ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Lewis, Salem, picks up offer

Rankings probably won't be initially kind to Lewis but after camps and senior tape combined with his offer list and speed that is acceptable at literally any college in the country, will be shocked if he's not a 4* by the end of things. Already the most recruited kid in Salem history for sure.

Good points @1MoreHokie. This kid has a ton of sound measurables and upside. From my memory yes he is the most heavily recruited kid from Salem. Strange thing is there have been others from Salem with similar numbers and abilities that seemed to deserve the opportunity to play D1, but did not. I think the current Spartan coaching staff is exposing or encouraging their studs to attend off season camps which has opened many new doors. You just have to look at the recent increase in D1 Spartans to recognize a new philosophy. Salem faithful please to correct me if I am wrong. It's awesome to see Class 4 kids showing their talents at the next level.

Last edited:
Rankings probably won't be initially kind to Lewis but after camps and senior tape combined with his offer list and speed that is acceptable at literally any college in the country, will be shocked if he's not a 4* by the end of things. Already the most recruited kid in Salem history for sure.
He appears to be Ramsey without the baggage and/or Marcus Parker without the knee injury.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
If you want to know what D1 schools want in a recruit ----and why some kids get the offers and others dont-----it's obvious-----SPEED. Serious speed , not 4.5 or 4.6. 4.4 and lower. I imagine Lewis is 4.3 and change.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
If you want to know what D1 schools want in a recruit ----and why some kids get the offers and others dont-----it's obvious-----SPEED. Serious speed , not 4.5 or 4.6. 4.4 and lower. I imagine Lewis is 4.3 and change.
He’s SEC level speed wise. I would be surprised if he doesn’t get a Bama and/or Georgia offer.

Reactions: lyhsports
Good points @1MoreHokie. This kid has a ton of sound measurables and upside. From my memory yes he is the most heavily recruited kid from Salem. Strange thing is there have been others from Salem with similar numbers and abilities that seemed to deserve the opportunity to play D1, but did not. I think the current Spartan coaching staff is exposing or encouraging their studs to attend off season camps which has opened many new doors. You just have to look at the recent increase in D1 Spartans to recognize a new philosophy. Salem faithful please to correct me if I am wrong. It's awesome to see Class 4 kids showing their talents at the next level.
From my understanding (talked with his dad at a game last fall) he hasn't even hit the camp circuit yet because he hasn't been fully healthy since he started high school. He is finally healthy now. My personal opinion is that his biggest advantage is that he has verified track times that are exceptional! College coaches love verified track times! It's not many HS RBs that have his combination of size and speed. Even fewer that are underclassmen.

In my opinion, Lewis and Hiter from Louisa are the two best RBs in the state, regardless of division or grade.

He’s SEC level speed wise. I would be surprised if he doesn’t get a Bama and/or Georgia offer.
He definitely has the size and speed for SEC. If it's one area that he needs to improve it is with his ball skills. You have to be able to catch the ball out of the back field in today's game. Not saying he can't because he can. But that would be his one area of weakness right now. Good thing is that he has plenty of time to improve that before his senior year.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He definitely has the size and speed for SEC. If it's one area that he needs to improve it is with his ball skills. You have to be able to catch the ball out of the back field in today's game. Not saying he can't because he can. But that would be his one area of weakness right now. Good thing is that he has plenty of time to improve that before his senior year.
Actually he catches the ball quite well. Good hands---punt returner. Problem is Salem rarely throws to back. About the only pass play directed his way is on the wheel route which he ran well and caught the ball. So, I don't think it is a weakness as much as just an untapped resource.

Actually he catches the ball quite well. Good hands---punt returner. Problem is Salem rarely throws to back. About the only pass play directed his way is on the wheel route which he ran well and caught the ball. So, I don't think it is a weakness as much as just an untapped resource.
I said he is capable of catching the ball from the backfield but I also believe that is the area of his game that needs the most improvement. That is not to say that he is a liability in that area, it just means that he is not elite in this area like he is most other areas. I watched several Salem games last season and catching the ball is the one thing I noticed that didn't seem as smooth as other parts of his game. That's all.

Can't post pictures on here for some reason but Tennessee just offered as well.

I said he is capable of catching the ball from the backfield but I also believe that is the area of his game that needs the most improvement. That is not to say that he is a liability in that area, it just means that he is not elite in this area like he is most other areas. I watched several Salem games last season and catching the ball is the one thing I noticed that didn't seem as smooth as other parts of his game. That's all.
He catches the sweep pretty well.......

• Haha
Reactions: VolNation85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT