ADVERTISEMENT

Pick em Rules

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Each week I'll try and find (8) Class 4 East games and (8) Class 4 West games. In the event I can't find enough C4 games I'll pick from other classes. Each correct pick is worth 1 point apiece, with the GOW (or games plural) will be worth 2 points each. (Some weeks will have more than one GOW) Anyone that picks every game correctly will receive 2 bonus points. Also, the weekly winner will receive 1 bonus point.

Some games chosen will be on a Thursday, get your picks in early to avoid losing points for late submissions. You are not allowed to edit your picks after games start (Fri @ 7) or you will get a 0 for the week, because I have no way to know what your original picks were. Feel free to email me at mike24885@comcast.net with suggestions for picks as I'm not a statewide expert.

Playoffs:

I wanted to post this now because regular participation in the weekly pick em will ensure qualifying for the playoffs and potentially increase your odds of winning the title.
The playoffs will be done differently this year. Rather than matching top seed vs low seed, everyone will compete against each other just like during the regular season. Each week we will have eliminations until a Champion is crowned. To be eligible for the playoffs you have to participate in at least 10/11 regular season weeks. Everyone that qualifies for the playoffs has an equal chance of being the Pick em Champ!

Here's how it works::

Everyone starts with 0 playoff points

At the end of Round 1 the Top 16 will advance.

At the end of Round 2 the Top 8 will advance.

At the end of Round 3 the Top 4 will advance.

At the end of Round 4 the Top 2 will advance.

At the end of Round 5 the Champion will be determined.

Ties for all rounds will be broken by who had more regular season points. If there is a tie for regular season points then the highest Week 11, 10, 9... score will be used till the tie is broken.

Thank you and good luck with your picks.

Mike

Last edited:
I'll just say, when I started participating in the pick em back midway through 2014 season, it was the best thing I could've done. Mike and DP have done an excellent job of keeping record of everything and putting forth the best games week in and week out. On another note, I led for 11 weeks last year and got pushed out in the first round by one of my favorite posters, SalemGal! I look to redeem myself and hold off Mike Salem aka the "human pick em cheat code":D

Sorry man, sorry to say those picks were just luck too!

I'll just say, when I started participating in the pick em back midway through 2014 season, it was the best thing I could've done. Mike and DP have done an excellent job of keeping record of everything and putting forth the best games week in and week out. On another note, I led for 11 weeks last year and got pushed out in the first round by one of my favorite posters, SalemGal! I look to redeem myself and hold off Mike Salem aka the "human pick em cheat code":D

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I got taken out 1st round as well DSH. I think I should just stick to the regular season picks. I think I was the 1 or 2 seed the last 2 years going in and got knocked out pretty quickly both times. Va Blue Devils you're welcome to play. The more "pickers" we have the more fun it is.

Careful what you ask for Mike. You know how those awe shucks rookies are. Been burnt by a many of them.

I got taken out 1st round as well DSH. I think I should just stick to the regular season picks. I think I was the 1 or 2 seed the last 2 years going in and got knocked out pretty quickly both times. Va Blue Devils you're welcome to play. The more "pickers" we have the more fun it is.

Question though Mike...since I'm a Spartan too(Giles) do I have to pick your Spartans every week? LOL

I'm joking but I will probably pick Salem anyway though haha

Question though Mike...since I'm a Spartan too(Giles) do I have to pick your Spartans every week? LOL

I'm joking but I will probably pick Salem anyway though haha
Yes you have to pick the Spartans every week. We have to stick together. (Although if Giles/Blacksburg happens to be a pick em game, that could be a tough choice)

If I may offer my measly two cents, I think every game on the contest should involve at least one Class 4 team. My personal preference would be not to have games wherein both teams are Class 3 or Class 5, for instance. Chiefly because each of the other classes' boards has their own pick 'em, and we're all about Class 4 here. There should be enough decent games around the state involving Class 4 teams that a man of your obvious talents and abilities shouldn't have any problem choosing eight from each side.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
If I may offer my measly two cents, I think every game on the contest should involve at least one Class 4 team. My personal preference would be not to have games wherein both teams are Class 3 or Class 5, for instance. Chiefly because each of the other classes' boards has their own pick 'em, and we're all about Class 4 here. There should be enough decent games around the state involving Class 4 teams that a man of your obvious talents and abilities shouldn't have any problem choosing eight from each side.
That's always my goal, but from my experience the last 2 years, it's easier said than done. For example in the 1st week approximately half of the C4 East is off! (Central isn't much better)

Having filled in a little for Mike, it often gets tough to find enough C4 "involved" games that are not hopelessly one sided pics. I hear what you are saying, but I would rather see a game that could go either way, regardless of Class.

Now, that was my itty bitty one cents worth of over valued opinion.

I will add this. I like an occasional C4 game of two teams that are struggling to find a win. That can be a more challenging pick that a lot of the top teams. (Did that decrease or increase my one cents worth?)

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Maybe so, but Pops probably won't remember this post by tomorrow.
I read the post, but I can tell I have never seen it it say one way or the other. His brother in law did say DP's looks like one, but only smaller. I guess his confession confirms it. Lord have mercy! Can we get the games started, the man is going to give Navy Nation a bad name.

Last edited:
Speaking of DP, he used to be fireman. I dont know if you guys know how he got the job, but I will tell you the truth.

One day the Dinwiddie Courthouse caught fire. Town folk were at a loss how to put it out. DP, his wife, and young daughter came rolling down the road in his old Chevorlet truck. The crowd parted and a young DP ran his truck and family right snack dab in the middle of the fire. The whole family got out and srarted stomping the fire. Mrs. DP even ripped her dress and was swatting the flames. She was hollering stomp here, stomp there and they put the fire out.

The crowd cheered and roared "the DP family saved the courthouse. They are heros." The people there passed the hat for DP and his family. The mayor handed DP $100.00 and a firemans badge. He asked DP what he planned do with all that money. DP being the genius he is stuck his chest out and said "the first thing I am going to do is get the brakes on my truck fixed"!

If I am lying I am dying! Now you know rest of the story. Good day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT