ADVERTISEMENT

Question.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I’ve seen the Kick Off receiving team at the college and pro level spread their arms straight out when the kick is going into the end zone, to indicate that they will not be fielding the ball. Is that really anything official? Does it have any application to high school ball?

I’ve seen the Kick Off receiving team at the college and pro level spread their arms straight out when the kick is going into the end zone, to indicate that they will not be fielding the ball. Is that really anything official? Does it have any application to high school ball?

The short answer is no, it’s nothing official per the rules. It may be something that they are signaling to teammates.

An act like that with the arms does have an impact on the play though. If it’s not a “pointing” act to the ball and is some form of intentional motion with the arm(s), it’s deemed an invalid fair catch signal - which means the ball is dead when possessed and can’t be advanced by R. I doubt most players know this (otherwise they probably wouldn’t do it), but the officials do.

This is for NCAA only.

Last edited:
They can't return a kick from the end zone in HS, so no, no reason to do it in HS.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I am pretty sure FBRef's keyboard failed him because I know he will see the typo in his response. The fact is a kickoff CAN'T be returned from the end zone in HS. If it's in the end zone, no motion of the arms is needed. If it's not, someone better be getting to the ball or it's going to be a very long onside kick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT