ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast: Episode 001 - Recapping 2014

VaPrepsRod

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
In this podcast, I introduce a new plan for VirginiaPreps.com podcasting for the coming year, I talk about my memories from the 2014 season and I finish up with a story about how I failed to use my GPS system correctly.

Duration (30:42)

Podcast episode 001

Of the games I went to in 2014:

Best game: Ocean Lakes over Centreville in OT for the state championship. Cville scoring on two long touchdowns after being down 10-24 in the second half really made the game worth going to. Runner ups: Centreville close win over Westfield in the state semi-finals, Hylton's come from behind win over Battlefield during the regular season.

Best venue: UVA Scott Stadium

Best pre-game hype before kickoff: Oscar Smith v. Booker T. Miami, Ocean Lakes v. Oscar Smith

Biggest crowd: Oscar Smith / Ocean Lakes @ Sportsplex VB

Best band: Freedom HS, Oscar Smith HS

Best stadium music: Patriot High School

Funnest drive: Going through the heavily wooded twisty turns of Clifton, VA on a nice fall day to get to Centreville High School

Most entertaining performances by a single player: Ricky Slade scoring eight touchdowns vs. Patriot; Eric Crosby bulldozing through Oscar Smith's defense

Biggest upset: James River over Hylton in the first round of the playoffs.

Most physical game: Ocean Lakes v. Oscar Smith

Best coming out theme song: Theme song used in John Carpenter's movie Halloween, on Halloween night 10/31/14 Hylton HS

Best Food: Sportsplex VB

This post was edited on 1/5 1:56 AM by GurskyT

Re: Donovan Williams

Would have to agree that Williams may be a bit on the underrated side. He has a lot of great attributes - patient in the pocket, strong & accurate arm, great vision, good size, physical during contact and good speed in the open field. Accurate when rolling out and throwing on the run too. You could tell he definitely got better as the season went on. Most impressive I thought was that despite being a 1000+ yard passer on the year, he went the first seven games without throwing an interception (only 3 picks on the year). Slade got a lot of attention with the impact he made as a freshman but Williams was very consistent directing the offense all year. Hylton graduates most of their line so it will be interesting to see how they will do with some new guys blocking up front for them next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT