ADVERTISEMENT

OT Question

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Are the rules for OT the same no matter how many OT's it takes? Is the ball always placed on the 10 yard line to start?

Are the rules for OT the same no matter how many OT's it takes? Is the ball always placed on the 10 yard line to start?

Correct, there's no special rules during 2nd OT, 3rd OT, etc. requiring the team to go for 2 or anything like that. The ball always starts on the 10 yard line unless there's a carryover penalty that moves the ball off of the 10. Big thing to note there is that if there's a carryover penalty that takes the ball behind the 10 (say back to the 25), during OT the line to gain is always the goal line. There are never chains during a VHSL OT. So it would be 1st and goal from the 25.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank you sir. We were discussing it and were thinking that maybe after a certain number of OT's that maybe the ball was placed on the 2 or something.

Thank you sir. We were discussing it and were thinking that maybe after a certain number of OT's that maybe the ball was placed on the 2 or something.

Not in VHSL. I believe there are other states that do require a team to go for 2 in their OT procedure at some point. And obviously NCAA you must go for 2 starting with the 3rd OT.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
LOL, there are a lot of coaches that probably wish it was mandatory to go for two!!! Especially right after their kicker misses the chip shot!

Reactions: VAOfficial
I had a triple OT game some years ago where the team with the ball first in the third OT scored a TD and went for 2. The try failed. The other team then scored a TD and kicked the PAT to win. The losing coach was furious about it. I explained that he had the rules confused with NCAA and that ihigh school had no rule requiring a 2-point try. Bottom line was, one coach knew the rules and won. The other didn't and lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAOfficial
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT