ADVERTISEMENT

Out of bounds question

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
ball goes OB on the baseline. the official at baseline, immediately "asks for help". the officials nearest to him says he did not see who knocked ball out of bounds. then they go ask the 3rd official. he did not see it either. The officals huddle, and after talking it over, decide to award the ball to the team that had "possession last".
Was this correct call, or should it have been a "jump ball" ?

Re: Should go with AP

The only jump balls are at the start of the game and each ovetime period.
This post was edited on 1/10 8:21 AM by FBRef

"jump ball" and "AP" are the same thing, in that jump balls result in APs

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
"jump ball" and "AP" are the same thing, in that jump balls result in APs

No, they are not. A jump ball and the AP arrow are two different things.

As bowlingref stated, a jump ball is used to start the game and each overtime period.

The AP arrow determines who gets the ball when a held ball occurs or when the ball becomes dead with neither team having team control.

A jump ball is tapped, with possession determining which way the AP arrow is initially pointed. "Jump balls do NOT result in APs."
This post was edited on 1/10 8:25 AM by FBRef

No need for anyone to lose sleep or get bent out of shape,it's all in the terminology used. to many old timers, a held ball and a jump ball are the exact "same thing". I am sure many gurus can remember the days before the "AP" arrows, when during every "held ball" teams went to nearest "circle" and they jumped it off. changing that rule to the "AP" was a great move.

Additionally I believe

that the officials use the same "hand signals" for held ball now as they did when they were "jumping it off".

Re: Additionally I believe

Its a held ball and we go to the possession arrow.....geeez....don't make such a big deal about the vernacular. And yes..the two thumbs up is the correct signal.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
No need for anyone to lose sleep or get bent out of shape,it's all in the terminology used. to many old timers, a held ball and a jump ball are the exact "same thing". I am sure many gurus can remember the days before the "AP" arrows, when during every "held ball" teams went to nearest "circle" and they jumped it off. changing that rule to the "AP" was a great move.

Just simply pointing out what bowlingref was saying prior to you disagreeing with him. Terminology is important when the rules are being discussed, which is why there's no such animals as "over the back" or "reaching."

A held ball was a held ball, even when they used to have a jump ball after a held ball. Yes, two thumbs up is still used for a held ball.
This post was edited on 1/10 7:17 PM by FBRef

Re: Additionally I believe

Originally posted by H00PSREF:
Its a held ball and we go to the possession arrow.....geeez....don't make such a big deal about the vernacular. And yes..the two thumbs up is the correct signal.

Just trying to educate the fans, you old fart! Go take your nap!
tongue.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT