ADVERTISEMENT

Overtime question

UJoking

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 22, 2008
In Virginia High School game, before first overtime there is a coin toss to determine who will play offense or defense. What is the procedure for a second overtime period if both teams have a tied score in the first overtime period?

The winner of the coin toss actually has three choices: offense, defense, or which end of the field.

If they're still tied after one round, there is no second toss. The loser of the first toss gets the choices.

See the accompanying link for the complete tie-breaking procedure.

EDIT: Looks like they need to update their document. Remaining timeouts from regulation play no longer carry over into overtime.
This post was edited on 10/16 1:07 AM by Fadamor

VHSL Football Tie-Breaker Procedures

Originally posted by UJoking:
In Virginia High School game, before first overtime there is a coin toss to determine who will play offense or defense. What is the procedure for a second overtime period if both teams have a tied score in the first overtime period?

There's only one toss in OT. For the second OT, the team that lost the first OT coin toss has the option. It alternates each OT after the first.

During the Centreville Chantilly game Friday night the game went to double overtime. The referee insisted that there is a second coin toss prior to the second overtime over the complaints of the Centreville Head Coach. Centreville won the toss and decided to play defense first. Knowing that they needed a 2 point conversion to win, they went for 2 and made it.

My question, if what you both have said is the rule, if Centreville had lost the coin toss and ended up losing the game. Could they appeal the game based on losing an opportunity to go on offense second (they had been on offense first in the first overtime period)? This seems to be a simple ... go to the rulebook decison. The referee refused and was quoted as saying "I know I am right"

Originally posted by UJoking:
My question, if what you both have said is the rule, if Centreville had lost the coin toss and ended up losing the game. Could they appeal the game based on losing an opportunity to go on offense second (they had been on offense first in the first overtime period)? This seems to be a simple ... go to the rulebook decison. The referee refused and was quoted as saying "I know I am right"

No. Both teams still get a possession. There is no evidence whatsoever that a team choosing defense first is any more likely to win (or lose). The R was wrong but the mistake was a minor technicality at best, far more embarrassing than actually impacting.

As an aside, I've had 5 OT games, 2 of which went to 3 OTs. The team that won had the ball FIRST in the final OT period in all 5. All 5 have ended with a team needing to score and failing.
This post was edited on 10/18 8:04 PM by White hat

No. Both teams still get a possession. There is no evidence whatsoever that a team choosing defense first is any more likely to win (or lose). The R was wrong but the mistake was a minor technicality at best, far more embarrassing than actually impacting.

Of course both teams get a possession! How can you say there is no advantage to being able to make your opponent go on offense before you do. How many teams chose to go on offense first during the 5 OT games you said you have officiated? There is a distinct advantage to having the ball after you know what your opponent has done on their possession. This could have been a huge mistake if Centreville had lost the toss and had to take the ball first. The fact that they won the game by knowing they needed the 2 point conversion shows how huge this is.

The problem here, to me, is the referees refusal to even go to the rulebook when questioned by the Coach about the rule. How can an obvious mistake concerning a written rule made by an official not be able to be appealed. If this type of mistake is not appealable than what is?

There is no appeal process.

Protests are not recognized by the VHSL or NFHS.

Sorry that some officials don't always get everything right. I wish we did and I bet the R in the Centerville game, once he looked up the rule, wishes he got it right.

I think the only advantage of knowing what the opponent did on their possession is that it adds or reduces options in play calling. It makes coaching decisions easier. It has no bearing in success or failure.

In the first 3OT game I did the team with the option chose offense first every time. It was the first year of OT and the automatic choice of defense first had not come around.
This post was edited on 10/18 11:47 PM by White hat

WH
What is your opinion regarding the rest of the crew possibly also failing to make the R aware of overtime procedures? My R would be equally upset with himself and the other 5 of us for not getting this right.

Originally posted by Jimsthman:
WH
What is your opinion regarding the rest of the crew possibly also failing to make the R aware of overtime procedures? My R would be equally upset with himself and the other 5 of us for not getting this right.

You are right, that was a crew mistake. we're all responsible for knowing the rules and we're all responsible for stepping up and saying something if a rule is being misapplied. If someone sees something they don't think is right I want to know about it and we can talk about it at least. For all I know the other members of the crew did talk to the R and he was sure he was right for some reason -- no way of knowing -- but someone on the crew should have known it and said something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT