ADVERTISEMENT

Power Points

VAHSFootballFan

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 8, 2017
In calculating points I saw something from 2015 that said if a lower classification plays a higher classification the higher team receives 2 points if it is a district game but only one point if it is a non-district game. This was a copy and paste from the VHSL website. I found something more recent in a newspaper article that doesn't mention this difference. Is it still 2 for district and only one for non-district or is it 2 points for both?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES 68-4-4 Determining Championships

-The League declares football champions in each classification at the district level and has provisions for single division champions at the regional and state levels. District champions are determined on the basis of their won-and-lost records, as prescribed in this Handbook and by each school’s compliance with all provisions in this section. 68-4-5 To decide which teams will play for the sectional championships and which teams will enter the state championship play-off series, an approved Rating Scale has been developed for rating each team so that the top-rated teams will meet for each championship. The Rating Scale serves the further purpose of encouraging schools to play strong schedules so that they may achieve higher rating scores. 68-4-6 Rating Scale-To find the rating of a team, total the number of points it has earned in accordance with the following table and divide that total number by the number of games played.

Note: The VHSL shall apply a 2.0 multiplier, for classification purposes, to any Virginia non-public school that serves students of one gender (e.g., an all-boys high school).

Other multipliers are defined in 10-1-4 (a), (b) and (c).

6A 5A 4A 3A 2A 1A For winning from 26 24 22 20 18 16

For losing from 14 12 10 8 6 4 *Two (2) bonus points per classification

For each game won by a defeated opponent** in ANY classification 2 2 2 2 2 2 For each game won by a non-defeated 1 1 1 1 1 1 opponent** in ANY classification *Bonus points award to higher classification teams playing lower classification teams

**VHSL rating scale recognized opponents 68-4-6 (1) To calculate ties in football games with out-of-state teams (when the games are played out-of-state) and rider points for out-of-state games ending in a tie. 6A 5A 4A 3A 2A 1A For tying 20 18 16 14 12 10 For each game won by the 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 tied opponent For each game lost by the 1 1 1 1 1

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I'm still slightly confused...how many points does a win get you? How many points does a win in the district give you, or a win against an opponent in a division above you?

Depends on class of school. 26 points for beating a 6, 24 for a 5, etc.
14 for losing to a 6, 12 for a 5, etc.
Additionally you get 2 bonus points per classification you play down. Looks like it doesn't matter if it is district or not.
Finally you get 2 points for each win your defeated opponent has and 1 point for each win teams have that beat you.
Then divide all that by the number of games you played and you get your Power Points.
I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, can someone correct/clarify?

Depends on class of school. 26 points for beating a 6, 24 for a 5, etc.
14 for losing to a 6, 12 for a 5, etc.
Additionally you get 2 bonus points per classification you play down. Looks like it doesn't matter if it is district or not.
Finally you get 2 points for each win your defeated opponent has and 1 point for each win teams have that beat you.
Then divide all that by the number of games you played and you get your Power Points.
I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, can someone correct/clarify?

Welcome to the board! It sounds right to me...but we'll need an expert on this like DP, Bleeding Navy or DSH.

Welcome to the board! It sounds right to me...but we'll need an expert on this like DP, Bleeding Navy or DSH.

Correct. I'll use my school as an example. Stuart's Draft gets 20 points for beating Waynesboro and Fort Defiance respectively. If Waynesboro ends with 5 wins and Fort Defiance 0 then Stuarts Draft gets 30 from Waynesboro and 20 from Fort Defiance. Just for the sake of the thread, Stuarts Draft beats Riverheads tonight (And Riverheads wins the rest of their games) then Stuarts Draft gets 16 for the win, plus 18 for each of Riverheads wins, plus 2 bonus points, for a total of 36 points. Conversely, if they lose to Riverheads they get 4 for the loss with 10 points for each of Riverheads wins plus the 2 points for playing "down" for a total of 16 points.

Hope that explains it well

VAHSFan, welcome to our forum and glad to have you aboard.

Don't be frustrated when you try to wrap your head around the points system. We have been debating, discussing, and calculating for years. And just when you think you have it mastered, you realize that you don't. And then when the math errors that we all make are thrown into the mix..., well, you just pull out your hair and starting crying uncontrollably.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT