ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting the 4a Finals

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Now is the time for predictions--We have an entire season to use to make our predictions--just for fun let's give it a try Who will be in the finals for the 4a State Finals?

Jefferson Forest vs. Lake Taylor
Picking Jefferson Forest because they are at home through the playoffs until the State Championship and this will offset their questionable defensive play.If Salem was home through the playoffs I would pick Salem. Lake Taylor remains the prohibitive favorite in the East.

Dark Horse in the West is GW Danville----Dark Horse in the East Monacan

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Now is the time for predictions--We have an entire season to use to make our predictions--just for fun let's give it a try Who will be in the finals for the 4a State Finals?

Jefferson Forest vs. Lake Taylor
Picking Jefferson Forest because they are at home through the playoffs until the State Championship and this will offset their questionable defensive play.If Salem was home through the playoffs I would pick Salem. Lake Taylor remains the prohibitive favorite in the East.

Dark Horse in the West is GW Danville----Dark Horse in the East Monacan
Salem and Lake Taylor

Reactions: VolNation85
So were skipping the west and the east final predictions and going straight to the state final. Lol I will wait till a few teams actually play some competition, a few teams have cupcake regular season schedules. We all should know a lot more after two rounds at least.

So were skipping the west and the east final predictions and going straight to the state final. Lol I will wait till a few teams actually play some competition, a few teams have cupcake regular season schedules. We all should know a lot more after two rounds at least.
yea----but then it will be easy---not as much fun

Reactions: wikki
Louisa vs. Jefferson Forest atmosphere would be ELECTRIC!! Wonder if Liberty will let the Louisa skydiver deliver the game ball??

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Louisa fans would out cheer JF by a lot.
Take away the motor cycle and sirens at JF and you barely hear the fans during the game. At the beginning the student section cheers with the band but not much after that. I went last year to both of their home games and Liberty Bealton fans were louder than they were

West: Woodgrove vs Salem
East: Lake Taylor vs Monacan

Final: Woodgrove vs Monacan

It would be nice to get some new teams playing for a State 4A title game.

It will be a long, tough road for both finalists.

I think Woodgrove is ready for the next step.

I say Woodgrove vs. Lake Taylor.

I agree with hamspear though, we are going out on a limb this early!

Reactions: OCBoy
Take away the motor cycle and sirens at JF and you barely hear the fans during the game. At the beginning the student section cheers with the band but not much after that. I went last year to both of their home games and Liberty Bealton fans were louder than they were
The best fans that I have experienced is of course Amherst but also Salem. Pulaski, Dinwiddie, Christiansburg, Louisa and Richland. These are games in playoffs or states

What is it about Woodgrove that makes you think they make it that far? They didn't with better players in the past.

1. What is it about Woodgrove that makes you think they make it that far? They didn't with better players in the past.

I think Woodgrove football takes the next step for the following reasons:
  1. Most of the starters were on the last two teams that had decent playoff runs. They have been in the playoffs and know what to expect and what it takes to keep their season going.
  2. Our O-line is the best, IMHO, that Woodgrove has ever fielded.
  3. Our Defense is the best at tackling and rushing the passer that I have seen in our short 6 years of existence.
  4. Our QB is a dual threat this year; he can throw the ball quite well or scamper for big yardage.He is not afraid to get hit either. Our two previous quarterbacks could not run the ball as well and teams would stop or feature back and beat us.
  5. We run the no huddle and we beat down teams defenses; when the late 3rd & 4th quarter rolls around, look out!
  6. Yeah we have had some better positional players in the past but these kids are mean as heck and expect to win.
  7. We have a great Coaching staff who prepares a superior gameplan.
Like every other team that made the playoffs; IF Woodgrove can execute their gameplan with minimal penalties and few turnovers they will be tough to beat.

And that's without the Liberty band even showing up. They might have out numbered JF too

Sherando has a tough run defense. Unless another team in the West has a decent passing game Sherando will be a tough out. Now IF they make it the state final against a team like LT...well you know...

This whole theory that Sherando has no pass defense is not how I would look at it.. Pass defense for Sherando has 19 interceptions this year, and are giving up less than 120 yards a game. They had one quarter and a half a lapse in one game. They were unprepared, for what happened against a team they had not played and seen that from on film or the first half. Not a excuse, just a fact. Doesn't mean every other team in virginia is going to be able to live off the pass against them , lol . Bunch of you need to stop getting unfactual information from people on here , especially from a one team highlight reel. Salem will be my favorite to win the West, but I think the Warriors have as good a shot as anyone to get to Salem to play them.

Hammy I'm giving your team props. I'm saying the only way to beat them in the west is to pass successfully. If your game plan is to win by just running the ball against Sherando your fate will be the same as Millbrook. Just admit Hammy the pass defense has been kind of iffy this year.

4A East is so dominate that the golden prize for the 4A West is the win the region...smh

I hope that if Sherando makes it to LU that they win it this time
Thanks Wikki, but it would be a shocker to me, because I have have seen at least 5 or 6 Sherando teams better than this one. But any given year you never know, circumstances are always different.

Hammy I'm giving your team props. I'm saying the only way to beat them in the west is to pass successfully. If your game plan is to win by just running the ball against Sherando your fate will be the same as Millbrook. Just admit Hammy the pass defense has been kind of iffy this year.
That's true, most teams would have to pass effectively to win against Sherando. but I'm just saying that doesn't mean every team who try is going to be able to. Compare the interceptions and pass yard given up to any other playoff team in the West, bet you Sherando is better than average. Maybe Iffy by Sherando standards ok, I will give you that. Bottom line giving up 9 points a game, not to shabby. Especially with all the late Td's during scrub time.

That's true, most teams would have to pass effectively to win against Sherando. but I'm just saying that doesn't mean every team who try is going to be able to. Compare the interceptions and pass yard given up to any other playoff team in the West, bet you Sherando is better than average. Maybe Iffy by Sherando standards ok, I will give you that. Bottom line giving up 9 points a game, not to shabby. Especially with all the late Td's during scrub time.
You made a key statement, not all teams that try to pass against them has had success. But most of your close games were close due to the other teams passing games, but that's not bad because you only had about 3 close games this year.

Reactions: hamspear
Thanks Wikki, but it would be a shocker to me, because I have have seen at least 5 or 6 Sherando teams better than this one. But any given year you never know, circumstances are always different.
Was their best team in 2007 because that was definitely Amherst best team in my opinion. I know Sherando has lost in 3 state games that is why I will pull for them if they make it

Was their best team in 2007 because that was definitely Amherst best team in my opinion. I know Sherando has lost in 3 state games that is why I will pull for them if they make it

I'd say the 2007 team with Metheny was their best team, shame about his injury. Glad he went on to play at a higher level though.

They've played in four state title games and lost each of them. Kind of a blessing and a curse. On average they make a state final every 5-6 years, which is something most programs would be envious of, but at the same time the 0-4 record makes me feel like a Bills fan in the 90s.

Sherando has lost 4 state games.
Also I disagree with which team was the best Sherando team. But it doesn't matter they all lost.

1. Most of the starters were on the last two teams that had decent playoff runs. They have been in the playoffs and know what to expect and what it takes to keep their season going.
  3. Our Defense is the best at tackling and rushing the passer that I have seen in our short 6 years of existence.
  4. Our QB is a dual threat this year; he can throw the ball quite well or scamper for big yardage.He is not afraid to get hit either. Our two previous quarterbacks could not run the ball as well and teams would stop or feature back and beat us.
  5. We run the no huddle and we beat down teams defenses; when the late 3rd & 4th quarter rolls around, look out!
  6. Yeah we have had some better positional players in the past but these kids are mean as heck and expect to win.
Like every other team that made the playoffs; IF Woodgrove can execute their gameplan with minimal penalties and few turnovers they will be tough to beat.
I agree with points 1,2, and 6.

Reactions: OCBoy
I think that is the difference maker for any team, win the turnover/penalty battle and your team has a good chance to win...assuming talent level is equal or close to equal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT