ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast: Episode 001 - Recapping 2014

VaPrepsRod

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
In this podcast, I introduce a new plan for VirginiaPreps.com podcasting for the coming year, I talk about my memories from the 2014 season and I finish up with a story about how I failed to use my GPS system correctly.

Duration (30:42)

Podcast episode 001

Have you ever been to a big game at Salem Stadium? I do realize that a Salem game would be a five hour drive for you but the state doesn't end in Richmond.

Originally posted by southbottomU:
Have you ever been to a big game at Salem Stadium? I do realize that a Salem game would be a five hour drive for you but the state doesn't end in Richmond.
Are you genuinely curious or did you just want to get that snarky insult in there?

Didn't mean it as an insult at all---no snarkiness meant-------have you ever been to a big game at Salem?

Didn't mean it as an insult at all---no snarkiness meant-------have you ever been to a big game at Salem?
I have not yet been.

I actually had the trip planned twice this year -- Northside and Liberty games -- but things came up at home that prevented both trips.

It is high on my priority list for 2015 assuming that the schedule allows.

I believe Salem plays Amherst at home this year-----that would probably be early in the year. Later in the year Salem plays Pulaski at home and they should be pretty good next year. I think you will enjoy your trip. Will tell you the best restaurants and places to stay. I know it will be a long trip for you but I think you will find it will be worth it as long as the weather cooperates. It will also help with your street cred in sw va.

I believe Salem plays Amherst at home this year-----that would probably be early in the year. Later in the year Salem plays Pulaski at home and they should be pretty good next year. I think you will enjoy your trip. Will tell you the best restaurants and places to stay. I know it will be a long trip for you but I think you will find it will be worth it as long as the weather cooperates. It will also help with your street cred in sw va.
Thanks, I'll be looking into some trips west once the full schedule comes out and will hit you up for some places for local fare.

Given my resume, if I still need to up my "street cred", that's on the people who have doubts, not me.

Your street cred exist Richmond east. Not down this way. But I am sure that is our fault. Not trying to be snarky. Just honest.

Your street cred exist Richmond east. Not down this way. But I am sure that is our fault. Not trying to be snarky. Just honest.
It's no one's "fault", per se, but if someone thinks I lack street cred, then they don't know enough about me and the behind-the-scenes work that I do.

I've got the cred with the people that I need it with, the coaches.

Me and my staff had five of the six state champions (Ocean Lakes, Bird, Lake Taylor, Magna Vista and Altavista) ranked in the top three in their classification in our PRESEASON rankings. Three of them were tabbed as the #1 team.

If you aren't given credit and respect for that, a five-hour drive ain't going to make a difference.

Additionally, since you don't have a subscription, you're not seeing 90% of the work that i do, so your qualifications regarding my street cred are suspect.

Just being honest.

This post was edited on 12/28 8:37 PM by VaPrepsRod

you-serious-bro.jpg

I was referring to your podcast----You did a great job listing the best games and venues that you went to. I happened to notice that while admirably extensive they did not include Salem or any other SW Va. teams. I did see where you took a trip to the Valley and had a good time and saw a good game---that's great ---the Valley has a proud athletic history. The Street Cred comment was simply a way of saying that if SW Virginia schools had been visited this year or any other it would make SW Virginia football fans feel included. As it was the podcast was about NOVA, Tidewater, Richmond, and a wonderful side trip to Wilson Memorial.

I was referring to your podcast----You did a great job listing the best games and venues that you went to. I happened to notice that while admirably extensive they did not include Salem or any other SW Va. teams. I did see where you took a trip to the Valley and had a good time and saw a good game---that's great ---the Valley has a proud athletic history. The Street Cred comment was simply a way of saying that if SW Virginia schools had been visited this year or any other it would make SW Virginia football fans feel included. As it was the podcast was about NOVA, Tidewater, Richmond, and a wonderful side trip to Wilson Memorial.
So, we start a brand new venture in the hopes of bringing more in-depth coverage of the state to the fans, FOR FREE, during which I announce that I plan on talking to coaches and people from throughout the entire state and your only reaction to it is to dump on the FIRST episode and take shots at my credibility because it wasn't about YOUR part of the state?

Can't wait to record future episodes given this reaction.

Thanks.

I personally have talked to Rod a lot this football season, and I know for a fact he was going to come out west a couple of times to see games, but they fell through. Just gotta find something to complain about? But this is coming from the #1 pariah in the world (A coach that posts on a message board)

This post was edited on 12/29 9:55 AM by DEVILSLB99

My only bone of contention was not that it wasn't about SW Virginia but that you had not visited any of the big games in SW Virginia. I realize that it is a long trip for you but a podcast entitled Recapping 2014 without a visit to any of the games in SW Virginia seems incomplete. It is a small point---not meant to lessen the entire podcast or your work at Virginiapreps.

My only bone of contention was not that it wasn't about SW Virginia but that you had not visited any of the big games in SW Virginia. I realize that it is a long trip for you but a podcast entitled Recapping 2014 without a visit to any of the games in SW Virginia seems incomplete. It is a small point---not meant to lessen the entire podcast or your work at Virginiapreps.
I admire your commitment to problem-finding.

I truly in my heart believed that the podcast idea would be met with open minds and open arms.

Took less than six hours to make me realize my mistake.

My enthusiasm for driving five hours to cover one of your team's game has been reduced by about 300%. I can't imagine how many problems that you'd have with that article.

Apparently my point was not appreciated in the spirit it was made. That sometimes happens with interpreting a conversation done by emails or message boards. I wish you continued success in the new year covering high school sports. Happy new Year.

Originally posted by VaPrepsRod:
I admire your commitment to problem-finding.

I truly in my heart believed that the podcast idea would be met with open minds and open arms.

Took less than six hours to make me realize my mistake.

My enthusiasm for driving five hours to cover one of your team's game has been reduced by about 300%. I can't imagine how many problems that you'd have with that article.
I appreciate the idea of the podcast, Rod, keep it coming.

Rod, I finally had time to listen, uninterrupted, to your podcast. I very much enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it was a first person account of what YOU saw.

For me, who see's Dinwwiddie first, and fills in with a couple of other games, it is nice to hear about games and venues that I can not take in.

In spite of some of the rhetoric, I do highly recommend catching a game at Salem. I made the Northside game there and had a tremendously good experience. Great parking. Wonderful folks at the gate, etc. Friendly fans all around. It didn't hurt that I sat directly behind Coulling's grandparents, totally by chance. Had a great time carrying on with them.

I sat in the heart of the Magna Vista fans at Lynchburg. What a wonderful crowd. I doubtt that I will catch a game at the "Hole" next year, but I do plan to get out there to a game one day. Just gunuine, down to earth, good people. I made a very small donation to a lady that helps feed the team during the year. (They struggle for funds like every other booster organization). Darn if Coach Favero didn't take the time to send me a nice note. You know how busy he was that next week, and to take time to do that speaks volumes.

I Agee. It was a great season of football. I'm impressed, 35 games in one season. I know that this is your "job", but man?!?

Again, good job. I'm looking forward to interviews with coaches. Thanks. DP

Thanks,

I appreciate the kind words. Coach Mills is high on my priority list for a podcast, so you have that coming sometime this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT