ADVERTISEMENT

Promising article, fingers crossed for February!!!!

Not sure how accurate that article is...Martinsburg (WV) had to cancel their season opener with Mussleman because of someone close to the Martinsburg program testing positive. They were in quarantine until September 5.

Reactions: VHSL-helper
Not sure how accurate that article is...Martinsburg (WV) had to cancel their season opener with Mussleman because of someone close to the Martinsburg program testing positive. They were in quarantine until September 5.

Article is more about how "there have been no cases of significant community spread" due to football being played. It's not saying that there haven't been any positive tests, just the fact that the games have not led to any outbreaks like college campuses and large parties have.

Article is more about how "there have been no cases of significant community spread" due to football being played. It's not saying that there haven't been any positive tests, just the fact that the games have not led to any outbreaks like college campuses and large parties have.

Correct. We can't base risk mitigation efforts on the ridiculous and unattainable notion that we can prevent people from contracting the virus. The issue is whether high school football materially increases the overall spread of the virus to at-risk individuals.

Reactions: Ampipe_High
I know what the article says. I think it’s misleading. At first glance you just read and go oh wow, covid is not really affecting high school football. How many teams have already cancelled a game or had to reschedule...those statistics are not present.

Just an observation.

Reactions: falcettik
'TO OUR KNOWLEDGE... no... SIGNIFICANT community spread'.

'Data shows there has not been a SIGNIFICANT spike...'

Can't get much more slanted than that.

How much checking was actually done? How many of the games were at least 10 days ago? How many games actually allowed FANS?

Tennessee (TSSAA) requires fans attending sporting events to wear masks, EVERYONE has their temperature checked before entering the facility (100.3 is the limit) and seating follows s-d guidelines... IF localities allow fans. Bands & concession stands are discouraged.

'TO OUR KNOWLEDGE... no... SIGNIFICANT community spread'.

'Data shows there has not been a SIGNIFICANT spike...'

Can't get much more slanted than that.

How much checking was actually done? How many of the games were at least 10 days ago? How many games actually allowed FANS?

Tennessee (TSSAA) requires fans attending sporting events to wear masks, EVERYONE has their temperature checked before entering the facility (100.3 is the limit) and seating follows s-d guidelines... IF localities allow fans. Bands & concession stands are discouraged.

Given the media coverage and public attention on these matters, and given the number of games that have been played...do you not think it is notable that there are no accounts of significant community spread attributable to high school football in the media narrative? It seems like it is OK to broadcast negative scenarios about the virus, but people get testy if you look for positives. Perhaps my imagination.

Given the media coverage and public attention on these matters, and given the number of games that have been played...do you not think it is notable that there are no accounts of significant community spread attributable to high school football in the media narrative? It seems like it is OK to broadcast negative scenarios about the virus, but people get testy if you look for positives. Perhaps my imagination.

There’s a certain sect of people out there who want to be right so bad that they are damn near cheering the idea that there will be an outbreak, due to football being played, and the world will become shuttered once again.

Nobody is cheering for anything. I hope it magically disappears. I don't know if the college outbreaks are because kids are partying, or because there are 300 kids in a dorm with like 6 communal bathrooms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT