ADVERTISEMENT

Question about a balk?

3-3 Blitz

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 6, 2004
My son plays JV baseball. Last night a balk was called two consective pitches by the field umpire when the pitcher was in the strecth came to a stop but his glove didn't come to a stop below his chin. From what I could tell it was "if it was above his chin" only a couple inches. It was not over his head or anything. Is this the right call? I have done some reserch, I cant find anything that say this. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure there's a rule that says glove has to be below chin. as long as he comes to a stop, it should not be a balk.

Re: I think the rule folks

I've been watching and waiting for a football question. I'll see if I can get an answer from my baseball friends, maybe recruit someone to come aboard.

Re: I think the rule folks

OK, here is the answer sent to me by a good friend and umpire.

The key phrase is included in the rule, which is quoted below. By rule, the pitcher must set at or below his chin.

FED Rule 6-1-3

For the set position, the pitcher shall have the ball in either his gloved hand or his pitching hand. His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back. Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire nonpivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher’s plate. He shall go to the set position without interruption and in one continuous motion. He shall come to a complete and discernible stop (a change of direction is not considered an acceptable stop) with the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT