ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Ratings

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
Obviously a bunch of games to go tomorrow, so only one that is complete is the one that I usually keep track of Region B.

But I will try and do my best for all the Regions if you guys want me to.

Anyway, I will update after games tomorrow if able.

For now:

Region B

1. Stuarts Draft (3-0): 20.67
2. Strasburg (3-0): 18.67
3. Clarke County (2-0): 18.00
3. Page County (1-0): 18.00
5. Buffalo Gap (2-1): 16.33
6. Luray (1-2): 12.33
7. Staunton (1-2): 11.67
8. East Rockingham (0-4): 9.75
9. Madison County (0-3): 8.00
9. Stonewall (0-3): 8.00

Last edited:
And just some information, it was confirmed that for the State Semis and Finals that they are in predetermined regions, which means that Ratings will not matter or seed.

Region A will host Region B
Region D will host Region C

Championship will be Region A/B winner hosting Region C/D winner

Wow!!!!! They trying to take it back from the West it looks like!

Wow!!!!! They trying to take it back from the West it looks like!

I don't know about all that. It's very possible that A/B has a team that ends up with a higher rating than C/D.

I should clarify what I was agreeing with. I don't think that it should be predetermined that A hosts B and D hosts C and then A/B hosts C/D. In my opinion it should do like it has and be based on ratings. This would then only change 1 game (from the usual Salem).

Heck, I can even understand it being at a host school (because of the circumstances, whether agree or not, it is THE reason why there is change). But I don't understand why it is being set for a certain region.

And before anyone answers it, yes I know that it used to alternate, but since that does not happen now, it seems arbitrary to just pick those regions.

Now, with that said I don't think it was done to benefit or to be detrimental to any area, I know that I wouldn't want their job though. And it is certainly better than the alternative of these kids not having the opportunity to play at all.

Reactions: oldfool2 and Bo Bob
Agreed. Just seems funny to “ preset” where the game will be played ie: East will host.

Agreed. Just seems funny to “ preset” where the game will be played ie: East will host.

I don't agree with that, but if they predetermined that SOMEONE/A Region was going to do it, then it just comes down to picking. So even though Semifinals (if SD made it) doesn't benefit my interest, I don't have an issue with that.

Basically, I don't have an issue with the result (B@A and D@C then C/D@A/B), I have an issue (not an issue, just the part I don't agree with) of it being anywhere NOW. I would feel the same way if it were A@B D@C and even C/D@A/B, even though that would benefit me if my team made it that far.

If it were B at A and then A/B at C/D, I would be disappointed but I certainly don't think that would be something done on purpose.

Reactions: Bo Bob
why not have state at Salem? State needs to stay at a neutral site.

why not have state at Salem? State needs to stay at a neutral site.

I don't make the decisions, I am guessing that the reason is to minimize exposure, and you also have the case of the cost of the events. The VHSL does have to pay for the use of the fields (Salem, Liberty, I believe it was William and Mary most recently). And when there are restrictions for attendance and sanitizing it becomes clearer.

If that is the case, then you have 6 teams out of the way. I know it's not ideal, but again way better than the alternative.

And by the way, the B at A and C at D and subsequently C/D at A/B isn't just for 2a. That is the setup for all 6 classes

I don't make the decisions, I am guessing that the reason is to minimize exposure, and you also have the case of the cost of the events. The VHSL does have to pay for the use of the fields (Salem, Liberty, I believe it was William and Mary most recently). And when there are restrictions for attendance and sanitizing it becomes clearer.

If that is the case, then you have 6 teams out of the way. I know it's not ideal, but again way better than the alternative.

And by the way, the B at A and C at D and subsequently C/D at A/B isn't just for 2a. That is the setup for all 6 classes
Dont know if its true or not but heard Salem said no to the state championship being played there.

I realize thats the way it is, but i dont agree with it. I'm sure the cost of playing an event varies from school to school therefore no two schools in 2A have the same expense nor would i say that Salem is higher or lower than the others. As for exposure, do you really think the difference in location is a real difference to exposure? We will never know the reason or the reasoning behind the VHSL's decision.

I realize thats the way it is, but i dont agree with it. I'm sure the cost of playing an event varies from school to school therefore no two schools in 2A have the same expense nor would i say that Salem is higher or lower than the others. As for exposure, do you really think the difference in location is a real difference to exposure? We will never know the reason or the reasoning behind the VHSL's decision.

No, I don't think that a physical location determines exposure. That isn't what I am saying at all. But when you add 2 teams (much less the 4 teams usually), which them adds more fans coming and going, plus event staff, that is something that they would take into account.

And Salems stadium isn't owned by the school, so the costs are certainly more expensive than say Appomattox or Stuarts Draft.

I get that VHSL is easy to blame, and I may not agree with some of their decisions, but they also have to shell out big expenses for these events. And just like it's said in the reverse at times, football is the big money maker. So even cut out the expenses of football championships as a gain or break even, they don't get facilities for free for other non money making sports. And when you cut the attendance by probably 90%, everyone is going to struggle. And I believe they even helped schools with the transition to streaming, which I am sure isn't cheap.And while some may only want to think about the here and now and how to make it special for their school/team/kids, they don't have that luxury.

Reactions: oldfool2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT