ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Points 3/27

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
I will say it one more time, I am NOT making a determination if a team is "eligible" for the playoffs. I have said it every week and people say something. If its said again, you might just be waiting until the official points come out instead of getting them early next week after final games.

Region A
1. King William (4-0): 20.50
2. Nottoway (2-0): 20.00 Counted Wrong
3. Poquoson (2-2): 15.50
4. Amelia (3-2): 15.40
5. Randolph Henry (1-1): 13.50
6. Bruton (0-3): 11.33
7. Windsor (0-2): 9.00

Region B
1. Stuarts Draft (5-0): 22.80
2. Strasburg (4-1): 19.40
3. Page County (3-1): 17.00
4. Clarke County (2-1): 15.67
5. Luray (3-2): 15.60
6. Buffalo Gap (2-3): 15.40
7. Staunton (1-4): 11.40
8. Stonewall (1-4): 10.80
9. East Rockingham (0-5): 10.60
10. Madison County (0-5): 8.60

Here is the complete picture for Region B, Stuarts Draft has locked the 1 seed. Strasburg will have the 2 seed with a win against Stonewall. The winner of the Page County and Luray game will be the 3 seed. If Buffalo Gap beats Fort Defiance, they will be the 4 seed, and if Fort Defiance beats Buffalo Gap, then Clarke County is the 4 seed.

The 4 seed is based on CURRENT scheduled games.

Region C
1. Appomattox (5-0): 21.60
2. Dan River (3-0): 20.67
3. Glenvar (3-2): 18.80
4. Fort Chiswell (3-1): 17.75
5. Radford (3-1): 17.25
6. Giles (2-3): 14.00
7. Floyd County (2-3): 13.40
8. Gretna (1-2): 12.33
9. James River (1-4): 11.40 Narrows added forfeit
9. Nelson County (1-4): 11.40
11. Patrick County (0-4): 11.00
12. Chatham (0-3): 8.67
13. Alleghany (0-5): 8.00

These will change after Monday as Fort Chiswell game was postponed until Monday. I will update afterwards.

If the Pittsylvania County teams aren't eligible, then the teams appear set. If Dan River is eligible, then 4/5 will be very close. Appomattox with a win clinches the 1 seed by way of Tiebreaker (if the County Championship counts for DR).

Region D
1. Graham (5-0): 22.40
2. Central Wise (4-1): 18.80
3. Tazewell (3-2): 17.60
4. Richlands (3-2): 16.80
5. Union (3-2): 16.00
6. Ridgeview (2-1): 15.33
7. John Battle (2-1): 15.00
8. Lebanon (2-3): 14.20
9. Virginia (2-3): 14.00
10. Marion (1-4): 11.80
11. Lee (0-5): 9.40
11. Gate City (0-5): 9.40

So gentlemen, it appears if we have some pivotal games this coming week. Unfortunately, some will be solved by Thursday, some Friday, and maybe even Saturday.

I will update once the Monday games are complete and if I spot any errors

Last edited:
Gunz, not arguing with you here. I am simply pointing the following out to readers. It's my understanding that the regions.....as in.......each region determines how teams make the playoffs. For example, in Region D, there is actually a chance Graham could not just not be the top seed, but could actually NOT make the playoffs all together at 5-1. (Assuming Richlands were to upset Graham next week). For example, in Region D, they are taking 4 teams of course, and the top 2 teams in each of the 2 districts make the playoffs. The M7 district is now done and automatic with Central finishing first and Union finishing second now that Ridgeview has cancelled it's season. In the SWD, they decided the first game of the year did not count! So, the first Graham over Richlands didn't count and the Tazewell loss to Riverheads didn't count in regards to district finish. Only the final 5 games count.

So, if Richlands upsets Graham next week, it leaves a 3 way tie in the SWD with Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands all with only 1 official loss in the district and they then flip a coin to see which one of these three teams is out of the playoffs regardless of whether all three outpointed Union in the M7. So, assuming Graham wins over Richlands and is the 1 seed, they automatically host the 2 seed in the M7 and Central, the one seed in the M7 would host Tazewell. The winners of those games then comes down to powerpoints as to where the game is played if both 1 seeds wins. So, what I'm saying for the readers is, know your own regions criteria for which 4 teams make the playoffs. It might not simply be about powerpoints. In Region D, about the only thing power points means is who will host the Region Title game but actually means little in determining who makes the playoffs. Abingdon is actually not going to count in district finish in the M7 this year. I know, weird rules, right? So, Union is now automatically in regardless of what happens next week and they are automatically going to travel on the road in game 1 of the playoffs (to Graham if Graham beats Richlands next week).

Also thanks Gunz for the powerpoint updates and I appreciate what you do. I would ask any reader on this forum to start another thread if possible about Region A and Region C. I want to know the criteria for your region in how teams make the playoffs. For example, does Nottoway have enough games to qualify? How is Region A determining that? I am aware of Region B's criteria, but I am not even familiar with my own Region (Region C's ) criteria for making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Gunz, not arguing with you here. I am simply pointing the following out to readers. It's my understanding that the regions.....as in.......each region determines how teams make the playoffs. For example, in Region D, there is actually a chance Graham could not just not be the top seed, but could actually NOT make the playoffs all together at 5-1. (Assuming Richlands were to upset Graham next week). For example, in Region D, they are taking 4 teams of course, and the top 2 teams in each of the 2 districts make the playoffs. The M7 district is now done and automatic with Central finishing first and Union finishing second now that Ridgeview has cancelled it's season. In the SWD, they decided the first game of the year did not count! So, the first Graham over Richlands didn't count and the Tazewell loss to Riverheads didn't count in regards to district finish. Only the final 5 games count.

So, if Richlands upsets Graham next week, it leaves a 3 way tie in the SWD with Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands all with only 1 official loss in the district and they then flip a coin to see which one of these three teams is out of the playoffs regardless of whether all three outpointed Union in the M7. So, assuming Graham wins over Richlands and is the 1 seed, they automatically host the 2 seed in the M7 and Central, the one seed in the M7 would host Tazewell. The winners of those games then comes down to powerpoints as to where the game is played if both 1 seeds wins. So, what I'm saying for the readers is, know your own regions criteria for which 4 teams make the playoffs. It might not simply be about powerpoints. In Region D, about the only thing power points means is who will host the Region Title game but actually means little in determining who makes the playoffs.

Also thanks Gunz for the powerpoint updates and I appreciate what you do. I would ask any reader on this forum to start another thread if possible about Region A and Region C. I want to know the criteria for your region in how teams make the playoffs. For example, does Nottoway have enough games to qualify? How is Region A determining that? I am aware of Region B's criteria, but I am not even familiar with my own Region (Region C's ) criteria for making the playoffs.

I am just going off of the Ratings. So by those points, Graham has clinched the 1 seed.

Now, if you use what you referenced (not saying true or not, I have no idea):

Then in all likelihood, by Points being a Tiebreaker (if Richlands beats Graham), Tazewell misses the playoffs by 1 point, and head to head Tiebreaker would then go to Richlands over Graham.

I will say, I would be surprised if they choose not to use Points for the playoffs, and even more surprised if they don't count a game. There is a reason that VHSL has counted these games from the beginning.

I am just going off of the Ratings. So by those points, Graham has clinched the 1 seed.

Then in all likelihood, by Points being a Tiebreaker (if Richlands beats Graham), Tazewell misses the playoffs by 1 point, and head to head Tiebreaker would then go to Richlands over Graham.

I will say, I would be surprised if they choose not to use Points for the playoffs, and even more surprised if they don't count a game. There is a reason that VHSL has counted these games from the beginning.

That Region is counting the first game for power points as it relates to the 2nd round of the playoffs, but not to determine who makes the playoffs. With 2 districts in Region D, they decided the top 2 AA teams in each district (excludes Abingdon) make the playoffs. The district winners host game one, and then......the power points come into play which includes game one of the season for which team hosts the region title game. There are two teams that host and two teams that travel based on what they did in their district. If Richlands pulled the upset over Graham, it would leave a 3 way tie in the SWD and again, game one was decided early on that it did not count for district standings/making the playoffs, and if Graham were to lose, they would literally flip a coin to see which one of the 3 teams in Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands stays home.

This is why I'm asking clarification if anyone knows about their region's criteria. For example, Region A and Nottoway. Is 3 games enough to get in? The Regions determine how teams make the playoffs and how they are seeded and this year, everything is different. Some fan from Region D can clarify the above, but I'm pretty sure that's how Region D is determining who makes the playoffs.

There is literally a chance that if Graham loses next week to Richlands, they could possibly not be in the playoffs at all. Union and Central are now automatic from the M7. They are in and Central hosts game one and Union travels. These are the only 2 teams that have clinched a playoff spot in Region D. Graham, even at 5-0, has not clinched a playoff spot. I read this from SWVAsports which is pretty much a Region D board and these guys know their stuff and they are all over it.

Reactions: 19GHS87
That Region is counting the first game for power points as it relates to the 2nd round of the playoffs, but not to determine who makes the playoffs. With 2 districts in Region D, they decided the top 2 AA teams in each district (excludes Abingdon) make the playoffs. The district winners host game one, and then......the power points come into play which includes game one of the season for which team hosts the region title game. There are two teams that host and two teams that travel based on what they did in their district. If Richlands pulled the upset over Graham, it would leave a 3 way tie in the SWD and again, game one was decided early on that it did not count for district standings/making the playoffs, and if Graham were to lose, they would literally flip a coin to see which one of the 3 teams in Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands stays home.

This is why I'm asking clarification if anyone knows about their region's criteria. For example, Region A and Nottoway. Is 3 games enough to get in? The Regions determine how teams make the playoffs and how they are seeded and this year, everything is different. Some fan from Region D can clarify the above, but I'm pretty sure that's how Region D is determining who makes the playoffs.

There is literally a chance that if Graham loses next week to Richlands, they could possibly not be in the playoffs at all. Union and Central are now automatic from the M7. They are in and Central hosts game one and Union travels. These are the only 2 teams that have clinched a playoff spot in Region D. Graham, even at 5-0, has not clinched a playoff spot. I read this from SWVAsports which is pretty much a Region D board and these guys know their stuff and they are all over it.

I am not going to keep going back and forth man, that's exactly why I put what I did at the beginning. You could very well be right, so maybe I should just only do Region B going forward. Seems like people want to have issues with the others 🤷‍♂️. And to think, I did all this extra work to help others on here, as none of the other Regions finishes have any bearing on my school. So I hope you are right.

I guess I will see what kind of mood I am in next week. At least us Region B schools will have a good idea on who is playing

Man, sorry if I offended you man. I'm grateful what you do and have written that a few times. I was just happy talking football with you. Not meant to be argumentative or offensive. Again, sorry if I offended you.

I am not going to keep going back and forth man, that's exactly why I put what I did at the beginning. You could very well be right, so maybe I should just only do Region B going forward. Seems like people want to have issues with the others 🤷‍♂️. And to think, I did all this extra work to help others on here, as none of the other Regions finishes have any bearing on my school. So I hope you are right.

I guess I will see what kind of mood I am in next week. At least us Region B schools will have a good idea on who is playing

I think he was just letting you know how Region D is doing their playoffs this year. It's not the top four teams overall, it's the top two teams in each district and the games the SWD played in week one and the M7 games against Abingdon won't be included in their totals for the purpose of the 2D playoffs.
I don't think he was criticizing you or being ungrateful, just sharing how 2D is going their system and asking if the other regions are going by strictly points or a combo system like 2D.

You guys are missing the point. And no, I am not offended. But I specifically stated that I am not saying who is in the playoffs. And I said it because EVERY week someone said something about it. And then also someone questioning my numbers, after explaining it multiple times.

So all I was saying is that if me doing it isn't helping others (since again, they help me ZERO), then I just won't do it.

I couldn't care less. I have other things I could be doing, but since I know my numbers I figured I would help everyone else out. But if I am going to be told multiple weeks in a row that this or that isn't going to happen, or tell me my numbers are wrong (and surprise they weren't), then why would I want to subject myself to more of that?

I have absolutely ZERO issue with @Fairlawncat. He seems like he knows what he is speaking of. I even gave the points based off his message. But just like before, I don't want/need to hear it again. It is what it is.

You guys are missing the point. And no, I am not offended. But I specifically stated that I am not saying who is in the playoffs. And I said it because EVERY week someone said something about it. And then also someone questioning my numbers, after explaining it multiple times.

So all I was saying is that if me doing it isn't helping others (since again, they help me ZERO), then I just won't do it.

I couldn't care less. I have other things I could be doing, but since I know my numbers I figured I would help everyone else out. But if I am going to be told multiple weeks in a row that this or that isn't going to happen, or tell me my numbers are wrong (and surprise they weren't), then why would I want to subject myself to more of that?

I have absolutely ZERO issue with @Fairlawncat. He seems like he knows what he is speaking of. I even gave the points based off his message. But just like before, I don't want/need to hear it again. It is what it is.
we know you aren't saying who s in. That's why I felt the need to clarify the 2D situation. So people can see the points in 2D as well as be made aware of how the schools are determining the playoffs in the region. There's no need to get all worked up, it's just added additional info.

Thanks for the points. Kind of fun that Luray-Page game will have even more on the line.

we know you aren't saying who s in. That's why I felt the need to clarify the 2D situation. So people can see the points in 2D as well as be made aware of how the schools are determining the playoffs in the region. There's no need to get all worked up, it's just added additional info.

Obviously you have not been paying attention the last few weeks when I did this, or just skipped over it. I have said the same thing then, and multiple times I have gotten the same "this team/teams aren't eligible, not playing etc." Even after acknowledged, I STILL get the same thing, I don't need to be told something over and over.

It's all good though, like I said I was just doing it to help the other posters on this board. And yes, I am sure that many do appreciate it. I don't think you 2 don't appreciate it, it's more so that every week it's this or that. More like no good deed goes unpunished.

So I have removed the commentary from Region D. Hopefully you guys are correct on the deal with Region D, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that inaccurate information was given on fan sites. Just reading on here there have been quite a few this year.

But hey, sounds like it frees me up with a little bit of work since there is no need for me to do Region D.

And by all means, if anyone reading wants to take over going forward then have at it (and just to clarify, none of that is directed at any individual)

I wish they would use some type of points system in Region D. With what they are doing, it would be a 3 way tie in the SWD for first place and head to head would be Graham over Tazewell, Tazewell over Richlands and Richlands over Graham. Points aren't being used to determine who makes the playoffs, only district standings. Head to head wouldn't solve a thing. A coin flip would literally decide who sits at home. I'm not a big fan of this and hope it doesn't come down to that. It wouldn't surprise me however, if that is what it boils down to with this whacky season. I appreciate the info for the other regions.

Last edited:

You are exactly correct about how Region D is doing things. Very Whacky set up.

The Region D, particularly the SWD is going to have a real mess on their hands if Richlands somehow pulls off that W over Graham. What's crazy is not 1 but 2 things. My understanding is they draw 3 pieces of paper from a hat with one piece saying SWD home team (hosts Union), SWD away team (travels to Central), and then the piece saying "not in the playoffs". That is crazy, but if they are going to be that weird, just have one piece of paper that says "no playoffs" and then at least let the winner of the two remaining teams be the home team and the loser the away team. For example, if Graham picked a piece of paper that says stay home, then the winner of the Tazewell vs Richlands game should be the home team (Tazewell) and the loser (Richlands) traveling to Central, but in my understanding, they wouldn't even do that. Literally, 3 pieces of paper as described above. If I'm Union, i would want Graham to win and to play at Graham. The Bears have had some serious success at Mitchell Stadium over the years from what I recall. I don't even know if they have ever lost at Mitchell Stadium.

Reactions: 19GHS87
The Region D, particularly the SWD is going to have a real mess on their hands if Richlands somehow pulls off that W over Graham. What's crazy is not 1 but 2 things. My understanding is they draw 3 pieces of paper from a hat with one piece saying SWD home team (hosts Union), SWD away team (travels to Central), and then the piece saying "not in the playoffs". That is crazy, but if they are going to be that weird, just have one piece of paper that says "no playoffs" and then at least let the winner of the two remaining teams be the home team and the loser the away team. For example, if Graham picked a piece of paper that says stay home, then the winner of the Tazewell vs Richlands game should be the home team (Tazewell) and the loser (Richlands) traveling to Central, but in my understanding, they wouldn't even do that. Literally, 3 pieces of paper as described above. If I'm Union, i would want Graham to win and to play at Graham. The Bears have had some serious success at Mitchell Stadium over the years from what I recall. I don't even know if they have ever lost at Mitchell Stadium.
I know they’ve lost one game there. 😁

They haven't, but probably would this year. Way too young/small on the line this year.

And the reason for the hat draw for the SWD is it would be the final tie breaker in a normal season if all other tie breakers were...well, tied.

Think about it. They have the exact same schedule, since week 1 didn't count. Winning percentage, opponents' winning percentages, etc... would all be the same.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
It would be a 3 way tie in the SWD for first place and head to head would be Graham over Tazewell, Tazewell over Richlands and Richlands over Graham. Points aren't being used to determine who makes the playoffs, only district standings. Head to head wouldn't solve a thing. A coin flip would literally decide who sits at home. I'm not a big fan of this and hope it doesn't come down to that. It wouldn't surprise me however, if that is what it boils down to with this whacky season.
It is the dumbest way to decide who makes the playoffs that I have ever heard of. I hope Graham takes care of business this friday and leaves no doubt. After this week's game, I'm sure Graham will not take Richlands lightly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT