ADVERTISEMENT

Orange County

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
I posted this in a thread that just got deleted on the 4A board, so I'd like to see if anyone can offer their thoughts. I don't expect much, though, since this board is so quiet. Someone said 4A state champion Salem would struggle with 6-5 Orange, and it had me thinking about how much talent Orange has that doesn't translate to state level winning. I said:

Salem would put 50 on Orange by halftime. Orange doesn't hit the weights enough, and aren't disciplined enough. Salem would punk them on the opening drive and that would be all she wrote. Orange has the size and talent to compete with anyone in the state, ONLY if their work ethic and culture changed dramatically. If you looked at screenshots or short clips of them without knowing anything else about them, you'd think they were a perennial state power. But alas, they aren't.

Orange is in away white here. #15 is one of their RBs/LBs:

nlBya1e.png

zgdxQcT.png

Orange is in home blue here:

dEau0DL.png

They need to play how they look. I know @GilliamRatings would agree. So I'd like to hear more about what's going on over there. They haven't done much since 2005, when they had Bradley Starks at QB (went on to play WR at WVU with Pat White, and is an Orange assistant now), and went 8-2 and sadly missed the playoffs. They are a 5A one-school county (but Woodberry Forest is right next door in Madison), so they don't have to deal with redistricting. A few years ago they started a pay-to-play system for students to participate in sports, but I don't think that's the true cause of their struggles. I'm also not sure if they still have that.

The way I feel is, they don't need top-shelf talent (besides former standout lineman Asa Chapman) to be better than they're showing today. To me, it's all about the linemen. You put Salem's or LC Bird's linemen with Orange's skill players and run the same schemes Orange runs today, they'd be a state title contender every year. As can be seen in the screenshots, they are huge up front, and had two 235 lb running backs who were strong and fast. They also keep speedy receivers with size and hands, and a good QB. This year, defensively they also were huge at most positions. In preseason, their head coach touted their front seven as their best in years. But they always got pushed around.

I just hate to see talent wasted, and wonder what's going on over there. Do they just not care that much? Is their work ethic as bad as I think? Dare I ask, is it simply coaching? They should be on the map every year. They should always win, at the very least, a playoff game or two in 5A, and at the most, compete for titles. They should be blitzing through their schedule. Their short string of putting up 50-60 points in games this season, they should be doing to everyone. There are 8U to 14U AAU youth teams based in Orange that have won NATIONAL titles, but the kids aren't all from Orange. They are the Orange Stingers and here is their site: http://www.eteamz.com/ocstingers/ So it's not as if these kids are growing up without football or haven't seen winning teams. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: mo46
It would be interesting to me how many of the athletes live close to orange high school. Do they offer an activity bus after school?
I would bet most live in the Locust Grove Lake of the Woods area which is 25 to 30 minutes from the school.

Also wasn't their football coach also the head basketball coach and the coach before head football and wrestling?

Why is their girls softball team always good? They should maybe use that model!

Reactions: mo46
Orange showed signs of greatness over the years, they hammered by boys 48-14 and almost beat Louisa this year. But they also lost to EV 40-0 and Albemarle handled them really well too. It's a strange thing, what they have going over there. I kind of want to say just wait for a breakout year, kind of like Cville this year, but it hasn't happened yet. They looked really good when I saw them smack us. Heck, they were up on Potomac Falls 7-0 going into the second quarter. I just don't know man. They do have the potential to be WAY better.

Several years ago, I think it was the last time OC and Madison played a regular season game, Madison lead them by 3 touchdowns. OC had Starks, Minor, Chapman, Middlemas, et al. No way a 5A school with that talent should be down 3 scores to a 2A team. Starks lead a comeback and OC won but it was a very good game. Should not have been close. Something in the water on that side of the Rapidan River?

But, on a given night, with their talent and size, OC can give most teams fits. I think if Hatfield ran that program, OC would have a perennial contender. What if the JM coach ran that program?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
@Marshall-Dillon I think Orange would look just like JM typically looks when it comes to their offense/defense, but Serbay would have to get those kids working harder. So do you think Lohr isn't doing as well as he could be? I thought Kayajanian was good, but just lost control.

@HoosFan05 as you know I have very little knowledge of the teams in the Charlottesville area. I will add this though. It is in my opinion that a lot of those schools should be better than they are. If orange has that type of size up front and 2 235lb tailbacks then that should take them to 8 wins in the regular season on the regular. Especially since they are a D5 playing a lot of D4's on the schedule.

Could it be that these schools have 4-5 really good players but the rest of the squad is average or below? Just asking bc I don't know.

Also I noticed in the Jefferson this year the scores were so high. It's like all of them could put up 50 points but where giving up so many. How can teams with this much size give up so many points. Maybe this year was an abberation... or is this a trend out there?

Bc those are big counties out there is it possible that these kids are not able to make it to the school for weight room activities bc they live so far from the school?

Again, just asking?

@Marshall-Dillon I think Orange would look just like JM typically looks when it comes to their offense/defense, but Serbay would have to get those kids working harder. So do you think Lohr isn't doing as well as he could be? I thought Kayajanian was good, but just lost control.
I do not know enough about their program internally to make an assessment of Lohr. By all accounts, he is knowledgeable and respected. Maybe he just needs time. Hatfield has done wonders with EV in a relatively short amount of time. Takes time to change a culture of not winning. Who really knows?

@mbonape1 unfortunately, good defense is the exception out here, not the norm. Most of our teams do have good offenses, but the defenses should be better than they are. When Monticello had Coach Brud Bicknell (who coaches at Patriot High in Prince William now), they won two state championships with one runner up, but even his lesser teams had very good defenses. I think some students living far from school could be a factor, but I think it's more of the culture out here having to do with it. And it's not as if our schools struggle to get kids to come out and play, most of the rosters have a lot of players. Lacrosse and soccer are HUGE in this area, mainly due to UVA being so good in them, and the types of families here. Then the football kids aren't used to playing top competition as they grow up, so their level of toughness and work ethic in their minds is way below the levels in other areas of the state. When I go back and watch film from ten years ago, the level of talent and physicality/toughness were simply much better overall, and that's before Lacrosse came more popular, along with the other factors mentioned. I wish Goochland were still in the district, they always play tough defense and would help make everyone else better. They joined in 2009 and won the district pretty easily that year. They always have some hard-nosed kids. Then some of our teams have shown some extra lack of discipline going into the playoffs, which doesn't help either. Just two examples, Orange had a good team in 2010, then had two or more starters, including the QB, suspended for the opening round against Briar Woods. That game was a bad snap party from the jump. Charlottesville this season had three starters suspended for the first half of the Woodgrove game, who would've vastly helped keep the game competitive. That's all just my opinion, but I'd still like to hear more about Orange.

Last edited:
I would like to see Clint Alexander coach OC. Since he resigned from Woodberry, I think he would make a great public school coach. His teams were disciplined, tough, strong and expected to win. Woodberry will be returning to the realm of normalcy for the foreseeable future with their new headmaster changing the sports philosophy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT