ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of my City: DANVILLE VA

My roots do not fall back into one city or town but since living in Salem and seeing kids grow through there I have heard about a great history and coached a few of them.

Andrew Lewis football State runner up 1966, 1967, 1971
Andrew Lewis State Champion 1962, 1964,
Salem region champion 86,89, 90, 91, 92, 96, 98, 99, 00, 04,05,07
Salem State runner up 1986, 1991,2014
Salem State Champion 96,98,99,00,04,05,15,16,17.
Yo Danville! Lol!

My roots do not fall back into one city or town but since living in Salem and seeing kids grow through there I have heard about a great history and coached a few of them.

Andrew Lewis football State runner up 1966, 1967, 1971
Andrew Lewis State Champion 1962, 1964,
Salem region champion 86,89, 90, 91, 92, 96, 98, 99, 00, 04,05,07
Salem State runner up 1986, 1991,2014
Salem State Champion 96,98,99,00,04,05,15,16,17.
Yo Danville! Lol!
Aye hoss, them boys can have the championships lol...We have those too, just not recently *shrugs*. We’ll have one soon. We’ll take our D1 and NFL prospects in a heartbeat.

See y’all next year...Malik Clements and Tim Glass’s turn. Yessssssssszir! #DanvilleProud.

P.S. Crazy the amount of hate I got for posting this thread behind the scenes. No congratulations, just dissing and jokes. Wow... I’m happy for every young man who got drafted or is signing as an undrafted free agent. It takes an unbelievable amount of hard work and dedication to get to this point. People wonder why I’m always talking Danville this, Danville that? Very few make it out...So many fall victim to the streets or either just give up on their dreams...Trey, Terrell, Tremaine, David Wilson (there’s more like Ferrell E., Nate Poole, Buddy Curry but I’m speaking for this new generation) is a prime example that if you work hard, stay out of trouble,have good character traits, and keep GOD first, you can achieve ANYTHING you set your mind to! That’s huge for Danville...We needed that! I love my city!!! Danville Sports Head is signing out!

With all that talent in Danville one has to ask, How many more State Championships would Salem have if those kids had gone to Salem? Hmmmmm

With all that talent in Danville one has to ask, How many more State Championships would Salem have if those kids had gone to Salem? Hmmmmm
How does a thread about Danville turn to salem? ALL you salem fans are selfish. No one outside your fan base cares...I know I don’t. You all (with the exception of FreeAtLast, I like you brother..You’re genuine) are so annoying.

See y’all next year...Malik Clements and Tim Glass’s turn. Yessssssssszir! #DanvilleProud.

P.S. Crazy the amount of hate I got for posting this thread behind the scenes. No congratulations, just dissing and jokes. Wow... I’m happy for every young man who got drafted or is signing as an undrafted free agent. It takes an unbelievable amount of hard work and dedication to get to this point. People wonder why I’m always talking Danville this, Danville that? Very few make it out...So many fall victim to the streets or either just give up on their dreams...Trey, Terrell, Tremaine, David Wilson (there’s more like Ferrell E., Nate Poole, Buddy Curry but I’m speaking for this new generation) is a prime example that if you work hard, stay out of trouble,have good character traits, and keep GOD first, you can achieve ANYTHING you set your mind to! That’s huge for Danville...We needed that! I love my city!!! Danville Sports Head is signing out!

Couple questions DSH. Was Ferrell ever considered an option to be the head coach at GW-Danville? I know GW has lost a few guys over the years to Dan River because of Coach Edmunds and the trust some of those parents had in him as a coach/man. Have to think if the 3 brothers had gone to GW, the Eagles would have gone deeper and maybe gotten back to the promised land. The amount of football talent coming out of Danville the past 30-35 years is remarkable for a city that size. Congrats to Danville and each of the young men who was drafted over the weekend!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Couple questions DSH. Was Ferrell ever considered an option to be the head coach at GW-Danville? I know GW has lost a few guys over the years to Dan River because of Coach Edmunds and the trust some of those parents had in him as a coach/man. Have to think if the 3 brothers had gone to GW, the Eagles would have gone deeper and maybe gotten back to the promised land. The amount of football talent coming out of Danville the past 30-35 years is remarkable for a city that size. Congrats to Danville and each of the young men who was drafted over the weekend!
Always good to hear from you One Man. Ferrell applied for the position after Dan Newell left in 2010. GW decided to go with Jimmy Teague, who has won 5 or 6 state championships at Reidsville. Teague was only around for 2 years and then Bobby Martin took over for a year and then we got Anderson. Hindsight, Ferrell gets the job 20 times over..GW lost a lot of talent to Dan River over the past 10 years. Dan River is like the “U” of the Southside. Ferrell bought a lot of swagger to that program, football & basketball... Anyone will tell you, Dan River was nothing before Ferrell got the head coaching job in 2007...Their football program was comparable to Fluvanna or Carroll County. Took him a little time, but Dan River is a quality program surrounded by the biggest community support in Southside VA. There was speculation that the EBoyz would follow their dad’s path and play for the GW Eagles, but they’ve been very loyal to the Dan River community. I’ve heard many reasons why Ferrell was passed over, but it came down to him not possessing a teacher’s license.. I do believe that Danville would’ve been a premier team in the state had the 3 EBoyz played in the city.

Reactions: Lewis918777
Couple of guys GW lost to Dan River
1.Quan Stephens- All Region RB/All State PG..Won State Championships in track and basketball.
2.Paul Stone- All State SF. ECU signee, ended his career at Union College and led them in scoring and a National championship there. Was the NAIA Tournament MVP & was on the NAIA All-America First Team.
3. Devante Davis- All State PG in 2012. Led Dan River to a perfect 28-0 season until they played Lancaster in the state quarters. Played at VUL and Bluefield.
4. Dee McMoore- All Region RB. Had offers from Cornell and other D-1aa programs. Injuries really hurt his career. I think he ended up at UVA-Wise.
5. The Edmunds Brothers. Had Ferrell gotten the GW job, all 3 would’ve played for GW. Just think.. GW’s 2013 secondary would’ve consisted of Terrell Edmunds, Tim Glass (NC State), Malik Clements (Cincinnati), & Myles Bennett (Averett)...Curtis Brooks (Cincinatti), Tremaine Edmunds, and Malek Henderson (NCCU/Virginia State) in the front 7..We may have lost to Dinwiddie but it would’ve been a lot closer than 56-14. Just saying @hamspear

There’s more..I know I’m missing a few but it’s all good!

Reactions: Lewis918777
Proud my our Wildcats. Danville-Pittsylvania Co., we're so close and our area been through a lot. From jobs leaving (especially Dan River Mills) and the recent uptick in crime, I love to see our area showed in a positive manor! Whether they are a Wildcat (which I'm a proud DR alumni!), Eagle, Hawk (Gretna), Cavalier (Chatham), Trojan (Tunstall), Bulldog (Westover), Falcon (Galileo), or whatever. It makes me proud to be from Southside VA. Congrats again to the Edmunds brothers. Last year at this time, none were technically on a NFL team and now you have Trey make the Saints roster in 2017 (despite the odds against it!) and now Tremaine (Buffalo) and Terrell (Pittsburgh) being first round draft picks! #DanvillePittsCo_StandUp #3EBoyz

1.Quan Stephens- All Region RB/All State PG..Won State Championships in track and basketball.
2.Paul Stone- All State SF. ECU signee, ended his career at Union College and led them in scoring and a National championship there. Was the NAIA Tournament MVP & was on the NAIA All-America First Team.
3. Devante Davis- All State PG in 2012. Led Dan River to a perfect 28-0 season until they played Lancaster in the state quarters. Played at VUL and Bluefield.
4. Dee McMoore- All Region RB. Had offers from Cornell and other D-1aa programs. Injuries really hurt his career. I think he ended up at UVA-Wise.
5. The Edmunds Brothers. Had Ferrell gotten the GW job, all 3 would’ve played for GW. Just think.. GW’s 2013 secondary would’ve consisted of Terrell Edmunds, Tim Glass (NC State), Malik Clements (Cincinnati), & Myles Bennett (Averett)...Curtis Brooks (Cincinatti), Tremaine Edmunds, and Malek Henderson (NCCU/Virginia State) in the front 7..We may have lost to Dinwiddie but it would’ve been a lot closer than 56-14. Just saying @hamspear

Lancaster losing in their region championship game through us for a loop. That game should have been the state final that year (Red Devils defeated George Mason - who we beat in the Region championship - by like 20 I think)

It used to be the county guys would move to the city. I know DR lost Pierre Stines to GW and some others in baseball (Blake Bivens - played 8th at DR, then went to GW) and of course, we had students from both city and county go to private schools in the area (Carlisle, Hargrave Military, etc.)

EBoyz are as humbled as they come. Terrell and Maine were at Ballard Brewery in Danville on Sunday. They couldn’t even eat their food they had so many people taking pics and autographs...They stopped eating and took pictures with everyone and signed all autographs.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Lancaster losing in their region championship game through us for a loop. That game should have been the state final that year (Red Devils defeated George Mason - who we beat in the Region championship - by like 20 I think)

It used to be the county guys would move to the city. I know DR lost Pierre Stines to GW and some others in baseball (Blake Bivens - played 8th at DR, then went to GW) and of course, we had students from both city and county go to private schools in the area (Carlisle, Hargrave Military, etc.)
2012 DR Wildcats were one of the best high schools teams I’ve ever seen to not win a state championship. I believe they could’ve went head to head with the GW teams from 2006-2009. Didn’t have a lot of size but had a combination of excellent guard play, scoring, physicality and defense. T-Eddy hits that shot 9 out of the 10 tries, and that miss happened to be the 1 that he misses..Ultimately caused them the state championship. Lancaster had a heck of a team, not to discredit them. The 09 DR team was very good too..Just wasn’t used to winning and ran into a machine called Radford.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer

2012 DR Wildcats were one of the best high schools teams I’ve ever seen to not win a state championship. I believe they could’ve went head to head with the GW teams from 2006-2009. Didn’t have a lot of size but had a combination of excellent guard play, scoring, physicality and defense. T-Eddy hits that shot 9 out of the 10 tries, and that miss happened to be the 1 that he misses..Ultimately caused them the state championship. Lancaster had a heck of a team, not to discredit them. The 09 DR team was very good too..Just wasn’t used to winning and ran into a machine called Radford.

Yeah - DR vs. Lancaster was the projected championship game, but it happened in the Final 8 instead. Still an outstanding game. In 2009, Radford was on fire and Trey was plagued with fouls (called three charges on him and I think he fouled out.)

I'm hoping for Ahmad Thomas to get a shot at the NBA Draft!

Yeah - DR vs. Lancaster was the projected championship game, but it happened in the Final 8 instead. Still an outstanding game. In 2009, Radford was on fire and Trey was plagued with fouls (called three charges on him and I think he fouled out.)

I'm hoping for Ahmad Thomas to get a shot at the NBA Draft!
Ahmad will get a chance. 6’5 can guard 1-4..Can do it all. Will probably go mid 2nd or undrafted but he’ll make a team. He will at worst be playing G-League ball. I believe if Ahmad would’ve stuck with football he’d been a round 1 or 2 guy. Him, Jarod Williams (had interest from ACC schools for football) and Keshawn Jones were unbelievable on the football field but they stuck with basketball.. Complete opposite of Los Poole (who is an ACC caliber basketball player)..

I really wonder how many State Championships would Salem have without all that HOME COOKING Hmmmmm....
He bored.. Grown tail man trying to tarnish a positive thread about kids from our city making it out. All these salem cats “making the practice squad” threads and they choose to bring that nonsense here...Can’t expect anything else from a salem fan.

Anytime someone makes it we shoud be happy. I am happy for all the kids and hope they get some good out of the game. It's not a competition about us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT