ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Henry R (C5) preview

Mike in your opinion, is that just talk that PH wants to go deep this year or do they really have a chance to be good and compete during playoff time?
C5 may be the most competitive class of all. They should make the playoffs, but they haven't advanced past the 1st round in their 5 year playoff run and I don't expect that to change this year. They have games with Brookville, Salem, Blacksburg, and Staunton River so it will be difficult to get a good seed and that will mean a tough 1st round draw.

C5 may be the most competitive class of all. They should make the playoffs, but they haven't advanced past the 1st round in their 5 year playoff run and I don't expect that to change this year. They have games with Brookville, Salem, Blacksburg, and Staunton River so it will be difficult to get a good seed and that will mean a tough 1st round draw.

In the past 31 seasons, Patrick Henry has racked up all of one playoff victory. And that came in 1994. The last three trips to the playoffs, the Patriots have been beaten by an average of 36 points, and they had Calfee at qb for two of those three games.

I'm sure their kids have worked hard and are sincere about wanting to win a few playoff games this season. As you say though, it's just real hard to see that happening, especially in a region with Massaponax, North Stafford and Brooke Point. If PH gets past the first round, I'd say they've done well.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
As you say though, it's just real hard to see that happening, especially in a region with Massaponax, North Stafford and Brooke Point. If PH gets past the first round, I'd say they've done well.

Thay crazy thing is, that is the easier side of the bracket in C5. HSHS, Bird, Hermitage, Hampton etc on the other side. The C5 football state title is the hardest earned trophy in va hs sports!

Thay crazy thing is, that is the easier side of the bracket in C5. HSHS, Bird, Hermitage, Hampton etc on the other side. The C5 football state title is the hardest earned trophy in va hs sports!

Before the Region D champ gets to anyone from that group you named, they still have to face the champ from Region C, which includes Tuscarora, Stone Bridge, Broad Run and others. I don't know about the Class 5 football title being the hardest earned out of all high school sports in the state, but it's gotta be right up there among the most difficult to win.

SpartanofYore, mike Salem and mbonape1 are correct. Class 5 is top to bottom the best division in the state.

Heck, if you get out of the Central region you have done something special. In fact, since realgnment the last four state champs are from there.

Since realignment, Class 4 has proven to be a tough go as well, but only four teams have made the finals with Salem, Salem winning two. Class 4 is well balanced based on east to west, but thats where it ends. Class 6 is similar.

Maybe this will possibly prove the boys point. Since 1986, getting out of the east has been a bear. 24 of the 30 champs have come from Richmond and eastward. I guess I could say that about Class 4 with the west dominating, but with the exception of Lafayette, none of the current east powerhouse teams played in Class 4. LT actually won Class 5 in 2012.

Just my two cents.

Simple math... the east has way more 5a & 6a teams to select from. The west has way more 1,2,3 class teams so they tend to dominate those. Speaking for Richmond we don't have many 4a schools. Mon, midlo, hug, dinwiddie, powhatan, and this year Pat henry ash.
There is ZERO 4a's in Va Beach. 1 in Norfolk, 0 in Portsmouth, 1 in chespeKe / Suffolk (KF) 0 in hampton, and 1 in Newport News (Her NN).

If it wasn't for Williamsburg we wouldnt even have an east.

Food for thought:
There have been rumors about a new HS in eastern Henrico that would knock Highland Springs and potentially Varina into 4A. Can you imagine what that would do to the 4a landscape!

Not sure the reason for a new school as there isnt a ton of development going on there, but I would assume it has something to do with the ages and overcrowding of Henrico, Varina, and Highland Springs.

With the exception of football and basketball these teams do no fair well athletically, so they could be better or worse depending on where the lines are drawn.

It could be a scheduling nightmare for the Capital District as well, but Class 4 football in Richmond could be bomb diggity.

Not sure the reason for a new school as there isnt a ton of development going on there, but I would assume it has something to do with the ages and overcrowding of Henrico, Varina, and Highland Springs.

With the exception of football and basketball these teams do no fair well athletically, so they could be better or worse depending on where the lines are drawn.

It could be a scheduling nightmare for the Capital District as well, but Class 4 football in Richmond could be bomb diggity.

Yeah it is due to over-crowding at both schools. Highland spring is only a 250-300 students loss away from being a D4 school. Varina is about 400-500 away. As long as HSHS has that same coaching staff that pipeline continues new school or not.

Martinsburg had patrick henry down 31-6 and then the two's came in the second half, did someone say deep run in 5A for PH?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT