ADVERTISEMENT

Over the past 30 years what schools have the best PROGRAMS in the state

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Any level can be nominated----remember I am not talking about individual teams---I am talking about PROGRAMS that have been successful for a long long time.
Obviously being a Salem fan I nominate Salem but I would also nominate Giles
I would like to see what other people think around the state. -----try to back up your nominations with factual evidence.
Salem 319-65-2 Nine State Championship appearances---6 wins --with one still to be decided.
I do not know stats for Giles----maybe someone can help me out.,
I know I would like to know what other schools have had success for an extended time. Would Hampton be on this list?? How about Centerville, Lake Taylor, Oscar Smith Richlands, L.C.Bird, Phoebus, Highland Springs, Gate City?????----would they all qualify? I am sure that I am missing some.
This post was edited on 12/7 10:27 AM by southbottomU

Vhsl-reference has a whole section on this. You can look it up there and take what you will from their statistics and logic of use to reach a conclusion.

There is a Century of football there. It does get further sectioned into 10 year increments but 2000 - 2014 is it's own group.

But I glanced at it and tend to agree. Salem is about #4 or 5 over the last 30 years in VA overall. Probably #1 in 4A but it doesn't get broken down in that manner. You'll have to take the number for that period and Division and crunch them yourself. GL.

Since Salem has not had a losing season since 1983 I would
say they are near the top. Somebody give me proof otherwise.
#4 or #5 is hard to believe.

Well, Bird would be pretty good over 30 years. 285-68 (They were pretty good before that, even: 51-19-2).

I have playoff records broken down going back to 1970--I'm too lazy today to try and weed it down to 1985-2014

Here's a list of what I consider really good programs from 1970-present, and the years their programs were particularly good:

6A
1. James Robinson (1988-2004) 2 titles
2. C.D. Hylton (1995-2005) 3 titles
3. Varina (1995-2008)
4. Annandale (1972-1981, 1987-1994) 4 titles
5. Thomas Dale (1988-2002) 1 title, though not until 2009 otherwise they haven't won but one playoff game since 2002.
HM Oscar Smith - they've been really good since 2003, probably the best dynasty of current teams we'd say are real good.

Other current powers and when they became powers:
Centreville (1997, but with a a streak from 2002-2010 where they fell off)
Lake Braddock (2009)
Westfirld (2003)

5A
1. Hampton (1975-2005) 12 Titles. Have only advanced beyond round of 15 once since 2005 title.
2. L.C. Bird (1983-present) 2 Titles. Since Bird's first playoff win in 1983 they've rolled to best winning pct. in state and been in 28 playoffs (in Central Region they never went beyond 4 teams and 9-1 team routinely missed the playoffs in division 6, where they played).
3. Highland Springs (1973-1990) Somehow they ran out of playoff wins after 1990.
4. Matoaca (1989-2001) Made elite 8 nine times over this span and a couple of finals--they were in AA then.
5. Patrick Henry-Ashland (1993-2002) For ten years no one was more respected around Richmond.
HM Stone Bridge -they're don't have as many years as the above schools to rack up playoff tradition, but since 2002 they have won at least one playoff game every year and won a title and often probably would have it not for the Phoebus juggernaut.

Other current powers and when they became powers:
Hermitage (2007)
North Stafford (2011)
Broad Run (2008)
Briar Woods (2010)
Massaponax (2003)
Salem-VB (2006)
Tuscarora (2014)

4A
1. Salem (1986-present) Just dominant with very few season where they are not seen in the elite 8 and 6 titles, but it's been 10 years since their last one. I'm sure they want this one.
2. Courtland (1981-1991, 2000-2013 a little more spotty) 4 titles in 6 years in the 80's
3. Harrisonburg (1971-1987, a little more sparse but still some great seasons since). 1 title
4. Phoebus (2001-present), 7 titles, but not much noise before 2001. I'm not quite ready to declare their dynasty over, they are still putting a playoff win on the board each year.
5. Powhatan (1994-2011) I might should say to present, but they haven't won a playoff game since 2011. Their rise in 1994 was pretty unexpected. 2 titles
HM - A hard choice-Maybe GW-Danville they've stayed a good program since 1977, but rarely have they gotten as deep in the playoffs as some others on this list,, but they did get a title in 1982 and made the finals three other times 1981, 1994, 1996. A few lean years before a good season this year.

Other current powers and when they got good:
Liberty-Bealeton (occasionally since 1998)
Monacan (2014)
Heritage-Newport News (2013) Also had two good years at turn of century.
Dinwiddie (2008)

I might get to other 3 divisions later tonight, but I'm tired: Here's my top 5 for each though:
3A
Brookville
Southampton
James Monroe
Blacksburg
Rustburg

2A
Gate City
Madison County
Martinsville
Nottoway
Giles

1A
Lunenburg
Sussex Central
Clintwood
Parry McCluer
Radford

This post was edited on 12/7 3:29 PM by GilliamRatings

This post was edited on 12/7 3:34 PM by GilliamRatings

After looking at this, I'd say no one really compares favorably to Salem, except maybe Gate City, but even they are in a semi-swoon since their title in 2010.

Bird's the only team comparable to them in consistency over that time period, but nowhere near as good of a record deep in the playoffs.

Hampton looks like they stopped being a factor when Phoebus took over and that likely disguises how good some of their teams have been since 2005 because they had to face the Phantoms in early rounds.

Courtland has had two periods where they were elite but there was a pretty good drought for the program from 1992-1999.

Phoebus and Oscar Smith and Stone Bridge have been doing it for a decade or so, that's not the same as 30 years.

Brookville's not a bad candidate, but pretty lean from 2000-2006.

Of course if you pick your time period you can find other teams who look better, but over the last 30 years, I'd say

1. Salem
2. Gate City
3. Hampton
4. L.C. Bird
5. Giles

as far as long term dynasties. Main problem with sticking Giles in their is one of their state titles is outside your time frame, but starting in 1993 they got much more consistent. They were spotty great before that.

The anti-dynasties is Bluestone High School. Missing the playoffs 45 straight seasons. The only school that's been open since the beginning of they playoffs to never make the playoffs.

Yeah, in the context of the last 30 years, Hampton is definitely #1 overall.. At least per their way of evaluating programs. Not might be right but at least they make it the same for all.

Of course I will nominate Amherst- 3 state titles - 1995, 2006, 2007
Played in 4 straight state games winning 2. From 2005 - 2010 they had a record of 71-9

This post was edited on 12/7 9:11 PM by wikki

VHSL-REference is awesome, and rating programs all comes down to how much you want to weight making it to various levels of the playoffs. Their method is strongly skewed towards state titles (nothing wrong with that).

I tend to think of a program as a team that is ALWAYS good, so my rating methods for something like this are probably skewed a little more towards just making the playoffs and winning seasons. There is no right way to do it.

Not sure what a lean year is. GW has won at least 4 games every year since 1964. This year was the best since 96, but the Eagles reached the region finals in 2007 and 2008. GW also beat Massaponax up there in the first round in 2011.

George Washington definitely has what I would call a "slow simmer program," always good, but rarely at a rolling boil. 28 playoff appearances is more than any other current 4A team, but if you look at elite 8 appearances they are down to 14 and passed by 6 programs. Once you get to final 4's they drop off to 5 and there are 12 squads with more.

by my own rating method I have them as the sixth most successful playoff program of the past 45 years in 4A.

GW has been decent since Alger and Sonny came from Saltville. Those early 70's teams included several 9-1 efforts that did not make the playoffs after losing close games to Glass. That was back in the day when actually making the playoffs was an accomplishment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT