ADVERTISEMENT

Powhatan Coach Jim Woodson Retiring After Season

No, he has been at the school with the exception of four years in college for 44 years including his years as a player there. His wife retired a few years ago from Powhatan County schools as well and around the same time he gave up the AD position so it was only a matter of time until he retired. The move to the Dominion did not play a role just a realization that family is more important and after 40 years it was time to let someone else have a go.

No, he has been at the school with the exception of four years in college for 44 years including his years as a player there. His wife retired a few years ago from Powhatan County schools as well and around the same time he gave up the AD position so it was only a matter of time until he retired. The move to the Dominion did not play a role just a realization that family is more important and after 40 years it was time to let someone else have a go.

Any idea who will replace him? Not positive but doesn't he have a son on his staff? Will they keep it in the family?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Any idea who will replace him? Not positive but doesn't he have a son on his staff? Will they keep it in the family?
Not sure I would recommend that if it's being considered. Is there an example of that type of thing ever working (son follows the dad as head football coach)?

Not sure I would recommend that if it's being considered. Is there an example of that type of thing ever working (son follows the dad as head football coach)?

I can't recall any in football. Thompson's of Georgetown Bball and I believe Hurley's in NJ HS Bball are the only two that I can think of.

You got the Colonial Forge father son take over thing going. It failed for them at a previous school before this I believe as well

You got the Colonial Forge father son take over thing going. It failed for them at a previous school before this I believe as well
Failed for the Brown's? I think this is the son's 2nd head coaching gig. He coached at Freedom (Woodbridge) the first couple years it was open. Dad was a great coach at every stop.

Failed for the Brown's? I think this is the son's 2nd head coaching gig. He coached at Freedom (Woodbridge) the first couple years it was open. Dad was a great coach at every stop.
His son hasn’t been that great when being the head coach though

Neither of his two sons coached football at Powhatan and only one played for him. I fully expect an outside hire to be made but do not have a timetable. I can think of three coaches off the top of my head who would be very interested in the job and would be a great fit for the program (two are coaching currently at other schools). However, I will not name the coaches out of respect for their current programs.

Neither of his two sons coached football at Powhatan and only one played for him. I fully expect an outside hire to be made but do not have a timetable. I can think of three coaches off the top of my head who would be very interested in the job and would be a great fit for the program (two are coaching currently at other schools). However, I will not name the coaches out of respect for their current programs.
And the 3rd one is currently an AD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT