ADVERTISEMENT

Overtime at the 10 vs. the 25

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Hi everyone.

In the span of an hour, I've watched a couple of state playoff games which have needed overtime.

In the Ocean Lakes/Centreville game, overtime started at the 10-yard-line. Now that's been the rule forever ever since Virginia started using overtime around 1989 or so.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Steele/Katy in their state semifinal game in Texas. They are starting at the 25-yard-line for their overtime.

So does the NFHS allow states to choose their own rules for where to start overtime? Also, I noticed the coaches out at midfield for the coin toss for the Texas game and the referee got verbal confirmation from the opposing coach as to which side of the coin was called before the flip (never seen that before). Is that also something that is state specific when it comes to rules?

Has there ever been any talk about Virginia moving to the 25-yard-line to mimic the college rules?

Originally posted by Virginia HS Football Fan:
Hi everyone.

In the span of an hour, I've watched a couple of state playoff games which have needed overtime.

In the Ocean Lakes/Centreville game, overtime started at the 10-yard-line. Now that's been the rule forever ever since Virginia started using overtime around 1989 or so.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Steele/Katy in their state semifinal game in Texas. They are starting at the 25-yard-line for their overtime.

So does the NFHS allow states to choose their own rules for where to start overtime? Also, I noticed the coaches out at midfield for the coin toss for the Texas game and the referee got verbal confirmation from the opposing coach as to which side of the coin was called before the flip (never seen that before). Is that also something that is state specific when it comes to rules?

Has there ever been any talk about Virginia moving to the 25-yard-line to mimic the college rules?
Texas doesn't play under NFHS rules. They and Massachusetts use NCAA rules.

I did not know that. Pretty interesting.

Now, I can totally understand Texas doing their own thing but Massachusetts as well is kind of random. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT