ADVERTISEMENT

Radford / Gate City Round 3...Who ya got?

hooper2tite

VaPreps Rookie
Jan 9, 2009
2018: State Qtrs, McClung vs. QMR - GC was up most of this game, with Radford cutting the lead to 3, two minutes into the 4th. Gate City responded with a 10-0 run and never looked back, winning 67-48. McClung finished with 24, Ervin with 22 for GC. Morton-Robertson led all scorers with 25. Gate City goes on to win the 2A title.

2019: State Semis, Radford gets revenge - With McClung gone, Radford still had its hands full with Zach Ervin, who had 20 points on 6 threes in the 3rd quarter as the teams exchanged leads. Radford took a 4 point lead into the 4th and pulled away behind QMR’s 21-point quarter. He finished with 42. Radford goes on to win the 2A title.

2020: Semifinal matchup begins at 6pm at Radford University’s Dedmon Center.

Who ya got? Why?

I'm biased. Plain and simple. If Cam Cormany is hot Radford wins, if he misses some shots I say they lose. The Dedmon never has been to kind to the Bobcats. It will come down to a few points in 4th Quarter. Radford 57 GC 54 or it could be the other way around.

Just judging off now close Wise played Radford and how they almost won at the buzzer, I believe GC wins but that's pure speculation.

I believe this game will be the most evenly matched one of the three played the past three seasons. This will come down to which of the supporting cast members show up the loudest. Dean and Cormany will get theirs, will Compton and Hensley hit shots? Will the Radford supporting cast make shots? This has turned into a respectful rivalry in my opinion. Gate City can rotate Starnes and Mac on Cormany and they are very quick and play tight. I’m not saying they will shut him down but they will make him have to hit difficult shots. Hensley has been a little off the last couple of games but if he can get going early I like GC’s chances. This will by far be the closest game compared to the last two. The unfortunate part about this is the winner, most likely, faces an NCAA team in the championship.

I'm picking Radford to win this game. No disrespect to East Rock, but JM by 20+.

i hate to say this because i dont like to pick GC for anything except for s*** patrol but i think they take radford down, i saw both teams play this year and i think dean will dominate this one

i hate to say this because i dont like to pick GC for anything except for s*** patrol but i think they take radford down, i saw both teams play this year and i think dean will dominate this one
I doubt anyone will dominate against Radford's defense. GC may win and Dean might have a good game, but I doubt he will dominate. Coach Cormany always has a good defensive team.

Pulling for Radford. I haven’t seen GC this year, but if I’m not mistaken, they have at least 3 seniors that were on the championship team two years ago. Experience definitely matters. Radford has grit, but looks to be a tough matchup for sure. I’ll be in attendance. Looking forward to it!

I don't have a dog in this fight but love to see all the folks that Gate City brings to the finals.
Since it is a Thursday the numbers maybe down.

Great game. Both teams had to work hard for shots all night. Gate City got the only few open looks from three all night and knocked down about four of them. Everything else was contested. Cormany was clutch for Radford, but the magic ran out in OT. Hats off to Bradley Dean who played with a ton of composure and was very selfless, dishing for two big layups in the game, including the tying basket in regulation. He only took one bad shot all night.

Give the Devil's their due, they have been shi* kicking teams in Hoops and Football in SWVA since the 1960s. Down in pigskin the last 5 years for a first time in school existence, it's a matter of time before they regain old form in that sport as well. They are THE winningest basketball and football 3A school in Region D/SWVA since 1960, and you can see why members of their own region come on here and release their venom against Gate City. They hate em.

This 2019-20 team is THE Best Defensive GC team in many years. That includes better defense for this year than the previous 4 or 5 with McClung and Ervin. Offensively, not as good as the last 4 or so.

This makes the Radford game a tossup. The Cats are nowhere close to the level of play this year compared to the last few, but........they are still GC. Great job for the Devil's this year to come out ahead of Dan River, Radford, Mahavi, Central, Graham, and Glenvar from the East. They are there because of defense.

I'm a little confused by the wording. By what metrics is GC the best football school in SWVA? By combining the two sports? I assume you mean 2A, 3A would just be Abingdon and GC is considerably better than them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT