ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about Spotsylvania

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
For anyone in the know, are they going to take advantage of the opportunity given to them by the VHSL to move up to 4A and play with like-minded schools in a better regional setup during the next cycle?

Or is the SHS Administration still in Fantasy Land while continuing to think that they belong with the Richmond-area schools that they are grouped with in the current conference setup which the Knights have zero in common with?

It's no question that the decision makers at SHS have excelled in at least one thing in recent years; ineptitude. But it would be great from a regional standpoint to compete in athletic events where you have the opportunity to play longtime rivals along with playing against schools that you have something in common with (akin to the old Region II back in the early 90s before they moved to Region I).

I would love to know if anyone has heard anything about this.

For anyone in the know, are they going to take advantage of the opportunity given to them by the VHSL to move up to 4A and play with like-minded schools in a better regional setup during the next cycle?

Or is the SHS Administration still in Fantasy Land while continuing to think that they belong with the Richmond-area schools that they are grouped with in the current conference setup which the Knights have zero in common with?

It's no question that the decision makers at SHS have excelled in at least one thing in recent years; ineptitude. But it would be great from a regional standpoint to compete in athletic events where you have the opportunity to play longtime rivals along with playing against schools that you have something in common with (akin to the old Region II back in the early 90s before they moved to Region I).

The Administration at SHS is powerless to affect where they are classified. The VHSL has an unwavering formula based on ADM numbers. The 2017 and 2018 groupings will be determined by the ADM numbers compiled on March 31, 2016. And you can't simply take the ADM numbers from this date and use them in the previous parameters. (Although there will only be minimal changes in the parameters).

There are a few exceptions that could come into play, but for the most part they deal with known changes, such as a new school opening and the student population from an existing school being lowered because of school attendance district re-assignment.

Again, and not defending the school administration, (of which, I know nothing about), but they have absolutely no say in where a school is classified.

I hope this helps you understand a little better?

Last edited:

They elected to join the Richmond schools over joining Culpeper and James Monroe in that conference. So far so good for spotsylvania as long as they don't have to play basketball against those teams I think they have won almost every other conference championship this year. Going to 4A will prove or get them no where because they will continue to be in the gutter with those teams...

Dinwiddie, I was asking because in the district lineup for the next round of classification, there was a little blurb from the VHSL that Spotsylvania could move up. Didn't know if they were going to move forward with that. And to your point, Spotsylvania's enrollment has plummeted and the county is gutless when it comes to redistricting because they don't want to tick off a bunch of come-heres whose kids go to Riverbend (which is the county's newest high school of just over 10 years).

OCBoy, that's great that Spotsylvania has won all of those conference titles. The sad thing, is that I notice that the Free Lance-Star has severely trimmed their coverage of Spotsylvania over the past couple of years (since Ken Tilley shoved his conference-setup utopia down everyone's throats). The only conference title I ever remember reading about is when girls basketball won the conference and then lost to Huguenot for a bid to go to the state tournament two seasons ago. I've never read anything else about their success in other sports.

Is there a site that runs down results on a conference basis?

Thanks for both of your replies! Just a dormant time of year right now with the summer break just a short time away.

Dinwiddie, I was asking because in the district lineup for the next round of classification, there was a little blurb from the VHSL that Spotsylvania could move up. Didn't know if they were going to move forward with that. And to your point, Spotsylvania's enrollment has plummeted and the county is gutless when it comes to redistricting because they don't want to tick off a bunch of come-heres whose kids go to Riverbend (which is the county's newest high school of just over 10 years).

OCBoy, that's great that Spotsylvania has won all of those conference titles. The sad thing, is that I notice that the Free Lance-Star has severely trimmed their coverage of Spotsylvania over the past couple of years (since Ken Tilley shoved his conference-setup utopia down everyone's throats). The only conference title I ever remember reading about is when girls basketball won the conference and then lost to Huguenot for a bid to go to the state tournament two seasons ago. I've never read anything else about their success in other sports.

Is there a site that runs down results on a conference basis?

Thanks for both of your replies! Just a dormant time of year right now with the summer break just a short time away.
I just catch some things in the free lance star from time to time. Softball baseball and couple other sports they should be competing for the championships. I'm sure they haven't won all the championships but they definitely have competed and had a chance to

Can't find anything on the VHSL Website or anywhere else that can confirm, deny or even mention this. I think some verification is required here because they do not qualify under VHSL Classification rules and playing in a different District that brings plenty of travel and competition issues doesn't make sense at all.

I never said anything about them playing in a different district. That's how rumors get started. I simply asked a couple of questions to see if anyone knew anything about the direction of the athletics program from a conference/region/classiciation standpoint.

What I was asking is if anyone knew if they were going to take the VHSL on its offer to move up to 4A. Here is the "verification" where it's mentioned (scroll down to the second page). http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-recommended-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf

They can still play in the Battlefield District and I made ZERO mention of them ever leaving that district. But it looks like you clearly misunderstood my points and it's not even worth trying to convey what I was actually trying to point out because I thought I made that clear in my initial post.

What I was asking is if anyone knew if they were going to take the VHSL on its offer to move up to 4A. Here is the "verification" where it's mentioned (scroll down to the second page). http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-recommended-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf.

I don't see anything there that indicates that they have a choice where they're classified. It just means that their enrollment might be big enough for them to be bumped up to 4A the next two years. The VHSL doesn't allow teams to play up in a higher class anymore.

I never said anything about them playing in a different district. That's how rumors get started. I simply asked a couple of questions to see if anyone knew anything about the direction of the athletics program from a conference/region/classiciation standpoint.

What I was asking is if anyone knew if they were going to take the VHSL on its offer to move up to 4A. Here is the "verification" where it's mentioned (scroll down to the second page). http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-recommended-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf

They can still play in the Battlefield District and I made ZERO mention of them ever leaving that district. But it looks like you clearly misunderstood my points and it's not even worth trying to convey what I was actually trying to point out because I thought I made that clear in my initial post.
Districts was my bad but Spotsy was offered nothing. They may Change classification for different reasons but essentially, classification is based solely on ADM numbers. Obviously, a Spotsy redistricting is possible and may change the ADMs at all the County Schools, therefore the asterics, but Schools don't have a choice. An appeal process is in place but there are very few victories there without facts to dispute the ADMs. classification is based solely by Committee.

Last edited:

Spotsy will stay 3A. They have won conference tittles this year in Wrestling, Girls Softball, and Boys Baseball. They then went to regions to only play one game and out except the wrestling team who finished the year 24 - 5 during the season and 5th in Regions and 1 kid placed 6th at states. There wrestling coach is very good coach as they only had 7 kids when he got there and now are competing at every event they go to. Only had 3 seniors on the team and have started a club. He is also the head JV football coach at EV where he has gone 18-4 in two years with a district championship

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT