ADVERTISEMENT

Please - no more local refs at Radford in States Soccer

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
I debated telling this story but after the Rapp loss (and biased refereeing against them) all the memories came flooding back. I told a bit of the story the other day but felt it veered off message and I was not on my computer so harder to write.

I say this not to complain about the past but in an attempt to help my fellow Neck and Tidewater teams get a fairly called game in FUTURE state games. I have been saying something just ain't right for over decade. After the Rapp game, I guess everyone believes me now...

I am officially retired from coaching on the sidelines now. I can assure you I have nothing but respect for the referees and the hard challenging work that they have to do. I am friends with many referees.

I am amazed that referees will on on occasion come up to me and talk about the past games - I have had refs recognize me and apologize for things that happened 8 years ago. "I appreciate that, man. It means a lot, even now."

I did not post about this story five years ago as I knew people would not believe it and assume I was just a sore loser. Well, the time has come.

Last edited:
Radford - 2014 - States Boys Soccer

Essex v Radford

While my team was warming up on an adjacent field, I decided to go see what was going with my opponent. They were chilling under some trees when a group of new referees arrived to hang out with them. I was oh shit - yes their own local crew, some of who were former Radford players, their club coaches, etc. (oh, don't you worry, I had my suspicions confirmed by some officials during game time).

Proir to start of the game, I respectfully approached three VHSL representatives (who were at time hanging with some the Radford folks). I expressed my concerns "Please do NOT allow Raford's local crew to ref this game. That is not right and not fair."

They treated me with a condescending attitude and completely ignored me. I guess that they thought I was just some dumb redneck - well, I might be a redneck, but a highly educated one.

The game begins.

Last edited:
During the game, Essex was called for 18 fouls. Some were legit - a few of them no Essex player was within 5 yards of the ball.

Essex was fouled hard over 20 times during the match. One was called, They doubled teamed our star striker and sometimes brutally beat him and hacked him all game. No calls.

Half of our obvious throw ins were given to the other team.

The center ref (he was the main culprit) would not give us several obvious corner kicks. He even overruled his young side ref a few times. (that nice young man ran beside me after game and said "I am so sorry... that was not...right" and put his head down ran off.

Last edited:
During several promising Essex attacks, the center ref would blow the whistle and give the ball and a free kick to Radford. No explanation. No reasoning.

I said several times to to the sub ref near us - what the ------ is happening? He just responded nothing I can do, man. I asked Help me, this is wrong-- he said again nothing I can do....

Despite this, Essex got off 7 shots on goal. Radford 0.

Radford U Stats I am using (thanks to whoever slipped them to me and said you might want to see these).

Oh, unless you include a magical PK that the center ref gave Radford in the 2nd half. No one had possession of the ball - the ball was kicked sideways through the top half of the box - no one got it until an Essex kid kicked up the field.

Essex had the ball and was already at the half way line on a counter- the whistle blows and that corrupt center ref brought everyone back and gave them a PK.

Essex had a goalie, DJ Ashlock, that year who had 12 shutouts - had allowed 8 goals in 20 games.

As you can imagine, I was barely holding it in...then the center ref again would not give us our throw in where the Radford player kicked it out right in front of me.

My assistants tried to stop me but I said I cannot let this go...if we are going to go down, we are gonna go down swinging to the end. With about 15 min left, I headed straight to the 3 VHSL representatives, refs who were close and that head coach.

Last edited:
I approached the 3 VHSL representatives, the side ref, and the Radford Head Coach.

I said how could you cheat my kids like this, we have worked our __ off for over decade to win this thing. You ---- ----- are a disgrace to all of sports, If I am wrong about these refs then I want you to me a ------ red card right ------ now and throw me the ----- out of this game you ----- ------, do it now, ----- you and ----- you too,and --- you as well, if am wrong then throw me the ---- out, ------ you ------- ------ pieces of ------ ------- ----- - I said all this all at least 5 times to each of the faces.

Nothing.

I calmly said "That is what I thought" and walked back to my team to cheer them on until the end.

Oh, I did say to that Radford coach "Hall of Fame coach my a---, you are a disgrace to the game and you should be stripped of all your titles you won only because you were at home , get the ---- out of my face. He was shaking, I think he peed in his pants - he said "you can't say that, I earned all those, I am calling the police on you.' I said you would do that you ---- coward.

Hugged the boys who were crying ---- we went down swinging to the end.

13 years - My last game with Essex Soccer.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastspartan
Most SWVA ref crews have zero love for Radford High. I am sorry this happened and feel that Region and State should be more neutral crews.

Reactions: uvacavs1
You talking about the Radford coach who looked like a duck? Ha

lol - that is the one - funny you said that - I may have mentioned something about that in my tirade.....

My top assistant said a few min later "I bet that bastard will never forget you" - I said "I hope not, that was the plan." ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: eastspartan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT