ADVERTISEMENT

Question?

3-3 Blitz

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 6, 2004
punting situation --- ball is snapped, ball hits ground and punter makes attempt to pick it up, (not sure if he touches ball or not) the ball goes through his legs, he then does a 180 and picks the ball up, after picking ball up his momentum makes him take a step or two backwards away from the line of scrimmage, all in one motion he turns and gets the punt off, then tackled. defence call for 15 yard ruffing punter. is this the correct call? Thanks!

No way to tell without seeing it, and since it's purely a judgment call I might disagree with the referee right there, and who's to say I'd be right?

All I can tell you is how the rules work. I'm not going to quote it word for word but here's what it says, paraphrased.

A defensive player cannot charge into a kicker after the kick has been made. There is leeway given to a player or players if it's not reasonably certain a kick would be made. So if the player is truly trying to make a tackle on a guy he thinks is a runner, he gets a pass. HOWEVER, if the kick is made, then the defenders do not have a free ticket to nail the punter. If the referee determines that contact could have been avoided, then roughing would be the correct call.

Is that clear as mud?

I had a play once where a punter took a botched snap and started running upfield. Two guys had him lined up and at the very last second, he kicked it, then they sandwiched him. I had no flag and the coach went nuts. But I've also had a punter run then punt and a guy clearly watched the punt fly right past him, then he still knocked the heck out of the punter and I flagged him. that coach went nuts, so I guess in those situations one coach is going to go crazy no matter which way it goes..

Blitz, I recall one year Altavista had a punter who faked getting hit on every punt if there was pressure. this guy would kick ball then fall, hoping to draw a flag.

Why are you ALWAYS downing Altavista. Why don't you grow up.
This post was edited on 9/25 10:36 AM by vtplaya8

Seems like a judgement call, then....

Based on what you've said, if the judgement of the official is that the defender reasonably thought the punter was a runner (judgement), and the hit isn't late (judgement), it's a legal hit. I like it that way, tough to argue either way. Let the ref call it as he sees it and move on.

Re: Seems like a judgement call, then....

That's how it usually works -- an official calls it has he sees it and everyone just moves on. Never another word uttered.

Yeah, I chuckled when I read that

I've coached 12-14 year olds and know how ridiculous we get. But, now that I do chains for a local high school team's home games, it gets comical. Apparently, you guys are deaf, blind and not very smart. Just ask any coach who's team you've ever flagged.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT