ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt County Games

colonel 72

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
Any thoughts on Chatham V Tunstall and Gretna V DR. Rain may play a factor again but it is early. I'll take Tunstall in a close one and DR with a little more cushion. I'll probably be wrong in both.

Gretna-Chatham was way closer than the 24-8 score and after reading this article, the Gretna-Tunstall game was closer than 14-0.

So I would say Chatham has a good chance of beating Tunstall if they run the ball like they did against Gretna and Dan River. Chatham has a beast of a RB (think John Riggins) that is hard to bring down.

Gretna is very young going up against a senior laden Dan River team and needs to run the ball well to control the game and have a chance. According to the article they moved the ball against Tunstall but failed to score because of turnovers and had a TD called back because of a penalty.

Last edited:
Tunstall should dominate the county and compete in the region with the size and athletes they have on a yearly basis.

Cannot disagree with you. They are the largest school in county. Then comes DR, next is Chatham and Gretna is the smallest by far.
Indeed. There’s no difference in the caliber of athletes that GW has and the athletes that Tunstall has... Just the mindset. Tunstall also invests more into their athletic programs than the other schools in the area. I’ve been to a lot schools in this state, every ball field Tunstall has is top tier. They have the athletes and size (bigger school and pulls from a large area), they have the community support, and they have the resources. Just gotta start beating people.

Last edited:
DR's Jorden Price was the Player of the Game. A 99-yard kickoff return and two touchdown receptions. Robert Carter had the Wildcats' first TD of the night.

Chatham fumbled inside the Tunstall 10 on a potential game-tying series.

So next week, it will be rematches of Week 1
1st place game - #2 Tunstall (2-1) at #1 Dan River (3-0)
3rd place game - #4 Chatham (0-3) at #3 Gretna (1-2)

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
To my surprise they will. I thought Pitt schools had opted out and would only play this inbred county schedule. But I was told that they can compete if the points add up I guess. So it seems DR will play if they beat Tunstall !!!

Thanks colonel 72. Only in the Covid era. I hope this coming fall brings some sense of normalcy.

Allowing them in is wrong but,.... Shame on the VHSL for allowing this.
If THEY chose to stay out (didn't want to play football outside their county; their volleyball team and other fall teams traveled)) then that should hold true for playoffs. Appomattox would have LOVED to have played all the different schools in the Dogwood (and would have been a better team heading into the playoffs), but were saddled with the same three teams due to the decision of Pitts Co.
Appomattox needed a game against an opponent the likes of Dan River (win or lose).

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfool2
Allowing them in is wrong but,.... Shame on the VHSL for allowing this.
If THEY chose to stay out (didn't want to play football outside their county; their volleyball team and other fall teams traveled)) then that should hold true for playoffs. Appomattox would have LOVED to have played all the different schools in the Dogwood (and would have been a better team heading into the playoffs), but were saddled with the same three teams due to the decision of Pitts Co.
So far the info somebody said sounds like an opinion and not supported here with any source. There have been two different news teams talking to county school officials and both have reported Pitt county is not playing in playoffs. VHSL and Dogwood officials are not transparent and fail to reply with any info.

So far the info somebody said sounds like an opinion and not supported here with any source. There have been two different news teams talking to county school officials and both have reported Pitt county is not playing in playoffs. VHSL and Dogwood officials are not transparent and fail to reply with any info.
Shame is that it is not the kids fault. But someone should shoulder the responsibility for what effects more than just their schools.

I remember that article. I thought the same thing. Then surprise we can compete in the regionals. No one was more surprised than me when I heard that our county champ could compete if the points were good enough. Welcome to the backward world of Pittsylvania County sports. It can be frustrating and sometimes embarressing.

• Haha
This may help. Someone just told me that four games were the minimum to play in order to be considered for regional play. Have yall heard that? If that is the case I think they failed to mention in the newspaper article that three games with that county championship games would entitle them to play in regionals if they had the requisite points. That might have been where the confusion started. If so it could have been handled better because it has been confusing for a lot of people.

This may help. Someone just told me that four games were the minimum to play in order to be considered for regional play. Have yall heard that? If that is the case I think they failed to mention in the newspaper article that three games with that county championship games would entitle them to play in regionals if they had the requisite points. That might have been where the confusion started. If so it could have been handled better because it has been confusing for a lot of people.

Don't know where you heard that from, but that obviously isn't something from the VHSL as a requirement. Proof being Region 1A is starting their playoffs this week and a majority of those teams have not played 4 games.

The reason why you can have them that way, or 2D the way they sound to be doing it is that VHSL doesn't care how a Region gives them a champion. So IF there is a 4 game minimum, it would only apply to a specific Region

Don't know where you heard that from, but that obviously isn't something from the VHSL as a requirement. Proof being Region 1A is starting their playoffs this week and a majority of those teams have not played 4 games.

The reason why you can have them that way, or 2D the way they sound to be doing it is that VHSL doesn't care how a Region gives them a champion. So IF there is a 4 game minimum, it would only apply to a specific Region
Thanks. My info was obviously wrong.

Let me ask you a different question if I may. In the area that you live in do your schools have full time ADs or are they assitant principals who just have the athletic duties?

Let me ask you a different question if I may. In the area that you live in do your schools have full time ADs or are they assitant principals who just have the athletic duties?
Not directed to me, but i have seen it both ways in Lynchburg city. Cant remember what year it was but the AD Mark Storm for Heritage was like a 10 month job position even. He coached our neighborhood swim team and the city made his job a 12 month job right in the middle of summer swim season.

Technically it is both. There are AD's, but I believe most are still vice principal. But they are THE AD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT