ADVERTISEMENT

Piedmont District 2023

I think Tunstall will be greatly improved, but that may mean losing games 42-14 instead of 56-0. That's a huge difference but it may not show much in their overall record. I think they hired a great young coach in Kirkland Brown who has done a great job recruiting kids to play football since so many kids there are basketball only or baseball only. In fact, they didn't have a 7th/8th grade middle school (A team) last year because of fall baseball. Once fall baseball started, they lost so many football kids that they had to disband. Kirkland used to be the OC at Averett but gave it up to go to Chatham as OC last year and this year got the head job at Tunstall. He was very creative as OC last year at Chatham and made it tough on defenses. He ran a variety of things to overcome injuries. Tunstall has enough athletes, big kids, quality baseball arms, and soccer program to get everything you need to fill out a football team. I haven't heard who his DC will be but I trust Brown's ability to put points on the board. Stopping someone may be a different thing.
That’s a damn great hire. No reason Tunstall should ever be bad. Biggest school in the county and the strongest economic base of any of the Southside VA schools. They could easily model their program after Botty/Salem and be a top 4 team in the region, yearly.

Don't forget Stone Bridge (Class 5) who gives Highland Springs all they can handle year in and year out. Most years they're better than the Class 4 Champ.
Overall top to bottom I agree with @BoKnowsSports; however, Maury, Green Run, and Stone Bridge are elite programs and probably as good or better than most C4 teams.

Bo, did you hear the news out of Martinsville? Coach Martin has left the Dogs and will be the new coach at Morehead High School. Don't know who the Dogs will get at this late date to be the head coach.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
They will suck. Not a football culture there and they don't really want to have one.
Back in the early 2000's they were pretty darn good in football...if my memory serves me right. Had some big lineman and some hard running backs. I cannot remember the one running back's name, but he ended up walking on at Tech and having a decent career there.

I do agree that Tunstall is now a 99.7% baseball school. Nothing else matters.

Back in the early 2000's they were pretty darn good in football...if my memory serves me right. Had some big lineman and some hard running backs. I cannot remember the one running back's name, but he ended up walking on at Tech and having a decent career there.

Made the states around 2012.

Carlton Weatherford. He was a monster.

Tunstall had two very good backs in Carlton Weatherford and Mario Huffman. Huffman walked on at Tech too but ended his career at Averett. He was Averett’s first big time player.

@tommythecpa that Tunstall team was very good. Huffman’s younger brother was their best player. He was good enough to get a JMU PWO. They came very close to ending Brookville’s run but just didn’t have enough offense to match Kendall BeCraft. That Tunstall defense was scary with Huffman and the late/great Caleb Ashworth (Cincinnati/U of Delaware). That next year they almost beat GW in Dry Fork. GW won 17-14.

Tunstall had two very good backs in Carlton Weatherford and Mario Huffman. Huffman walked on at Tech too but ended his career at Averett. He was Averett’s first big time player.

@tommythecpa that Tunstall team was very good. Huffman’s younger brother was their best player. He was good enough to get a JMU PWO. They came very close to ending Brookville’s run but just didn’t have enough offense to match Kendall BeCraft. That Tunstall defense was scary with Huffman and the late/great Caleb Ashworth (Cincinnati/U of Delaware). That next year they almost beat GW in Dry Fork. GW won 17-14.
@btowenatc, thanks for remembering Carlton Weatherford. It was driving me nuts. And BoKnowsSports, thanks for remembering Huffman, I completely forgot about him. They were both beasts.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT