ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the brain trust.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Are you guys looking for any signifcant rules changes to come down from the NFHS this year?

What do you think will be the major points of emphasis this season?

I doubt there will be much. We'll find out in about a month.

One of the members of the committee told me the NFHS really, really wants to ban the bunch formation on a kickoff. I took a survey and was asked if that was an issue in my area. It is not.

I bet that either this year or next year that blindside blocks will be severly restricted. The change they're considering requires leading with open hands -- basically players who are running to block a defender who is looking the other way better just run up and push the guy. Personally, I don't like this either.

I've been part of discussions about changing intentional grounding rules to be closer to NCAA, which I am not in favor of doing.

If we're going to change something to be in line with the NCAA, change the rule requiring seven offensive players on the line of scrimmage to the NCAA rule which forbids more than four in the backfield. The difference is that a team with only 10 players on the field can legally play (at a disadvantage) and still have all their backs. Penalizing a team that has only 10 on the field and six on the line makes no sense. I doubt the committee will even discuss that.

Thanks, I would think the first thing that should be looked at is "what type of injuries are prevalent"? And then question whether the number or extent can be reduced via a rules modification. I would like to hope that this is exactly the methodology that was followed.

And then, look at changes to enhance the game.

Let me put you on the spot. Other than the 10 player issue, what would you change. I ask this same question of you other officials.

Is the post game hand shake a rule?

If I was king for a day, I'd eliminate all low blocks.

No, the post-game handshake is not required by rule.

I'm curious about "forward progress". What criteria is applied to award same.

Here is the rule. Rule 2-15-1,2, if you want the source.

ART. 1 . . . Forward progress is the end of advancement of the ball, toward the opponent’s goal, in a runner's possession or the forward-most point of the ball when it is fumbled out of bounds toward the opponent's goal and it determines the dead-ball spot.

ART. 2 . . . When an airborne player makes a catch, forward progress is the furthest point of advancement after he possesses the ball if contacted by a defender.

So the ball is put at the foremost spot the offense achieved, even if driven back. If, however, the ball carrier voluntarily gives up that spot in an attempt to go a different direction and get further, then that spot of forward progress goes away.

I assume "go in a different direction" is loosely defined? Or I may be splitting hairs. A ball carrier is moving along the line horizontally and an attemp to tackle takes place, but he continues moving horizontally, breaks free for a second, but then gets contacted and tackled a couple of yards deeper than originally stopped. Was his continued lateral effort considered "a different direction"?

Like at a good news conference, I have a follow up question, please.

What do you key on to blow the whistle when the proverbial "scrum" is taking place. Sometimes it seems like the officials let it go on too long and bad things happen, (such as tempers flare and a penalty ensues). And at other times the whistle seems to be premature, as the runner breaks free. I just wondered what is taught to officials as a guide.

In football there are only two directions -- forward and backward. If a runner is stopped from moving forward then a spot of progress is established. If he moves in such a way that he keeps moving forward, so does the spot. If he moves backward -- BUT HE IS IN CONTROL OF THIS MOVE -- then he loses that spot. If the deefnse is driving him back, the spot of forward progress remains. It all depends n whether he moves backward voluntarilty or whether the defense is moving him back.

One of the hardest judgment calls officials have to make is when to kill the play when a ball carrier is stopped. Do enough games and you'll blow a play dead only to have the runner pop free and then everyone's pissed. But as soon as you hold the whistle, the runner is popped in what will certainly be considered a near-mortal blow and high crime by the coaches and fans on that side. You have to judge if there's a chance to break the tackle or not and officiate accordingly. Sometime you judge wrong..

Both of those answers give me a lot more insight into what I see each week. Especially the "only two directions". That helps explain some of the "what the heck" spots. Thanks.

BTW, I forgot to answer your email. Yeah, I wish we could have met up for a few minutes at the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT