ADVERTISEMENT

pairings so far for C & D

VHSL-helper

VaPreps All Region
Oct 23, 2004
2D

M-3 Ridgeview (7-3) @ S-2 Richlands (4-5)
S-4 Tazewell (5-5) @ M-1 Central (7-3)

S-3 Va. High (8-2) @ M-2 Union (7-3)
M-4 Gate City (4-6) @ S-1 Graham (9-0)

2-C

#6 Floyd Co. (6-4) @ #3 Radford (7-3)
#7 Gretna (5-5) @ #2 Glen/Appo

#5 Martinsville (4-5) @ #4 James River (5-5)
#8 Patrick Co. (2-7) @ #1 Glen/Appo

Last edited:
Are you sure about Union 1 and Central 2 from the M7? Swvasports is reading Central the 1 seed and Union the 2 seed from the M7

Found a mistake in Union's numbers - gave them a point for Graham's win twice - so now they're tied w/Central on points, but lost head-to-head, so Union falls to the 2 seed.

Patrick is 8 and Gretna 7. I'm guessing that D is going with some kind of district seedings and if these pairings are right it is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in pairing. How is a 8-2 team traveling to a 4-5 team in first round?
Yeah Region D is using a different method. I dont think too many people are real happy with it.

• Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
Patrick is 8 and Gretna 7. I'm guessing that D is going with some kind of district seedings and if these pairings are right it is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in pairing. How is a 8-2 team traveling to a 4-5 team in first round?

Yep. Somehow, all my Tues. night numbers 'took' except for Gretna's win. Fixed it.

In the 2D pairings Lee will replace Gate City as the #4 seed.
Sad for GC since they were the better team.
Are you sure about that? I was told it would be Gate City. Now, I'm hearing Lee. Why would one district do district standings and the other district do Power Points. This region D thing is messed up. Region D has a whacky system in the spring too, if I recall.

From multiple sources, that's what I have heard. If all holds true playoff bracket for RD 2A will look like this. From other sources I have heard Lee/Graham and VHS/Union will play their games Friday @7pm

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Yep, in Region D, the "Region" decided they would take the top 4 in each district for making the playoffs. In the SWD, the SWD determined that the top 4 in their district would be determined by district record FIRST, and if there was a tie in district record, then Head to Head Contest, then power points. <-------That's reasonable.

The other district, the M7 District determined they would pick their top 4 by power rating, and NOT by district record. In the M7 district, Gate City had a 1 game better record than Lee High and beat Lee High in regular season by 2 touchdowns. Both of them finished 4-6. Gate City played the tougher schedule, but Lee High got wins over 1A schools that happened to be 1A schools that also played a weak schedule which allowed Lee to barely outpoint Gate City. Sorry to say this, but this is an absolute joke that Lee High is in the playoffs over Gate City.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Gate City should leave the M7 and come back home to the old SWD where it belongs. There are 7 schools right now in the M7 and 6 schools right now in the Southwest District. If Gate City switches, it's no biggy, back to 7 and 6 the other way. If I were the Gate City AD, I truly would consider leaving the district and coming back home to the SWD after this kind of treatment. Just no way to justify what the M7 pulled letting Lee in the playoffs over Gate City.

Gate City should leave the M7 and come back home to the old SWD where it belongs. There are 7 schools right now in the M7 and 6 schools right now in the Southwest District. If Gate City switches, it's no biggy, back to 7 and 6 the other way. If I were the Gate City AD, I truly would consider leaving the district and coming back home to the SWD after this kind of treatment. Just no way to justify what the M7 pulled letting Lee in the playoffs over Gate City.
How did the other regions select playoff teams and seeds?
Seems like Abingdon would be a better fit for the SWD since they are closer :)

VHSL should require every region in the state to use same format.

Also no first round playoff games should involves rematches of regular season district games.

Also no first round playoff games should involves rematches of regular season district games.

I agree. If you want to do like Region D, and pick the top 4 from two districts, that's fine, but you have to ensure both districts do the same thing. Either it's by power rating for both districts, or it's by District Record for both districts. Shouldn't be one or the other, because you have a situation in Region D where it's no longer at the State "level" when going just by power ratings, and next it's no longer at the "region" level, you now have individual districts doing their own thing. That's when you know it's gone to far, when picking teams for the playoffs is not even any longer at the Region level, it's devolved down to the District Level and each district doing their own thing. This is the very PURPOSE of the VHSL power rating system, to prevent this non-sense.

As for Region A, again, going completely off the deep end and way beyond what Region D did. They actually have found a way to CREATE their own power rating system!!!!!! Forget about the VHSL's, we will just write new formulas, add some equations and percentages, and come up with our own ranking system!!!!! The VHSL needs to put their foot down and stamp that non-sense out quickly! If that spirals further, you have a mess across the state of Virginia.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
VHSL has always delegated too much to regions, districts and even individual schools.
I have read that in 2023 the VHSL will give control to each classification.

"Hiserman said that regardless of what classification system is used in 2023, the VHSL will begin allowing each classification to be its own governing body."

I have read that in 2023 the VHSL will give control to each classification.

"Hiserman said that regardless of what classification system is used in 2023, the VHSL will begin allowing each classification to be its own governing body."
That’s interesting

You have said this for years (not saying I disagree (I absolutely agree on each having conformity), but exactly how do you propose having no rematches?

Let's use Region B as the example, there are 8 teams from Bull Run, 1 from Shenandoah, and 1 from James River District. It's very likely for there to be a rematch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT