ADVERTISEMENT

PH Roanoke Question

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
What's the deal with these guys? Beat a very good Glass team, play very poorly in the 1st half and come out the 2nd half and whip Fleming, LOSE to Franklin County
eek.r191677.gif
, get absolutely blown out by Fleming in the 2nd game, and then beat a top 3 4a team in GW Danville?

PH is inconsistent, particularly in terms of scoring the basketball. If GW shoots very well they might be a good team in 4A but, they have no where near the talent they have historically put on the floor. Rodgers is a good spot up shooter but, he can't get his shot against a good defender of comparable size and strength and he is really the only consistent scoring threat for GW.

Couldn't agree with you more cntjump on GW. They are no where as good as some of the teams they put together in the past although I will say I think this year's team is better than last year's team. Rodgers and #5 Khajuan Watkins are GW's best players. Kwamel Beck has the potential to be great but he's way too hot headed at times and gets away from his game. They are very young (#10 Patrick Robinson is going to be the next big thing west of Richmond being only a sophomore) but at the same time that's NO EXCUSE for them to play the way they've been playing. GW should've beat Bassett by 80 last Friday but they played down to their competition level and that's going to be one of the reasons Fleming or Glass is going to win Conf. 24 this year and put an end to GW's season.

PH's inconsistancy comes from lack of experienced guard play. The thing that made them so good over the last 7-10 years was their guard play. If they can develop a gaurd then you will C A more consistant team.

That's a very accurate assessment. This year is the first time in the 7-10 year period where they really have no guards that had played significant minutes in prior years despite this year's starters being seniors. One other factor affecting guard play is they don't have the significant number of threats from three range that they have had in the past which makes them easier to defend. What's your opinion on basketball in the area? Mine is that this year is one of the weakest in quite a while, however, there seems to be a fair amount of good young(9th/10th graders) players on varsity rosters which would indicate this down cycle will not be prolonged.

Based on what i've seen the Single A (1 and 2) maybe the best of all in our area. Radford, Altivista,Dan River and Martinsville seem to B good. Have not seen Halifax yet but hear they R good also. Over all seems to B a down year for Basketball in the higher classess in our area. WF is the head scratcher for me, they have good talent but it's hard to watch them because yhey play @ such a snails pace I don't get it but the coach knows better than me. Whats your take on Northside and Byrd R they as good as their record r is it fools gold

Agree with your comments about Single A(1&2) and Glenvar deserves mention as well IMO. I have seen Halifax twice(1 live game and 1 scrimmage).They didn't look that good in the scrimmage but, were better live game. I think they are between solid and good but, last night's victory over Martinsville was about Holland getting injured IMO. I think both Northside and Byrd are good(have seen both just once live) but, not as good as their records so far. Shut down their primary threats and they are much closer to solid than good IMO. I think there are teams in 1 and 2 that can make some noise at the state level, maybe even a lot of noise but, I don't see many in the other four higher classes at present that will unless they improve a lot between now and the middle of February.

Didn't mean to leave Glenvar out they r pretty good also looking forward to the rematch with Radford hope Williams stays out of foul trouble.Not sure if you follow Girls but Floyd seems to B the best followed by WF. Other than tose TWO it's a very bad year for girls in our area

Daughter(long graduated now) used to play but, I follow the girl's only through news reports now unless there is a really good matchup. I agree with your assessment based on news reports. Seems like HV, FC and Salem, all traditionally solid, are being affected by a number of injury and/or chemistry issues contributing to the down year in the area. The rest of the pack look about like they always look I guess.

boys basketball in the area is down for whatever reason (painful to watch) but ph is young so i will give them a pass. they should be good in two year but wouldn't be surprised if they pull off a shocker in conf play

They're relatively inexperienced but, they start 3 seniors so they aren't necessarily young. They did not have to be that inexperienced as that is on the coach. He had enough blowouts and walkovers last year that those guys could have been given live game reps for experience. As it went, they got their best experience in the last state playoff game where just about everybody but, the ballboy fouled out. They did however make a run which begs the question as to whether a little more game time earlier in the year would have aided that effort. Of course, the counterpoint to that is they were too inexperienced at that point to know any better and might have not known any better which led to them playing with loose sneakers and no expectations in that playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT