but his mental toughness to keep his head up, move on from mistakes and not let play 10 beat you on plays 11, 12 and 13.
2. Make Salem air it out. As always, the box will be loaded and those LBs and DL run to the ball as well as any unit in the state IMO. Courtland RBs did a solid job making 1 guy miss, problem is after that, 3 more guys are within 2 yards of you. I'm sure it's a frustrating situation for any RB. If LT can limit the long runs and force Salem into 3rd and long, make the QB throw it against the best secondary he will have seen this year, I like their chances.
3. No special teams gaffs. This includes PATs, kick coverage and returns. Special teams put LT in a comfortable position at the end of the half last year, momentum swung and turned it into a runaway. KF got a punt block for a TD last week so I'm sure LT is all over this one.

For Salem to win ---
1. Use middle of field when passing. At some point Salem is going to have to pass the ball to be successful. LT's corners both have 7 INTs on the season. The safeties are #2 Palmer and #1 Bruton. They'll likely be man to man on your TE or your slot WR. If I'm the coach, I'm going after Palmer and Bruton before I try Davis or Wahee. Nothing against those two young men, both great players. With LT bringing 1 more than can be blocked, easier to throw a slant, seam or post in between the hashes rather than try stick, out, fade, streak on the numbers. I'd use motion with my wideouts, pick routes, anything to help with seperation.
2. Mix It Up. I'm not saying get away from what got you here but throw a wrench in there every so often. A trick play here or there isn't going to hurt. Especially if the run game is stuffed early.
3. Pressure Hughey. I saw LT-Monticello early in the year. I know he is so much better than he showed that evening as it was his first game. MHS played cover 0 and basically ran LTs own defense against them and it was 6-0 at half. Hughey was inaccurate because he was pressured often. He took a few sacks and didn't read the veer well. Again he's proven in recent weeks he's more mentally tough now than he was in August so it may not matter. If I'm Salem I'm hitting that kid as much as possible, whether he has the ball or not give him a remember me shot when you can.

Advantages

QB- Push
RBs- Push
WRs-LT
OL-LT
DL-LT
LBs-LT
DBs-LT
K/P-Salem

At the end of the day, the game will be won in the trenches. Can Salem handle the LT fightin' Mikes(thats copyrighted homie!, lol) up front. Johnson had all day to throw last year. Salem can't give Hughey time, he's a spitting image of Johnson, just younger and less experienced. I'd say Johnson was a bit more polished as a runner; vision, violent runner more so than Hughey but again that's just the youth coming through. If Salem can pressure Hughey when he passes and give Beckley some time to find a target, then they'll certainly have a chance to win the game. It's going to be a very interesting matchup. Nobody knows how it'll turn out. All we can do is guess and assume and likely make an ass our of ourselves for it, lol. This is about all I've got. I have no dog in the fight, just hoping both teams come in and stay healthy throughout and the refs let them play. Good Luck Titans and Spartans!!!

Score Prediction:

Lake Taylor 34 Salem 21

Last edited:
We have similar takes there, lol. Beat me to the punch on a number of things.
Nice post one man. I am not a coach. Coaches son to be exact. The veer was my dads first love. Lol. This game is going to be interesting. Salem can not get too panicked if they get down or its over. Staying the course is the key in my book.

I have spent a lot of time reading and analyzing the thoughts of others regarding this match up, so I will give it a shot. Some of my comments have been already stated by others; however, I will be redundant to make my points.

Offensively, Salem needs to be very patient and pound the ball inside. Yes, LT's interior line is stout, but you never know when you may pop one. Please understand I am not advocating traps or counters. LT is very good at smelling a rat and penetrate too well for any delays. Simply put good old fashion quick dives. The Spartans can try, but I believe they will have difficulty utilizing the sweep. Lake Taylor not only pursue well, but they fill the lanes and gang tackle. Salem could mix in a screen pass, but in my opinion it must be a middle screen. Play action, high percentage, short passes on typical running downs may produce positive results against this defense. LT generally leaves the center of the field unprotected, but most teams cannot hold blocks long enough to throw the deeper post or seam routes. Another key for Salem to be conservative on third and long situations. Punting and flipping field position is a must in this game. With LT's db's you are playing with fire on third and long passing situations. If the field goal is available take a shot. Craft has a strong leg and is accurate.

Defensively, Salem must protect the edge and the db's must come up and make the tackle. Fox must play strong and keep the first option (dive) gains to a minimum. If the Ramsey brothers get sucked in Salem will be in for a long day. Most people think that assignment defense is the way to stop LT's veer, but I do not agree. LT's lineman are very agile and will quickly move to the second block. This may sound crazy, but blitzes from the outside may be the better choice. I for one think its worth the risk. No matter what Salem must put a body on the quarterback every chance they get. On third and long I suggest cover two or a variation of it. LT has way too much speed at the receiver position. The one risk of the coverage could be LT's utilization of the tight end. I would also suggest high pressure on punting situations. If LT has a weakness its in the punting game.

LT runs the veer both under center and out of the pistol. Although their young quarterback is not as physical as Johnson (last years qb) he may be a bit quicker. He is a very good game manager and is an accurate passer. LT will need to utilize its speed on the edge and force Salem to spread out. The use of bubble screens will force Salem to guess and could open up the deep passing game. Palmer will be a factor no matter what. Yes, Salem shut down Navy Jones and Company, but the veer is a quicker hitting offense and with the threat of LT's passing game look Palmer rip off some long runs. Other than the interior line match ups the LT receivers vs. Salem db's is the most interesting match up. In my opinion LT's receivers are more polished this season and should be able to make plays in space. LT will do what they do and Salem must stop them if they can. LT's punt and kickoff return teams are dangerous and could play a major role in this game.

Defensively we all know what to expect from LT. Nine in the box with man on man coverage on the outside. The key for LT is to control the line of scrimmage and force Salem to pass. Forcing Salem into long yardage situations is the key to winning the defensive battle.

The teams met last year and their philosophies have not changed so there should not be any real surprises. If LT forces Salem out of their comfort zone it will be a long night. If Salem sticks to their game plan and can keep it close special teams could be a factor. Most observers believe Salem is much improved defensively. Optimistically speaking it sounds good from a fans standpoint, but believe it or not I think LT is a more balanced and explosive team than last year. Who wins out? I guess we will see on Saturday.

Final prediction: LT 34 Salem 17
Good comment.

Interestingly enough, most of Salem's success on the ground last year came on the counter. As for the veer, it is definitely assignment based, even if you are blitzing. The DEs have to squeeze the OTs and prevent a clean release on the play side LB and then go dive back to quarterback. If the DE doesn't squeeze the OT and doesn't take the dive back it is usually a touchdown, assuming the DT/Nose didn't get to the dive back themselves. That is the one thing that always has the potential to limit the veer is the interior DL winning up front and taking the dive back, which allows the DEs to move to QB. The safety will usually be the force player and corners responsibility will change in the running game based on cover 2 vs man, which are pretty much the only options defensively against the veer. You can run inverted cover 2 as well but I doubt many teams at the high school level can implement that in one week of preparation.

I agree with your synopsis Shabutie. My concern about the counter is the Salem O-Line. Due to injury I know they have been forced to utilize a few different players. I am sure they have gained a wealth of experience since, but the quickness and penetration of LT's line just concerns me on anything that takes time to develop. Again, if Salem can hold their blocks they can break a big one.

Good comment.

Interestingly enough, most of Salem's success on the ground last year came on the counter. As for the veer, it is definitely assignment based, even if you are blitzing. The DEs have to squeeze the OTs and prevent a clean release on the play side LB and then go dive back to quarterback. If the DE doesn't squeeze the OT and doesn't take the dive back it is usually a touchdown, assuming the DT/Nose didn't get to the dive back themselves. That is the one thing that always has the potential to limit the veer is the interior DL winning up front and taking the dive back, which allows the DEs to move to QB. The safety will usually be the force player and corners responsibility will change in the running game based on cover 2 vs man, which are pretty much the only options defensively against the veer. You can run inverted cover 2 as well but I doubt many teams at the high school level can implement that in one week of preparation.
Courtland ran Cover 2 last week. Most HS Qb's and some college QB's struggle against Cover 2.

I would agree with you Devils, but you didn't struggle offensively against Hanover or Courtland. Both ran cover two. Please be kind to me Devils, I am just an arm chair quarterback trying to get into the minds of the Salem and LT fantastic coaches staff. To me its just fun to delve into the x's and o's of things.

I would agree with you Devils, but you didn't struggle offensively against Hanover or Courtland. Both ran cover two. Please be kind to me Devils, I am just an arm chair quarterback trying to get into the minds of the Salem and LT fantastic coaches staff. To me its just fun to delve into the x's and o's of things.

No attack just bringing up that Courtland ran 2 and how hard it really is to pass against 2 for a lot of QBs. I honestly believe when you sell out to take one aspect away you leave yourself vulnerable in the other aspect. Gotta find the perfect balance and have a great gameplan which I'm sure Salem has.

Reactions: RKE Fan
No attack just bringing up that Courtland ran 2 and how hard it really is to pass against 2 for a lot of QBs. I honestly believe when you sell out to take one aspect away you leave yourself vulnerable in the other aspect. Gotta find the perfect balance and have a great gameplan which I'm sure Salem has.

For most offenses yes, but the x factor is your running game. Do I leak up to defend the run or stay back and protect against the pass? Without safety help Palmer goes to the house. I am only going straight cover on 2nd and 3rd down long yardage situations. I knew you weren't attacking. I was just trying to add a bit of humor. This could be a good thread if everyone can stick to strategy. its most of the posters only chance to coach. lol....

Reactions: catchtds
For most offenses yes, but the x factor is your running game. Do I leak up to defend the run or stay back and protect against the pass? Without safety help Palmer goes to the house. I am only going straight cover on 2nd and 3rd down long yardage situations. I knew you weren't attacking. I was just trying to add a bit of humor. This could be a good thread if everyone can stick to strategy. its most of the posters only chance to coach. lol....
Lol...Don't tell them that..They just finished undefeated on their Madden game on Dynasty Mode...Gotta translate to real life success right?

Reactions: one man
Lol...Don't tell them that..They just finished undefeated on their Madden game on Dynasty Mode...Gotta translate to real life success right?
Too funny. I wouldn't have a clue about Madden. Never played it. Now, I was a master at the Mattel's "talking football" game.(1972). Only a few old dudes will remember that game. Drive careful on your way up to Charlottesville and then Lynchburg. You guys are sticking with tradition right?

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Nice post one man. I am not a coach. Coaches son to be exact. The veer was my dads first love. Lol. This game is going to be interesting. Salem can not get too panicked if they get down or its over. Staying the course is the key in my book.

The first few series of the game will tell us a lot. Can Salem match LT physicality up front? Can Salem DBs make tackles in space and limit YAC on short pass game?
I know I predicted a 2 score game but don't get me wrong, if LT comes out like they did against Courtland, it could get ugly like it did last year. Salem faithful knows what they are up against and understand it'll take a flawless performance and likely a few breaks for them to pull the upset. I know they'll be prepared and will step up to the challenge.

Now THIS is excellent stuff! Thanks to all who have responded so far!! Hopefully, a few more will chime in. I'm not sure I know enough about X's and O's to firmly agree or disagree with any one point made. However, I'm certainly looking forward to a great game, which my gut tells me it will be.

Last edited:
  1. BleedingNavy has been explaining things and coaching to me all year long. I struggle in real time, but can understand much of what he has taught me, as its explained after a play. I couldn't begin to explain it in any meaningful way though. What I've learned has added significantly to my enjoyment of the game, and makes me hunger to learn more.
I'm sure the trip up to Lynchburg will be full of X's and O's, and more than one hot dog!

Great stuff there guys. A lot of thought went into what you posted.

Like everybody, just offering my best wishes for a safe game for all the kids on Saturday.

Reactions: RKE Fan
An excellent thread so far and not much I can add. Bleeding Navy and One Man have done an excellent job of dissecting the matchup from all angles in my opinion and there really is not a lot to add from an X and O standpoint. I think Salem will be well served to be patient and stick to North/South football. While it may sound dumb, and could prove to be tomorrow, I think Salem needs to go right at the teeth of the LT defense. Ewell is a great player and rather than shy away from him they need to make him play EVERY play. From LT's perspective, I think their challenge is to keep the youngster pulling the trigger playing within himself and just managing the game. Both teams are here this year, got here last year and will probably be back in the future by doing what they do and doing it well rather than letting opponents dictate to them. Two really good programs who I expect to give the fans their money's worth tomorrow. Good luck to both teams for a safe well played game that will be yet another example of why we look forward to this sport every fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT