ADVERTISEMENT

Radford Gate City

According to their website, it seats up to 2500. That won't be anywhere close to enough for the amount of people that will be there.

According to their website, it seats up to 2500. That won't be anywhere close to enough for the amount of people that will be there.

That’s why I was asking. UVA-Wise had to shut the door last night at 5,000 people. First sell out they’ve ever had. Gate City fans and people that want to see Mac would fill more than 2,500 seats and that’s not even adding in the huge following the bobcats have with a closer drive.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
McClung sure can score but his lack of defense was exposed last night. Baker and Martin beat him off the dribble and took the ball to the basket against him on numerous occasions. He will have to improve defensively if he expects to see the court at Georgetown.

Reactions: thegift72
VHSL brackets show it at Radford (I assume Dedmon Center)

Yeah, just seen the bracket. It shows the game on Friday, 8:30 p.m., at Radford University ( Tentatively )

Graham/Martinsville shows Fri/Sat at Tazewell High School, but the game will actually be at Tazewell Middle School. Hopefully they’ll play Saturday so we don’t have to choose which one to go see.

Just got word from the Mavahi AD that the game will be at UVa-Wise As part of a quadruple header. Mart & Central Wise then Eastside girls and boys then Mavahi-Graham in the nitecap on Saturday.

Reactions: pizzzzza
eh31 please realize that all 5000 fans may have been there to see mcclung, but they were not all GC fans, eastside, honaker, and other locals have a big fan base and will not be at the radford GC game, and after all the flooding in Scott county today from all the crying from last nights NOT so major upset they may not be able to get out to go to the game

eh31 please realize that all 5000 fans may have been there to see mcclung, but they were not all GC fans, eastside, honaker, and other locals have a big fan base and will not be at the radford GC game, and after all the flooding in Scott county today from all the crying from last nights NOT so major upset they may not be able to get out to go to the game

9fter please realize that I didn’t say there was 5,000 gate city fans. I said there would be more than 2,500 people combined who are either GC fans or people who will show up to see Mac. As big as social media has made Mac and as large as the Roanoke Valley’s population is there could be that many that would come out for a couple hours just to see Mac himself.

I see you like to take digs at Gate City and that’s fine but don’t waste my time by naming me in them

Reactions: GMAlum
Just got word from the Mavahi AD that the game will be at UVa-Wise As part of a quadruple header. Mart & Central Wise then Eastside girls and boys then Mavahi-Graham in the nitecap on Saturday.

Wow!

What a great day of basketball!

Do you think there is only going to be one price for all the games?

I know that Mac set the single season scoring mark a few games ago, but how many more points does he need to set the all-time record?

I would think he would need more than 1 game to achieve it.

This is from the article after GC beat Lebanon:

"A 38-point-per-game scorer who is now 163 points shy of equaling the state's career scoring record with a possibility of five games remaining, McClung tried to put the achievement in perspective."

And I think he scored 43 against Union and 39 against Graham last night.

So that be 163-43-39 = 81 points to score for all time record

Does that sound right?

In that case, he would need 'at least' two games I would think. (Radford and State Semi)

Last edited:
I know that Mac set the single season scoring mark a few games ago, but how many more points does he need to set the all-time record?

I would think he would need more than 1 game to achieve it.

This is from the article after GC beat Lebanon:

"A 38-point-per-game scorer who is now 163 points shy of equaling the state's career scoring record with a possibility of five games remaining, McClung tried to put the achievement in perspective."

And I think he scored 43 against Union and 39 against Graham last night.

So that be 163-43-39 = 81 points to score for all time record

Does that sound right?

In that case, he would need 'at least' two games I would think. (Radford and State Semi)

A reporter that has been keeping a running total all season has him at 2,688. If that’s correct he would need 82 to tie & 83 to break.

Reactions: pizzzzza
GC fans aren't bandwagon fans. We support the kids no matter what. I guarantee you there will be just as many fans at the game as there would have been if GC won last night.

Yeah, just seen the bracket. It shows the game on Friday, 8:30 p.m., at Radford University ( Tentatively )

Graham/Martinsville shows Fri/Sat at Tazewell High School, but the game will actually be at Tazewell Middle School. Hopefully they’ll play Saturday so we don’t have to choose which one to go see.

If the games at RU then Radford has home court advantage, won't surprise me if they practice on it every day this week.

Don't know much about the region, but it seems stupid for Martinsville to have to travel all the way to Wise instead of playing in Tazewell County. Would that not add 2 hours to the trip? Additionally, if Graham is the home team, does it make since for them to have to travel about 2 hours from home to host a home game? I don't know the distance from there to Wise, but I assume just under 2 hours.

Don't know much about the region, but it seems stupid for Martinsville to have to travel all the way to Wise instead of playing in Tazewell County. Would that not add 2 hours to the trip? Additionally, if Graham is the home team, does it make since for them to have to travel about 2 hours from home to host a home game? I don't know the distance from there to Wise, but I assume just under 2 hours.

Apparently the Tazewell gym was already booked for of all things a school dance.

It doesn't make sense why they didn't choose either Lebanon or Virginia High though in its place, as both are suitable and closer than Wise.

Although it doesn't really bother me they're playing it at Wise now because that means I get to read AntGZee's cries of despair all week now. Lol.

Graham really gets screwed. Having to drive 2 hours to play a game you earned to have near you, plus Martinsville will have more fan support with both boys and girls teams playing in the same place.

Graham really gets screwed. Having to drive 2 hours to play a game you earned to have near you, plus Martinsville will have more fan support with both boys and girls teams playing in the same place.

Graham seems to play well at UVAW tho, like the rims and the baskets.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why in the world would Graham choose to do this? I know for a fact that the Tazewell site was offered. 25 minute drive vs 2 hr plus drive. WhWhyPlus A lot of the Graham fans will not be able to make this trip and would love to see this game. Youre giving away the advantage that you got by winning region D.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why in the world would Graham choose to do this? I know for a fact that the Tazewell site was offered. 25 minute drive vs 2 hr plus drive. WhWhyPlus A lot of the Graham fans will not be able to make this trip and would love to see this game. Youre giving away the advantage that you got by winning region D.

I posted above that the Tazewell gym was already booked. But the better question, since Tazewell was booked, why not fellow SWD members Lebanon and Virginia High? Both of those gyms are capable and closer than UVa-Wise. And Virginia High is already hosting the Abingdon 3A girls game with Brookville

We were told last night before we left Radford that the game was being played at Tazewell. In fact I believe they announced it over the p.a. during the trophy presentation. First I heard about Wise was this afternoon when the AD texted a bunch of us to let us know about the change. Said he got the news from the Graham coach. Didn't share any news about why the change was made.

We were told last night before we left Radford that the game was being played at Tazewell. In fact I believe they announced it over the p.a. during the trophy presentation. First I heard about Wise was this afternoon when the AD texted a bunch of us to let us know about the change. Said he got the news from the Graham coach. Didn't share any news about why the change was made.

A school dance already booked for the Tazewell gym

The majority of GC fans may not be bandwagon fans but let's be real, fan numbers increase when a team has as much hype as you do. Without McClung you don't sell out the gym, with him you pack the house. It happens with every team that goes through the up and down cycle. Everyone in GC thought they would coast to the title. Now, with the loss, doubt has crept in. People want to be a part of the title run, but may not want to spend the time and money on doubt.

The majority of GC fans may not be bandwagon fans but let's be real, fan numbers increase when a team has as much hype as you do. Without McClung you don't sell out the gym, with him you pack the house. It happens with every team that goes through the up and down cycle. Everyone in GC thought they would coast to the title. Now, with the loss, doubt has crept in. People want to be a part of the title run, but may not want to spend the time and money on doubt.
Seriously doubt everyone in GC thought they'd coast to the title. That's an awful big assumption for a program that's never won one before. Confidence that they have a team good enough to have a chance, yea, but to say everyone from GC knew they'd coast to the title is dumb. Yea, next year there may not be a line 2-3 hours before the doors open for a game but it will still be packed. The game against Radford is a Friday night and it's late enough to where most people won't have to take off a whole day of work to go. I'll bet there will be a very nice showing of GC supporters.

If the games at RU then Radford has home court advantage, won't surprise me if they practice on it every day this week.

Agreed. I thought it would be in Salem, but a nice break for Radford. They have had to travel to Bristol (2+ hours) many years as Region C (West) Champs, including last year. Hate it for Graham that they don’t get a closer game. The system seems pretty flawed still but it is what it is.

@swva_havok_fan, AntGZee won't and I repeat won't be crying. No punks here lol. I don't mind traveling. I'm just not crazy about it sometimes, depending on the place lol.

Good attitude to have.

For the record, I am pulling extremely hard for the Lady Dawgs to get the W over the Walmart Lady Warriors. Us Ridgeview folks don't want to hear Central gloating for another year. Lol

in years past seating capacity had a lot to do with choosing a site to host a game, is tazewell's gym big enough to host a game of this magnitude

old buc, you dont know the people that live in GC lol, yes they did think they had a easy shot to the title game, they thought all that dunking couldn't be beat and they had it in the bag, they didn't realize you had to play D and develope a bench, and work together on Offense to build chemistry and such, they thought all those impressive dunks were going to get them that state championship

old buc, you dont know the people that live in GC lol, yes they did think they had a easy shot to the title game, they thought all that dunking couldn't be beat and they had it in the bag, they didn't realize you had to play D and develope a bench, and work together on Offense to build chemistry and such, they thought all those impressive dunks were going to get them that state championship
Well, again, you're wrong on your assessment. GC definitely doesn't have a bench though. The D isn't anything to brag about but that's because they could get by with it until now. I didn't think they played terrible D the other night but they never made the adjustments they needed to like Graham did. When Mac was guarding the point I think he done ok. They did get by him a few times but he was also playing with 3 fouls there for a lot of those drives but a couple of times he still deflected the ball if they got around him. The one kid dribbled at the half court line and then drove and either passed it off or took it to the rim. I believe he shot about 15 fouls shots. I kinda thought GC would try that more but they also weren't getting the same calls. Now I'm not saying that's why GC lost because even if the refs actually acted like they knew what they were doing, Graham still would have won that game because they were definitely the better team that night.

Obviously I'm pulling for my Lady Dawgs too. I'm gonna be 100 with you, don't get your hopes UP of the Lady Dawgs beating Wise. I hate saying that but I'm keeping real.

NEWS FLASH
Hype train wrecks on the way to nowhere! Social media is out of control and so is all the McClung love !

in years past seating capacity had a lot to do with choosing a site to host a game, is tazewell's gym big enough to host a game of this magnitude

Yes. But as I have mentioned three times already, the Tazewell gym was already booked for something else. A school dance I believe.

The question that needs to be answered is why Carlock chose Wise over Lebanon or Virginia High once he found out Tazewell was already booked? Lebanon and Virginia High are both fellow SWD members and both gyms are more than capable of hosting a game of this magnitude and both closer to Bluefield than Wise.

Reactions: eh31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT