ADVERTISEMENT

Question

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
On a kickoff, can the kickers plant foot be ahead of the ball before it is kicked? I've seen a few on-sides kicks that it looked as if this took place.

Yes. The kicker, and the holder if there is one, can be beyond the free kick line when the ball is kicked.

Thank you, I know I'd never seen it called, but I was just wondering. In fact, I hadn't even thought about the fact that the holder on KO's is always past the ball.

The holder is gaining no advantge to be a few inches past the ball since he's kneeling. The guys who are running downfield must be behind the free kick line until the kick.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The holder is gaining no advantge to be a few inches past the ball since he's kneeling. The guys who are running downfield must be behind the free kick line until the kick.

I got drafted to be on the fence crew at our scrimmage last night. I enjoyed the experience, especially joking and talking with the officials and the team coaches. There were about a dozen officials there and they did their job, but they had a good time doing so. I wish I wasn't so old, or I would like to have tried to break into your profession. But, if I became an official, I wouldn't be able to sit up in the stands and point out all the bad calls would I? Text me what game you get assigned next week.

I got drafted to be on the fence crew at our scrimmage last night. I enjoyed the experience, especially joking and talking with the officials and the team coaches. There were about a dozen officials there and they did their job, but they had a good time doing so. I wish I wasn't so old, or I would like to have tried to break into your profession. But, if I became an official, I wouldn't be able to sit up in the stands and point out all the bad calls would I? Text me what game you get assigned next week.
Its a lot more fun to be on the floor or field to look up in the stands to see who the fans are that have never read a rule book.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Even on the sidelines, a Henrico coach was screaming at an official about a pass interference call on an "uncatchable" ball. One of his fellow assistant coachs had to educate him! So it's not solely in the stands.

A lot of the coaches have never read a rule book either. I had one coach ask me to show him a rule in the book. I told to get his rule book out and I would highlight it for future reference. The coach walked away with a stunned look on his face.

I learned at a very early age to know the rules of your trade better than anyone else. That puts you ahead of 98% of everybody else!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT