ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Martinsville fans

mmqp

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 22, 2006
So maybe you guys can provide some insight into this..

In 2017 and 2018 you guys played Dalton McMichael in benefit games if I'm not mistaken. But it appears that North Carolina counts these games as real games. Is this right? I know NC normally plays an 11 game regular season and with the game with Martinsville added in it would give McMichael an 11 game season..

Here are links to some articles I've dug up and in both it really does sound like they counted the games as such, just trying to make sense of how this works.

2017: https://www.greensboro.com/rockingh...cle_08579aac-8d1f-11e7-9eae-930d442c3639.html

2018: https://www.greensboro.com/rockingh...cle_604224ca-a4df-11e8-84b6-e30c4bcff907.html

Not real sure how they use it as far as playoffs but they do count it in their record. I was told ( and I dont know if this is right) that they play 11 but only count 10 towards their playoff seeding, they get to drop one of their non conference games. Things are different in NC. They dont know for certain until 7-8 weeks into the season what division they will be in for the playoffs. Reidsville for example is classified as D 2 but are near the cutoff for either the 2A or 2AA playoffs. Depending on the adm's of the schools they are split evenly into east and west regions between A & AA. 1 year you might be A and the next you might be AA depending on the enrollment of yours and other schools. We didnt play them(McMichael)this year as they decided to play Andrews High out of High Point but we do play Eden-Morehead this week.

Reactions: mmqp
Thank you for the valuable information. With the ability to drop a game it makes sense why they count those games. I like the way they do their divisions, seems like it allows for more flexibility.

Haven't kept up with it in the last couple of years, but NC is strange. HP1 has it basically right.

Schools play 11 games if one of them is a BG - it doesn't have to be game 1, (since half the teams are away that week). Then, they drop a non-district game (ANY game) from their record when it comes time to seed the playoffs (done by record - no points).

So, Appo could host Stone Bridge for a BG and lose, but be 10-0 for seeding purposes.

Reactions: NDRam
Speaking of Martinsville, how are they looking this year? I ask because I know they come to Galax this year and I would like to know what to expect out of them. This is just an assumption on my part but I'm thinking they will be athletic and physical???

Last edited:
Not very good. Have alot of kids out this year with a new coach but the majority of the kids that will play have little to no varsity experience. May be a long year. Galax will win by whatever margin they choose.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Not very good. Have alot of kids out this year with a new coach but the majority of the kids that will play have little to no varsity experience. May be a long year. Galax will win by whatever margin they choose.
Thanks for the info

Should be if we dont get anyone hurt during football season. Got a good core group coming back with a transfer or two thrown in, should be competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT