ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Top 10 Rankings

Sep 11, 2017
The season is quickly approaching so why don't we hear everyone's early Top 10 predictions for 1A. Try and list your rankings & give quick justification or analysis of the teams you're familiar with for others. Let's see what you guys are thinking & let the debates begin lol.

Last edited:
Essex #1 Size and Speed and Dameron !
William Campbell #2 Lots of returning talent . Red team got lucky last season .
Red Team #3 They start slow finish like a machine !
Galax #4 Coach Dixon
Chilhowie #5 Young team hungry now !
#5-10 Anybody you want !
After game #5 these teams should be in the mix of the Top 5 . In any order . jmo

1. Essex: size, speed, talent & another year under Coach Jones system. Think this is the year they make their run.
2. Riverheads: always in contention with that system. Will be playing deep into postseason again.
3. William Campbell: hype train anyone? Think they are good but didn't hold up well in playoffs against RH. Scrimmage against Essex should be a good chance to see how good they truly are.
4. Galax:
perennial west powerhouse, hungry for another deep run after getting bounced out by Chilhowie.
5. Colonial Beach:
I repeat...do not sleep on the beach. Tough bunch of kids who know how to play football. Biggest issue is depth.
6. Chilhowie:
young, talented team that will have to battle Galax again for the west.
7. Sussex: lost a lot of talent but still a tough team that has the potential to make some noise if young players step up (especially young sophomore that made game winning pick 6 against Essex)
8. Franklin: up and coming young talented team. Have few kids on the team from track team that made some noise at states. ODU commit at WR I believe and tough running backs. Don't sleep on them.
9. Norththumberland: have dual threat QB & ballhawk safety in Palmer but how far can one kid carry a team?!
10. George Wythe? West Point? W&L? Altavista?: your guess is as good as mine as who should go here

Last edited:
Reactions: uvacavs1
Riverheads not 1? I pretty much stopped reading after that point. You know, I know, and everyone else in the state of Va that knows anything about 1A football knows who should be ranked first preseason in any poll, and that's Riverheads.

I would have William Campbell 2nd. Essex 3rd, Chilhowie 4th, Galax 5th. I understand Chilhowie returns everyone including the waterboy and cheerleaders. Galax is a power out West, but for last year and 2018, it looks Chilhowie is simply better and simply more talented. If Galax were to come out ahead of Chilhowie in 2018, it would likely be considered an upset.

1.Riverheads -A wise man once said to be the man you got to beat the man
2.Essex
3.William Campbell
4.Galax
5.Northumberland
6.Chilhowie
7.Sussex
8.Franklin
9. Colonial Beach
10.Rappahannock (NNK)

1.Riverheads -A wise man once said to be the man you got to beat the man
2.Essex
3.William Campbell
4.Galax
5.Northumberland
6.Chilhowie
7.Sussex
8.Franklin
9. Colonial Beach
10.Rappahannock (NNK)
This looks good Riverheads will be better this year than last but doesn’t mean they will win it they will have to be focused and work hard no one is going give it to them

This looks good Riverheads will be better this year than last but doesn’t mean they will win it they will have to be focused and work hard no one is going give it to them

Of course "no one is going to give it to them." Of course they "have to work hard." Fact is, all of the other 1A teams in Va are going to need to work harder to beat Riverheads. Riverheads isnt going to just hand over the title to anyone else either.

Of course "no one is going to give it to them." Of course they "have to work hard." Fact is, all of the other 1A teams in Va are going to need to work harder to beat Riverheads. Riverheads isnt going to just hand over the title to anyone else either.
Just trying to not sound like arrogant ass but real truth is after 1st play of championship game last year I new chilhowie didn’t have a chance offensive line pushed defensive line 8 yards down field if you can’t stand up to Riverheads offensive line they will win it again

1. Riverheads
2. Essex
3. Chilhowie
4. Galax
5. Sussex
6. William Campbell
7. Colonial Beach
8-10: IDK...Northumberland, W&L, Franklin???

Last edited:
1. Riverheads ( Oceans 11 )
2. Essex ( Best team in the state its win or bust Mr. Essex Trojan )
3. Galax ( Has the formula to defeat Mr. Casto bunch )
4. Franklin ( Coach Parkers Freshman investment will deliver a huge return
5. Northumberland ( How will they respond after Essex takes them behind the wood shed
6. W & L ( Young coach how good is he ?
7. William Campbell ( Defense will be there calling card
8. Chilhowie ( 1 hit wonder see you again in 20 years
9. George Wythe ( Tons of talent in that community
10. Sussex Central ( Plays in the most competitive division in 1a Jefferson will have them ready no matter what

Last edited:
Riverheads has a cake walk to Salem only will need 2 playoff wins to advance , Vhsl has already given it to them lol !

Last edited:
Reactions: honestjohn60
Riverheads has a cake walk to Salem only will need 2 playoff wins to advance , Vhsl has already given it to them lol !
Tru, you're FALSE again. I hate that it happens to you so often. Even with a first round bye like last year it will take at least 3 just like last year. It was Altavista in Region Semi, William Campbell in Region Final and then Essex in State Semi before Chilhowie in Salem. Just want to make sure you have your "numbers" right, since numbers tend to confuse you. You're welcome! HAHA

Tru, you're FALSE again. Even with a first round bye like last year it will take at least 3 just like last year.
It was Altavista in Region Semi, William Campbell in Region Final and then Essex in State Semi before Chilhowie in Salem. Just want to make sure you have your "numbers" right, since numbers tend to confuse you. You're welcome! HAHA
OK didn't they get a bye last year ? yes or no

Riverheads not 1? I pretty much stopped reading after that point. You know, I know, and everyone else in the state of Va that knows anything about 1A football knows who should be ranked first preseason in any poll, and that's Riverheads.

I would have William Campbell 2nd. Essex 3rd, Chilhowie 4th, Galax 5th. I understand Chilhowie returns everyone including the waterboy and cheerleaders. Galax is a power out West, but for last year and 2018, it looks Chilhowie is simply better and simply more talented. If Galax were to come out ahead of Chilhowie in 2018, it would likely be considered an upset.

That water boy tho
Boy is filling at a D1 level. Pouring a sub 2 min 40 (cups), can throw a towel a crisp 12 yards, and can carry 6 caddies of water bottles at a time. Kid is a beast.

OK didn't they get a bye last year ? yes or no

You know there is ways of knowing things before you incorrectly spout off about them.
A) As others have pointed out, RHS played 4 PO games including the state final. So, that is 3 games prior to Salem. (Counting is hard)
B) Yes, the top 2 seeds get PO BYE in Region B. There is not enough teams to give them all games. With the fact a winless team made the POs last year, I’d be in support of 4 teams make it out of B and all of them have BYEs. At least it would be even ground for the Region Title. If you don’t like that B has a BYE, figure out a way to give B more teams or talk your leaders into a BYE of your own.
C) Go study past trouble makers on these boards and step up your game.

Reactions: WP02alum
Ok this is not about a good d2 program dominating d1 , i have picked the Gladiators#1 and picked them to win State, but your path to title game will be very very easy due to region b format , In MY opinion Riverheads legacy as a football power will always come with question marks so dont expect people to come up here praise them. Can we please talk about the true d1 teams just a little bit ? Or explain those loses against Riverheads record to those d2 teams , maybe thats why you moved down lol just my thoughts ?

West Point will not be a pushover aka sleeper team to watch
West Point, Colonial Beach could easy fit in my top 10 . The NN will be in comparison to the Sec this year , you guys will be treated to some great football this year ! Enjoy

Shouts out WP! Hope that angry dad got it out of his system & his kid can have a fun season this fall.

I hope the Red team meets the Tigers in the post season for another smack down ! Should be a great season !
Tru , I wonder if your family tree has any limbs ? lol

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious about one team, Franklin. I see the justification that Kid07 and tru used, but they were 3-7 last season! Gave up a ton of points. They beat 0-10 Windsor that only scored 42 points while giving up 515, 3-7 Charles City and one of their wins was the K&Q forfeit, and Surry who was 2-8 (and who only beat Windsor and squeaked by Northampton). I don't see much to make me believe they will suddenly be a top 10 team pre-season.

I do however believe WP could be considered a low top 10 pre-season team. Their coach coming back for another year is a real positive. However, they did graduate some big boys off of their line. But, all in all, I think they have another playoff caliber team.

Reactions: HighestPoint
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious about one team, Franklin. I see the justification that Kid07 and tru used, but they were 3-7 last season! Gave up a ton of points. They beat 0-10 Windsor that only scored 42 points while giving up 515, 3-7 Charles City and one of their wins was the K&Q forfeit, and Surry who was 2-8 (and who only beat Windsor and squeaked by Northampton). I don't see much to make me believe they will suddenly be a top 10 team pre-season.

I do however believe WP could be considered a low top 10 pre-season team. Their coach coming back for another year is a real positive. However, they did graduate some big boys off of their line. But, all in all, I think they have another playoff caliber team.
Agree , Sussex is a year or two away and C.B. is always a well coached team . Sussex has a bunch of young kids that may get an education this season .
Wonder what the ratio is across the state , spread or something else vs wing teams ? And how it has worked for them ?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
A bit of a double-edge sword for teams like Sussex, Franklin and Surry is that they haven't had JV teams the past few years. Therefore, it would appear to me that less young players are in the program (bad), but those that are get valuable experience if they stick with it (good).

That's a good question about what formation is the most used, and what are the others. That will take a much better football mind than I have.

A great friend of mine is a Sussex native. Of course he played football back in his day. What else is there to do in Sussex? Anyway, he has a cousin that went on to play at JMU the last four years. My buddy went to most of his games and kept me updated throughout the games. It was really fun following a semi-local kid playing for national championships. Cornell Urquart is the players name. Great kid, made Sussex proud.

I root for Sussex for no other reason than that is where my good friend came from. Hopefully the young kids on the team this year find their sea legs quickly and they can win the majority of their games.

A bit of a double-edge sword for teams like Sussex, Franklin and Surry is that they haven't had JV teams the past few years. Therefore, it would appear to me that less young players are in the program (bad), but those that are get valuable experience if they stick with it (good).
With all the competing interest, and the sacrifice that playing football takes, it's amazing that any of the smaller schools are able to field JV teams. It's more important than ever that the coach be a dynamic individual so he can get the kids in the program, and then keep them.

Colonial Heights, which is 3a, hasn't been able to field a JV squad in several years. It's a tough landscape for high school football these days. And only going to get tougher.

Ok this is not about a good d2 program dominating d1 , i have picked the Gladiators#1 and picked them to win State, but your path to title game will be very very easy due to region b format , In MY opinion Riverheads legacy as a football power will always come with question marks so dont expect people to come up here praise them. Can we please talk about the true d1 teams just a little bit ? Or explain those loses against Riverheads record to those d2 teams , maybe thats why you moved down lol just my thoughts ?

Certainly dont want to get into an argument over something else, and it doesn't bother me one bit if they lose every game, but since you asked about losses to D2 schools, in the last 2 years they have 3 losses, D2 state semifinal Stuarts Draft in 2016 in a game that could have went either way (though I believe SD was the better team, though I might be biased), and 2 playoff teams last year in Central Woodstock and Robert E Lee. Lee knocked Central out, and of course Lee came very close to beating Appomattox in the title game. They had 1 other really close game in Stuarts Draft that went down to last play, and then at least one game that was within 10 points.

Is it your contention that RH wouldn't have won a title in 2a? If so, I totally agree with you, if it is your contention that any other 1a school would have played them closer, no. If it is simply about their numbers, I am tired of that. I will simply ask ONE question about the numbers, since you seem so stuck on them. What do you think their numbers are since they are "cheating" according to you?

Certainly dont want to get into an argument over something else, and it doesn't bother me one bit if they lose every game, but since you asked about losses to D2 schools, in the last 2 years they have 3 losses, D2 state semifinal Stuarts Draft in 2016 in a game that could have went either way (though I believe SD was the better team, though I might be biased), and 2 playoff teams last year in Central Woodstock and Robert E Lee. Lee knocked Central out, and of course Lee came very close to beating Appomattox in the title game. They had 1 other really close game in Stuarts Draft that went down to last play, and then at least one game that was within 10 points.

Is it your contention that RH wouldn't have won a title in 2a? If so, I totally agree with you, if it is your contention that any other 1a school would have played them closer, no. If it is simply about their numbers, I am tired of that. I will simply ask ONE question about the numbers, since you seem so stuck on them. What do you think their numbers are since they are "cheating" according to you?
LOL!

Ive never said Riverheads cheated lol you all did , my choice word is manipulation by the administration , the kids of Riverheads kick ass on the field as they should i will never take that from them they execute there system flawless, for that is reason why i have them 3 peating if go back into my past post i have given the kids total respect please research my post. Once again the decision made by the administration has affected the legacy of a very good program.

Ive never said Riverheads cheated lol you all did , my choice word is manipulation by the administration , the kids of Riverheads kick ass on the field as they should i will never take that from them they execute there system flawless, for that is reason why i have them 3 peating if go back into my past post i have given the kids total respect please research my post. Once again the decision made by the administration has affected the legacy of a very good program.

So then good sir, answer the question instead of just a LOL. That makes you look worse pal.

What do you believe is their real number? And while I dislike them, what is your point in their 3 losses last 2 years?

And yes you have used the words cheater, thief, etc.

So the real question remains, how often do you comb your hair, and what color is it? I know there are so many different colors

There Legacy is tarnished ( There is no honor among theives )

Lets talk about the programs who do it the right way please !

Whatever number you want them to have is cool with me and Vhsl lol!

I hope they 5 peat lol !

I hope they 5 peat lol !

I hope they dont, but YOU have brought up the numbers plenty of times, so me being someone who dislikes them, I want to know what you think their numbers are in reality.

I hope they 5 peat lol !
Still having trouble with that word THIEVES?
LOL
LOL

I hope they dont, but YOU have brought up the numbers plenty of times, so me being someone who dislikes them, I want to know what you think their numbers are in reality.
Ask Casto he knows

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT