ADVERTISEMENT

Powhatan might be moving to the Dominion District at the right time

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
Powhatan's JV pounded Louisa today 27-6, and had the tools of their better varsity teams of yesteryear. They have all the pieces to be good for the foreseeable future: an accurate and pretty fast dual threat QB, big and physical O line, hard-nosed runners, threatening receivers, and a stout, disciplined defense that hit hard. I was impressed. Things finally look good for the Indians again. Folks will say JV success doesn't always translate to varsity, but I know what I saw. The Dominion being down helps as well. Hopefully they stay healthy, which has been their Achilles heel the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
My team is not from Class 4, but I played in the Dominion and my son does as well. I would really like for you to justify your statement about the Dominion being down. With the exception of George Wythe and James River everybody in the district has a shot at the playoffs. Powhatan cannot even compete in the sorry Jefferson District. Really? Lol

I'm not saying they'll compete for the top of the district, but they can be in the middle and be competitive, won't be a bottom feeder. They have potential to be better than most of their JD teams since 2011. They blow out Midlothian most years, except last year and this year. I consider everyone in the Dominion except Manchester and Monacan to be down right now. Bird isn't close to the level of their good teams. Monacan and Manchester will look like new teams next year. Powhatan will be one of the most well coached teams in the district too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
I'm not saying they'll compete for the top of the district, but they can be in the middle and be competitive, won't be a bottom feeder. They have potential to be better than most of their JD teams since 2011. They blow out Midlothian most years, except last year and this year. I consider everyone in the Dominion except Manchester and Monacan to be down right now. Bird isn't close to the level of their good teams. Monacan and Manchester will look like new teams next year. Powhatan will be one of the most well coached teams in the district too.
I would disagree and say they will be closer to the bottom than the top of that district

I feel like your off base on this one. Powhatan has had a few abysmal seasons and is doing ok this year in a mega week Jefferson district. I agree Powhatan this season is decent. They did win a close one with Midlo which surprised me a bit. If you are to tell me that the Dominion is down my response would be compared to what?

I can tell you Midlo is capable of giving a good team a loss. Huguenot has tons of athletes as I watched them last night. JR just can’t avoid disaster plays but they have a few players. Clover Hill and Cosby are solid 5-6 win football teams. Manchester this year... maybe the best team talent wise the Dominion has ever seen. Bird will still beat 90% of teams in the state. Monacan has an elite passing game. The Dominion has 2 undefeateds and 2 one loss teams.

Maybe the southeastern district is stronger??? With OS, IR, KF, NR, DC?? Maybe a Nova district? But who else? I don’t even think the Capital district is stronger anymore.

Reactions: LancerDad
I would disagree and say they will be closer to the bottom than the top of that district
Well you're saying that without having seen what I saw yesterday. My point is Powhatan's cupboard is getting a little more filled again. Their success in the JD doesn't matter, as the kids I saw yesterday aren't going to play in the JD on varsity. Also, and I know it's preseason, but Cosby gets dominated by Albemarle every year, which Powhatan competes with and has beaten, so it's not like the middle of the pack Dominion teams are world beaters or anything.

I feel like your off base on this one. Powhatan has had a few abysmal seasons and is doing ok this year in a mega week Jefferson district. I agree Powhatan this season is decent. They did win a close one with Midlo which surprised me a bit. If you are to tell me that the Dominion is down my response would be compared to what?

I can tell you Midlo is capable of giving a good team a loss. Huguenot has tons of athletes as I watched them last night. JR just can’t avoid disaster plays but they have a few players. Clover Hill and Cosby are solid 5-6 win football teams. Manchester this year... maybe the best team talent wise the Dominion has ever seen. Bird will still beat 90% of teams in the state. Monacan has an elite passing game. The Dominion has 2 undefeateds and 2 one loss teams.

Maybe the southeastern district is stronger??? With OS, IR, KF, NR, DC?? Maybe a Nova district? But who else? I don’t even think the Capital district is stronger anymore.
I'm not talking about this year's Powhatan VARSITY team at all in this thread, except for the one comment about beating Midlothian. I'm just predicting that their upcoming talent I saw yesterday will be able to compete with the middle of the Dominion sooner rather than later.

Midlo is always capable, but do they ever upset anyone?

I'm not talking about this year's Powhatan VARSITY team at all in this thread, except for the one comment about beating Midlothian. I'm just predicting that their upcoming talent I saw yesterday will be able to compete with the middle of the Dominion sooner rather than later.

Midlo is always capable, but do they ever upset anyone?

If you are just saying they can compete with the middle of the pack in the Dominion I would agree with that but I don’t think that is that big of a decleration

Well you're saying that without having seen what I saw yesterday. My point is Powhatan's cupboard is getting a little more filled again. Their success in the JD doesn't matter, as the kids I saw yesterday aren't going to play in the JD on varsity. Also, and I know it's preseason, but Cosby gets dominated by Albemarle every year, which Powhatan competes with and has beaten, so it's not like the middle of the pack Dominion teams are world beaters or anything.
I hear ya. I'm gonna guess that some/most of their best JV players are getting some playing time now at the varsity level. No?

@86CulpGrad no, they're not. I was wondering why the JV QB isn't on varsity, unless he's an 8th grader. I didn't see any of those kids on varsity film. They even lined up in an I formation with a good running fullback, which they hardly ever do on varsity (which is mostly always singleback).

Last edited:
@anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b you have made a few valid points, but you have avoided the question. How is the dominion down? It seems as if you are saying, because Powhatans JV beat Louisa's JV (???????) soundly they can compete in the Dominion next year. Powhatan is 28-18 since realignment and has not won a playoff game since 2011. All this while playing in an inferior district. Good coaching???? Now you think they gonna walk in and bust tail in the Dominion. Naw player, Im not buying it. Got to give credit where its due. Although self serving for your Lions you are a propaganda machine for the Jefferson and Battlefield Districts.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
@LancerDad I said above that Bird isn't close to the same as their good teams. Do you disagree? Teams like Cosby and James River impress you? I think both of those teams have seen better days. I went to see James River play at Chancellor a couple of years ago, and thought James River was just BAD, and they seem to be even worse now.

Even through these down years, Powhatan's coaching and player discipline makes the better teams play badly more often than not, and officiating against them doesn't help either. I always joke with my friends that they're a bootleg Salem, because of that. So you combine that with an actual core of talent coming up, and we'll see what happens.

@LancerDad I said above that Bird isn't close to the same as their good teams. Do you disagree? Teams like Cosby and James River impress you? I think both of those teams have seen better days. I went to see James River play at Chancellor a couple of years ago, and thought James River was just BAD, and they seem to be even worse now.

Even through these down years, Powhatan's coaching and player discipline makes the better teams play badly more often than not, and officiating against them doesn't help either. I always joke with my friends that they're a bootleg Salem, because of that. So you combine that with an actual core of talent coming up, and we'll see what happens.
I would take Bird by 4 scores over Powhatan

Although self serving for your Lions you are a propaganda machine for the Jefferson and Battlefield Districts.
I beg to differ, I think both districts are bad, dominated by 1 good team with average to mediocre teams below. It's just that no one really talks actual football on here anymore, so I just try to get good discussions going. It worked in that Sherando thread and the Region 4B thread.

It aint worth haten over! Your talking about next year anyway. If Powhatan really thought they could compete in the Dominion they would have joined years ago. They had to be forced! I generally like your threads and find you fairly fan knowledgeable. Unfortunately you make people believe you know RVA football. Be honest with yourself and others, you really don't have a clue. I appreciate your occasional opinion but I respecfully ask you to leave the real break downs to the guys who live and breath rva football.

@LancerDad okay, so how about you get more of those guys on here to discuss actual RVA football then? Not just parents that appear a couple times and disappear when their kid's gone either. Real fans. Drop more actual knowledge and stick around. The 5A and 6A boards are the quietest they've ever been. And I've seen my share of RVA games live in person over the years, the most notable being the Bird @ Hermitage playoff game of 2014. Because when I think of RVA football nowadays, it's undisciplined football that has been dominated by two teams over the last 6 years. I end up entertained by the RVA fans more than the actual games.

Last edited:
Dont be haten! I cant make people post. You kept repeating that the board was dry, so I joined up to challenge some of your points. Its all good. I can go away like everybody else who used to post. He gone!

No one's hating man, and I'm serious about you not leaving. I've seen state title games live in person every year over the last 13 years, over multiple classes, starting with 2005 Salem/Powhatan, and saw Springs/Stone Bridge and Smith/Westfield two years ago, so I feel I know what great and disciplined teams look like by now and can give real opinions as well as any fan on here.

Also, hoos and I are the only ones on here who ever defend the Jefferson district lol. I know it's majorly down this season but it gets really downgraded on here, especially during football season. Nothing wrong with that, seeing how other than Louisa's state championship appearance last year the JD has not done historically well in the playoffs. We're just here to try and defend our District.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
Monticello has only been open since 1998 and has two state titles and three appearances, Powhatan has a 2003 title and lost to Salem in 2005, Western Albemarle made the state semi a few years ago, Louisa has their two appearances and ran into a behemoth in 2006, so there's still some history here. If Goochland were still in the JD you can mention their state titles. Orange had a historical team in 2005 with Bradley Starks and missed the playoffs at 8-2. So you can honestly say the JD has done better than the Battlefield and many other districts over the last 20 years, but it doesn't change the fact it's really down right now.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
People forget that Powhatan has 1996 and 2003 state titles and a 2005 runner up, all under the same head coach they still have now. Coach Woodson has shown over and over that he can do a great job coaching against more talented teams and making them look average. They gave Salem a big scare in 2005, and a much more talented Briar Woods a decent scare in 2011. From what I saw from JV last week, and a finally healthy varsity on Friday, they are on the upswing as long as they stay healthy. I was impressed with how big, physical and disciplined they played, they looked much closer to the older Powhatan teams, and the JV kids have the potential to be waaaay better than their varsity currently is. The varsity has a good sophomore wide receiver as well. DSH told me before kickoff that we'd beat Powhatan by 70, well he changed his tune real quick once the ball was snapped.

Last edited:
People forget that Powhatan has 1996 and 2003 state titles and a 2005 runner up, all under the same head coach they still have now. Coach Woodson has shown over and over that he can do a great job coaching against more talented teams and making them look average. They gave Salem a big scare in 2005, and a much more talented Briar Woods a decent scare in 2011. From what I saw from JV last week, and a finally healthy varsity on Friday, they are on the upswing as long as they stay healthy. I was impressed with how big, physical and disciplined they played, they looked much closer to the older Powhatan teams, and the JV kids have the potential to be waaaay better than their varsity currently is. The varsity has a good sophomore wide receiver as well. DSH told me before kickoff that we'd beat Powhatan by 70, well he changed his tune real quick once the ball was snapped.

Thanks for the shout out to Powhatan Football. The guys have been working hard and although moving to a new district will present it's challenges I believe we are up for the task.

It aint worth haten over! Your talking about next year anyway. If Powhatan really thought they could compete in the Dominion they would have joined years ago. They had to be forced! I generally like your threads and find you fairly fan knowledgeable. Unfortunately you make people believe you know RVA football. Be honest with yourself and others, you really don't have a clue. I appreciate your occasional opinion but I respecfully ask you to leave the real break downs to the guys who live and breath rva football.

Please explain how Powhatan was forced to join the dominion.

VHSL realignment sir. I heard chatter that the Powhatan administration was not in favor of this move. If am wrong I stand corrected. History tells me my sources were correct.

I sort of doubt they would’ve been forced to move if the administration was against it, have actually read the opposite some time ago. Schools typically are not forced to move to districts with larger class schools.

I sort of doubt they would’ve been forced to move if the administration was against it, have actually read the opposite some time ago. Schools typically are not forced to move to districts with larger class schools.

Why would they not want to be in the Dominion? Why would they want to travel an hour for every game for every sport? Why would they want that?

Why would they not want to be in the Dominion? Why would they want to travel an hour for every game for every sport? Why would they want that?
1. It’s a tougher district compared to the Jefferson
2. They’d rather travel to have a better chance to win compared to the Dominion

1. It’s a tougher district compared to the Jefferson
2. They’d rather travel to have a better chance to win compared to the Dominion

OC - I can see that point, but we are thinking about just Football and Basketball. You mean to tell me the Powhatan's field hockey team wants to travel to Charlottesville for a Tuesday afternoon game? Hard to believe. I agree that it makes more sense in football, but Powhatan will probably move to 5A soon with the rapid expansion of western Chesterfield and eastern Powhatan. Even if they are at the bottom of the Dominion at first it won't be long until they are competitive. Midlo is like 10 minutes down the road so travel will be way better for them. It does make sense that they join the Dominion, I just hate having only 1 OOD game!

Reactions: RVA804 and OCBoy
OC - I can see that point, but we are thinking about just Football and Basketball. You mean to tell me the Powhatan's field hockey team wants to travel to Charlottesville for a Tuesday afternoon game? Hard to believe. I agree that it makes more sense in football, but Powhatan will probably move to 5A soon with the rapid expansion of western Chesterfield and eastern Powhatan. Even if they are at the bottom of the Dominion at first it won't be long until they are competitive. Midlo is like 10 minutes down the road so travel will be way better for them. It does make sense that they join the Dominion, I just hate having only 1 OOD game!

Also, the JD has been really strong lately in basketball, and lord they're probably the best district in the state in boys and girls soccer. Albemarle's teams have won states like 5 times in the past 5 years, Western Albemarle boys won twice in the last four years and the girls won last year, and Charlottesville boys made it to the state championship two yeas ago and states again last year. The JD is also pretty strong baseball wise, and Powhatan is always at the top and if not near the top in the district. Just saying there are a lot of factors other than football going into Powhatan's decision.

Reactions: mbonape1 and OCBoy
Also, the JD has been really strong lately in basketball, and lord they're probably the best district in the state in boys and girls soccer. Albemarle's teams have won states like 5 times in the past 5 years, Western Albemarle boys won twice in the last four years and the girls won last year, and Charlottesville boys made it to the state championship two yeas ago and states again last year. The JD is also pretty strong baseball wise, and Powhatan is always at the top and if not near the top in the district. Just saying there are a lot of factors other than football going into Powhatan's decision.
I know, Your right I was being sarcastic

Last edited:

I disagree. Powhatan's move to the Dominion District will hurt football badly. The bottom half of the Dominion District has been down the last yr or so but every program in the Dominion is on the rise except James River. Powhatan currently plays three Division 3, two Division 4, and two Division 5 schools with Louisa being the only big time football program in the Jefferson.

Now Powhatan will play three Division 6 schools (Clover Hill, Cosby and James River), three Division 5 schools (Manchester, LC Bird and Midlothian), two Division 4 schools (Monacan and Huguenot), and Division 3 George Wythe. Those schools enrollment numbers are significantly higher than the Jefferson.

Clover Hill is a sleeping giant with Bryan Jennings coaching them. C Hill has a ton of athletes in their area but needed a head coach bad, they have one now. Cosby has always been very solid to good, last year was a weird year with the Head Coach going through cancer treatment and having lost multiple FBS and FCS Kids the previous 3-4 years. Cosby had never had a below .500 regular season record in their history until 2017. James River also has a ton of athletes but start a Freshman quarterback that has really killed them with turnovers. JR might be 0-7, but they could beat or be competitive with anyone in the Jefferson district besides Louisa.

Manchester and LC Bird are State Champion caliber programs. Bird has been down (for their standards) but is 108-13 with 3 State Championships since 2009. Manchester has as good of talent as anybody in the region outside Highland Springs. They have outscored their opponents 363-18 in 6 games. Midlothian has gone from perennial doormat to a team that is competitive every week under their 2nd year head coach. Midlothain however did lose to Powhatan this season 14-7 in a ugly game.

Monacan will always be very competitive to very good as long as Jim Henderson is coaching them. Monacan is 50-16 since Henderson became Head Coach (45-10 the last 4 years). Huguenot might have the biggest team I have seen in the region the past two years. Having watched them three times in person this year, they have the ability to play with anyone on Fridays. They did lose coach Jennings to Clover Hill, but Huguenot's size and speed will cause problems for Powhatan.

Other than George Wythe, I don't see Powhatan having any of the advantages in the Dominion that they currently have in the Jefferson.
School enrollments are a big difference, but the speed and athleticism in the Dominion district is drastically better than the schools in the Jefferson.

I have seen were people talk about the growth of Powhatan county and the Indians potentially becoming a 5A school. I agree that Powhatan will either have to move to 5A or the county will have to build a new high school. With that being said, most of the new neighborhoods being built will not produce the traditional Powhatan kids of years past. It will be interesting next year.

If Powhatan has a good team, they'll be able to compete. If they don't, they won't.

Powhatan's good team records have been skewed by their past scheduled opponents. A good analogy is Powhatan is essentially going from a FCS to FBS schedule. Not saying the Indians can't win 2-5 district games a year, but they face an uphill battle they haven't had. Jim Woodson is a helluva a football coach, Powhatan will have a drop off initially when he retires no matter who replaces him.

With that said, Powhatan is doing the right thing for the entire athletics program by joining the Dominion.

Powhatan's good team records have been skewed by their past scheduled opponents. A good analogy is Powhatan is essentially going from a FCS to FBS schedule. Not saying the Indians can't win 2-5 district games a year, but they face an uphill battle they haven't had. Jim Woodson is a helluva a football coach, Powhatan will have a drop off initially when he retires no matter who replaces him.

With that said, Powhatan is doing the right thing for the entire athletics program by joining the Dominion.
Great comparison. This move is good long term for Powhatan. It’s like they took steps. They stepped up to the Jefferson to now stepping up to the Dominion

Having one OOD is not good for the Dominion. Would like to see another district in the region created for Richmond city schools and 2 other Division 3 schools. A few schools should also switch districts.

What do people think about these 5 districts that would all have 7 schools who would play each other? The horrific mismatches in football would not be as prevalent as they are now and would have more natural rivalries. Plus it would give teams more freedom to schedule OOD district games that in theory would be more competitive and safer than say George Wythe v. LC Bird or Thomas Dale v. Petersburg.

Teams that would switch districts in Bold:

New District
:

John Marshall, Teejay, George Wythe, Huguenot, Armstrong, Petersburg, Colonial Heights

The 5 city schools should play each other every year in football. The kids and parents I have talked with over the years at these schools all want to play each other and most think that it would really help the attendance at their games. Petersburg and Colonial Heights would get a chance to compete with schools with similar enrollments. Petersburg and C Heights would have the worst travel but are just a 25-40 minute trip up 95 from the Richmond city schools.

Dominion:

Manchester, Clover Hill, Cosby, Midlothian, Powhatan, Monacan and James River.

I get that Wythe depends on the gate money from the Dominion District schools to help fund their athletic program, but Wythe is 2-142 overall since 2003. Wythe has not won a Dominion District game since 2003.
No community should have to endure that type of suffering for any reason. Wythe plays two home games this year, but do not think they have played a Dominion District team (besides Huguenot) at home in at least a decade, if not longer.

Central:

Thomas Dale, Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Prince George, Matoaca, Meadowbrook and LC Bird.

It has been well documented that Bird wants to stay in Dominion, but they fit the Central District geographically, athletically and in academics.

Capital:

Atlee, Hanover, Patrick Henry, Henrico, Lee-Davis, Highland Springs and Lee-Davis

Colonial:

Deep Run, Glen Allen, Mills Godwin, Hermitage, J.R Tucker, Douglas Freeman and Goochland.

Goochland
is the outlier in the James River District. The were a dominant Division 2 school that jumps to Division 3. This district would drastically shorten the current travel they have in the James River District and also put them in a more competitive football league. If not the Colonial, Goochland could fit well as a replacement for Powhatan in the Jefferson district.

Reactions: CHUKNOW and OCBoy
Having one OOD is not good for the Dominion. Would like to see another district in the region created for Richmond city schools and 2 other Division 3 schools. A few schools should also switch districts.

What do people think about these 5 districts that would all have 7 schools who would play each other? The horrific mismatches in football would not be as prevalent as they are now and would have more natural rivalries. Plus it would give teams more freedom to schedule OOD district games that in theory would be more competitive and safer than say George Wythe v. LC Bird or Thomas Dale v. Petersburg.

New District
:

John Marshall, Teejay, George Wythe, Huguenot, Armstrong, Petersburg, Colonial Heights

The 5 city schools should play each other every year in football. The kids and parents I have talked with over the years at these schools all want to play each other and most think that it would really help the attendance at their games. Petersburg and Colonial Heights would get a chance to compete with schools with similar enrollments. Petersburg and C Heights would have the worst travel but are just a 25-40 minute trip up 95 from the Richmond city schools.

Dominion:

I get that Wythe depends on the gate money from the Dominion District schools to help fund their athletic program, but Wythe is 2-142 overall since 2003. Wythe has not won a Dominion District game since 2003.
No community should have to endure that type of suffering for any reason. Wythe plays two home games this year, but do not think they have played a Dominion District team (besides Huguenot) at home in at least a decade, if not longer.

Central:

Thomas Dale, Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Prince George, Matoaca, Meadowbrook and LC Bird.

It has been well documented that Bird wants to stay in Dominion, but they fit the Central District geographically, athletically and in academics.

Capital:

Atlee, Hanover, Patrick Henry, Henrico, Lee-Davis, Highland Springs and Lee-Davis

Colonial:

Deep Run, Glen Allen, Mills Godwin, Hermitage, J.R Tucker, Douglas Freeman and Goochland.

Goochland
is the outlier in the James River District. The were a dominant Division 2 school that jumps to Division 3. This district would drastically shorten the current travel they have in the James River District and also put them in a more competitive football league. If not the Colonial, Goochland could fit well as a replacement for Powhatan in the Jefferson district.
Looks good but getting all these ADs on board is the tricky part

New District
:

Dominion:

Central:

Capital:

Colonial:

Goochland

Bird being in the Central is a personal battle for me. I don't agree with that one. Yeah i suppose they geographically could fit in the Central... BC of Meadowbrook? Meadowbrook should be in the Dominion probably. Outside of my Meadowbrook comment, I have proposed this very thing on this board several times. However, I wanted to keep Bird in the Dominion and send Powhatan to the central. The city schools playing each other along with CH is a no brainer but I am afraid that Huguenot will DOMINATE moving forward. The tricky thing to figure out is who should be in the Dominion.

Bird being in the Central is a personal battle for me. I don't agree with that one. Yeah i suppose they geographically could fit in the Central... BC of Meadowbrook? Meadowbrook should be in the Dominion probably. Outside of my Meadowbrook comment, I have proposed this very thing on this board several times. However, I wanted to keep Bird in the Dominion and send Powhatan to the central. The city schools playing each other along with CH is a no brainer but I am afraid that Huguenot will DOMINATE moving forward. The tricky thing to figure out is who should be in the Dominion.
I knew someone posted those districts before but couldn’t remember

Reactions: mbonape1
With my Skyhawks taking a beating from an unblelievable Manchester squad last night I have no reason to crow, but how did Powhatan get beat by Fluvanna? Just as I thought this was a thread written by Anon blowing up another team Louisa plays. Fantastic propaganda. Powhatan might not even make the playoffs. Compete in the Dominion? No way.

Got a chance to see my old squad Meadowbrook play at Dinwiddie today. Meadowbrook didnt quit, but Dinwiddie looked to be in coast mode all game. The Generals run defense is tight. Anybody who hasnt seen Pope play is missing a treat. The things he does with his feet and his strength. Whoa! Him and B. Smith from Louisa on a collision course worth watching. Both are the the best on their side of the ball in 4b maybe the state.

Congrats to Monacan on their gritty win over Cosby. Gotta tighten up to make my prediction come true. Pound the rock coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT