ADVERTISEMENT

Player Ejection Question

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Some teams use players in a JV game then use the same player again in the varsity game the next night. Note: with no violation of the rule about playing time, if that is even applicable in this case.

Question: If a player is ejected from the JV game for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (the player said something to the official), is that player eligible to play in the varsity game the following day?

To make this clear, this falls completely out of the realm of officiating. This is not a rule in a sports rules book, it is solely handled at the school administration and VHSL level. But, I do own a copy of the VHSL handbook so here's your answer.

"PM 27-11-6 (1) SPORTSMANSHIP RULE/Player and/or Coach Ejection Penalty (4-00)- Players and coaches who are ejected from a contest for unsportsmanlike conduct and are ineligible for the team’s next contest(s) . . . must sit out the next contest(s) played by the same team, meaning that if the ejection is from a varsity contest, the penalty is applied to the next varsity contest(s); a junior varsity ejection means the penalty is applied to the next junior varsity contest(s). Further, the penalty means a LOSS of one or two contests under the Contest Limitation Rule, and a player could not suit up for games at another level of competition to replace those he/she is required to sit out."

So to answer your question, yes the player can play a varsity game the same week he is suspended in JV, but the suspension counts towards their Contest Limitation, meaning they lose 1, 2, etc. games of eligibility that season. So, if they play varsity the week they're suspended in JV, they're losing potential playing time at the end of the year.

Again, officials will not get involved in these issues on the field. It will be handled outside the confines of the game by the administrators.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
As an official working a game, if you are under the belief that a player that is ineligible because of an ejection in a previous game is in uniform, warming up, and/or playing, are you duty bound to bring it to the attention of either coach? Or is this totally out of your pervue?

As an official working a game, if you are under the belief that a player that is ineligible because of an ejection in a previous game is in uniform, warming up, and/or playing, are you duty bound to bring it to the attention of either coach? Or is this totally out of your pervue?

Totally out of our pervue as there's no way we'd even be aware of it besides a coach telling us before the game that said player was ejected. At that point, we just refer them to administration.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I have had an ejection then two nights later I had the same team. Saw the ejected player warming up. About 5 minutes after we came out on the floor the player that had been ejected headed to the locker room and did not see him in uniform again that night.

I have had an ejection then two nights later I had the same team. Saw the ejected player warming up. About 5 minutes after we came out on the floor the player that had been ejected headed to the locker room and did not see him in uniform again that night.
What took place? Gamesmanship? A little birdie whispered in someone's ear?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT