ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast: Episode 002 - Transferring and Reclassifying

VaPrepsRod

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
In this podcast, I talk about two intertwined hot button topics -- transferring and reclassifying -- as a recent change in the rules for the TCIS conference may have a ripple effect across the state of Virginia in both football and basketball. Then I finish up with an aggravation that I suffer at the gas pumps even though the prices have fallen.

Referenced within this podcast is the following article written by Larry Rubama from The Virginian-Pilot linked here...

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/01/transfers-tcis-schools-now-come-catch

Podcast: Episode 002 - Transferring and Reclassify

One comment I always see is that "certain schools" always win, and all the best athletes can't possibly always live in the same area of the city.

One comment I'll make is that the casual fan makes a mistake when they dismiss coaching and support for the sport around the school as big factors for why schools consistently win. Coaching means a lot. Some coaches win no matter what they've got and then win state championships when they have above average talent. Also, being in a community where people do things for your football program makes a gigantic difference. I was at a school like that once. Most of the schools I've been at since then the community's interaction with the team has primarily been to yell, "You stink!" from the stands. Well, half of the 14 people that are actually watching the game.

When a "good" athlete transfers, 99% of the time it's for athletic reasons. That is wrong at the high school level.

Transferring (from private to private, or public to private) and Reclassifying doesn't bother me too much so long as it is something that remains in the private schools. If the public and private schools were to start competing against each other for championships I would feel differently.

I wonder if the other conferences will start getting the kids interested in transferring now that TCIS has made changes or if the other conferences will follow TCIS lead and put in the same types of rule changes.

I think in North Carolina that if you do not live within the school's boundaries, you are not allowed to play any sports at that school, ever. In Virginia, I think you have to wait one year unless you are a freshman. Freshman are immediately eligible to play.

It should be that way in every state. If you not live in school zone, YOU DO NOT PLAY. No exceptions.

Parents will always seek out what's best for their child, or what they perceive is the best circumstance... Puts an awful lot of pressure on the young person...

With probably 75% of transfers of top athletes, it isn't the parent's guiding the transfer. It's a rogue AAU coach, street agent, or outright recruitment by the gaining school.

These transfers are not result of a family move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT