ADVERTISEMENT

News Petersburg Names Coach

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Petersburg has found their man to replace Josh Wallace and it's a familiar one. Mike Scott returns to Petersburg to coach the very team he did so from 2008 to 2011. Scott stepped down after the 2011 season due to health concerns but he returns to the Wave being introduced at a ceremony this morning at Petersburg where the school received a golden football from the NFL as part of their 50th Superbowl Celebration.

In his four years on the job previously Scott was 21-21 with two playoff appearances including their first playoff win in 30 years in 2009! Scott's only losing season was his last, 3-7. This past season the Wave was 2-9, their worst season since 2-8 in 2007.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me, Danny. I caught the news tonight on the NFL award to Petersburg, and saw the sound bite with "Coach Scott". I said, huh? I was thinking, did they just get him to do a stand in or what? Now I know.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Petersburg has found their man to replace Josh Wallace and it's a familiar one. Mike Scott returns to Petersburg to coach the very team he did so from 2008 to 2011. Scott stepped down after the 2011 season due to health concerns but he returns to the Wave being introduced at a ceremony this morning at Petersburg where the school received a golden football from the NFL as part of their 50th Superbowl Celebration.

In his four years on the job previously Scott was 21-21 with two playoff appearances including their first playoff win in 30 years in 2009! Scott's only losing season was his last, 3-7. This past season the Wave was 2-9, their worst season since 2-8 in 2007.
Who was the player from Petersburg that played in a Super Bowl in order for them to receive the golden ball from the NFL?

Who was the player from Petersburg that played in a Super Bowl in order for them to receive the golden ball from the NFL?

Ricky Hunley who played for for the Wave in the late 70's went on to play for Denver playing in back-to-back Superbowl losses to the Redskins and the Giants.

Last edited:
Rick Smith played for the Wave and was an Assistant Defensive Backs Coach for Denver when they won their two Superbowls with John Elway.

Ricky Hunley who played for for the Wave in the late 70's went on to play for Denver playing in back-to-back Superbowl losses to the Redskins and the Giants.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I don't know much about Petersburg Football so I was curious who earned the bal for the school.

Rick Smith, did not play for the Wave, he went to high school in Ohio after his dad moved there to be Superintendent of Schools. Flsnupe, confirm? Rick did attend Petersburg schools earlier in life, but I think he moved before high school. His brother did play for the Wave in the 80s.

The Golden football came from Ricky Hunley who played for the Wave when we won State Championship in 1979 and then went on to Arizona in College and Denver in the NFL.

Rick Smith, did not play for the Wave, he went to high school in Ohio after his dad moved there to be Superintendent of Schools. Flsnupe, confirm? Rick did attend Petersburg schools earlier in life, but I think he moved before high school. His brother did play for the Wave in the 80s.

The Golden football came from Ricky Hunley who played for the Wave when we won State Championship in 1979 and then went on to Arizona in College and Denver in the NFL.

Thanks for clearing that up. Somewhere I had read he did attend Petersburg, leave it to the internet to mislead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT